Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
User avatar
bigjohn
Turtle Supporter
Posts: 5035
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015
Location: Western Washington

Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby bigjohn » Wed Feb 13, 2019

Many think they have it bad with taxation. Every jurisdiction has unique tax codes and some of those taxes are ridiculously high, some might be ridiculously LOW (yea right lol), some are just silly, others are outright crazy. I thought I’d create a thread for you guys to talk about some interesting taxes in spots where you live (or visited). Notice how I didn’t start this in politics thread? That’s by design, I don’t want this to turn into a Trump hating (or dems/socialist hating) argument, find plenty of those in the countless political threads.

I will start. The wonderful Seattle WA state taxes sugary beverages at an additional 1.75c per ounce. Not a big deal, right? To give you some perspective, a 2-liter bottle of soda that usually runs around $1 at big stores now has a tax of $1.18 (yep, 118% tax). A case of coke at Costco runs $10, tax on it is $7.35 (so a much more reasonable 73% tax there :roll: ) Diet sodas are exempt

WA state taxes hard liquor at 30%, that’s on a top of already higher than average taxes. I just bought a fifth of Bombay for $22 and tax was just shy of $7.

Whatcha got gang? The grass is always greener on the other side..........or not?
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

User avatar
MaxGravy
Site Admin
Posts: 16519
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009
Location: Texas

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby MaxGravy » Wed Feb 13, 2019

Image
I'm clearly not very bright.

User avatar
bigjohn
Turtle Supporter
Posts: 5035
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015
Location: Western Washington

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby bigjohn » Wed Feb 13, 2019

MaxGravy wrote:Image

I’d move to Texas in a heartbeat (and probably will later in life). Job, life, kids’ routines, etc. gets in a way but give me a few more years. I have heard that property taxes are less than ideal in Texas, not sure how true that is. I also read that while is no tax on clothing in Texas, unfortunately for Texas cowboys, belt buckles don’t count as clothing, and are subsequently subjected to a state sales tax :lol:
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

User avatar
loosechange808
Posts: 879
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016
Location: Banana Republic, Hawaii

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby loosechange808 » Wed Feb 13, 2019

bigjohn wrote:WA state taxes hard liquor at 30%, that’s on a top of already higher than average taxes. I just bought a fifth of Bombay for $22 and tax was just shy of $7.


My to do list:
1. Live in Washington State.

User avatar
Diggin4copper
Kraken Supporter
Posts: 1704
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby Diggin4copper » Wed Feb 13, 2019

A couple years ago, Massachusetts decided to tax liquor sales. There is a tax of 4 dollars per gallon of liquor. They started to tax the taxed liquor! Believe it or not, the citizens actually voted to overturn this double taxation.. I was surprised at my mostly brain dead fellow citizens..
Outstanding!

User avatar
MaxGravy
Site Admin
Posts: 16519
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009
Location: Texas

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby MaxGravy » Wed Feb 13, 2019

bigjohn wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:Image

I’d move to Texas in a heartbeat (and probably will later in life). Job, life, kids’ routines, etc. gets in a way but give me a few more years. I have heard that property taxes are less than ideal in Texas, not sure how true that is. I also read that while is no tax on clothing in Texas, unfortunately for Texas cowboys, belt buckles don’t count as clothing, and are subsequently subjected to a state sales tax :lol:


Property taxes can be high, not California high but close in some counties. We pay almost $600/month but we have a big house on a large lot in a rural area. There are probably more people in your subdivision than our entire county - 20k.

Sales tax is 8% but 0% on precious metals. The big difference is no state income tax. Compare that to 11% in CA. This is a huge difference that can't be understated.

Cost of living is less here as well. Auto insurance is practically free and gas is currently $1.79/gallon, probably cheaper if I was willing to shop around. The best part is living out in the country with small town quality of life and a slower friendlier more human pace. I could never go back.
I'm clearly not very bright.

User avatar
Silversaving
Platinum Supporter
Posts: 1393
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby Silversaving » Wed Feb 13, 2019

ImageSeeking Rodebaugh Serial #'s 9 & 23.

bazzytangokoko
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby bazzytangokoko » Wed Feb 13, 2019

NJ = TAX (they are synonyms)

The thing that gets me the most aggravated is the inheritance tax. So think about this - a person buys a house from taxed money (money they saved after taxes), pays property taxes until they own the property, and then the kids pay inheritance tax when that house gets inherited (triple taxation this?). Granted there were some tax breaks for owning property in the past years (which I believe they are ending now), but this is what keeps the masses working until they're 80. Property taxes in NJ are amongst the highest in the country - and it especially affects retired folks.

And yes, there is high state income tax, and IIRC just over 7% sales tax.
Chairman of the Bored

User avatar
Purple and Gold
Posts: 9105
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby Purple and Gold » Wed Feb 13, 2019

Every time a car is sold in La. there is a 9.5%-10.5% sales tax paid by the buyer. New or used. Thats crazy and why i drive a '96, lol. ( not really why but i have had it for 21 yrs now as a second car )
Also there is a sales tax on mobile home sales, and thats a lot of taxes to pay upfront for someone who cant afford to buy a house
ImageImageImage

User avatar
bigjohn
Turtle Supporter
Posts: 5035
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2015
Location: Western Washington

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby bigjohn » Wed Feb 13, 2019

Purple and Gold wrote:Every time a car is sold in La. there is a 9.5%-10.5% sales tax paid by the buyer. New or used. Thats crazy and why i drive a '96, lol. ( not really why but i have had it for 21 yrs now as a second car )
Also there is a sales tax on mobile home sales, and thats a lot of taxes to pay upfront for someone who cant afford to buy a house

Same thing here in Washington state. I rant about this frequently because it’s absolutely ridiculous. Somebody buys a brand new car, pays a 10% tax. They sell it to private party two years later, the person buying it pays at 10% tax. There are almost no ways to get around it because even if the car is a gift or the bill of sale has a very low value, the DMV will pull book value and will tax you on purchase price or book value, which ever is higher. As long as that same car keeps getting sold, the state will keep collecting a tax on it. There are actually countless examples where the state have collected more in sales taxes on a used car than what the car cost brand new. As a car guy who likes cars and buys them frequently, this definitely gets me more than most.
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

User avatar
agnostic
BS Supporter
Posts: 2431
Joined: Sun Jul 20, 2014
Location: PNW

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby agnostic » Thu Feb 14, 2019

Our "wonderful" city passed a $90,000,000 bond issue for a new high school. Needless to
say property taxes have gone thru the roof. AND all the middle class families can no
longer afford to live here so the student population is declining. They sure do have a
nice new school tho :shock:

User avatar
Rik Bitter
Gold Jester
Posts: 2846
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2016
Location: PA

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby Rik Bitter » Thu Feb 14, 2019

bigjohn wrote:
I will start. The wonderful Seattle WA state taxes sugary beverages at an additional 1.75c per ounce. Not a big deal, right? To give you some perspective, a 2-liter bottle of soda that usually runs around $1 at big stores now has a tax of $1.18 (yep, 118% tax). A case of coke at Costco runs $10, tax on it is $7.35 (so a much more reasonable 73% tax there :roll: ) Diet sodas are exempt


Philly has the same thing except diet beverages are not exempt. After the first year of implementation, the markets within the city limits reported drastic drop off of soda sales, the local distributors had laid of 8% of their drivers and the tax failed to bring in it's projected revenue. I read an article on philly.com about a huge increase in beverage sales at grocery stores just outside the city limits. (sorry, don't remember the actual numbers) It's almost like taxes affect peoples behavior. I'm sure city council was just shocked when it didn't bring in the money they had planned on. Morons.
I'm down to the last three pieces to complete my YPS collection:
1oz. Yin Yang Hex
2oz. Ankh
3oz. Peace Sign

Also any serial #17 & 18s. Please contact me if you have any of these for sale.


ImageImage

User avatar
MrGaribaldi
Silver Supporter
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby MrGaribaldi » Thu Feb 14, 2019

bazzytangokoko wrote:The thing that gets me the most aggravated is the inheritance tax. So think about this - a person buys a house from taxed money (money they saved after taxes), pays property taxes until they own the property, and then the kids pay inheritance tax when that house gets inherited (triple taxation this?).

Not true.

Class A beneficiaries (second link) don't pay inheritance tax. Children are Class A beneficiaries.
Estate tax (yes, NJ has both) was eliminated in 2018.

So if you're a child of the deceased, you don't pay inheritance or estate taxes, as long as the decedent passed away after 1/1/2018.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxati ... ates.shtml

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxati ... lasses.pdf
And life goes on ......

silverhead
Silver Supporter
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012
Location: Taxafornia

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby silverhead » Thu Feb 14, 2019

CRV fees. California refund value, you have to pay CRV if you buy plastic , or glass containers. In my experience you pay about $0.05 per 16 oz plastic bottle but only get back about $0.03 in refund after collecting, storing, transporting and waiting in line in a usually nasty , smelly recycling center. Any less on the refund and I would probably just chunk them in my blue can.
ImageImageImage

silverhead
Silver Supporter
Posts: 3168
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012
Location: Taxafornia

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby silverhead » Thu Feb 14, 2019

bazzytangokoko wrote:NJ = TAX (they are synonyms)

The thing that gets me the most aggravated is the inheritance tax. So think about this - a person buys a house from taxed money (money they saved after taxes), pays property taxes until they own the property, and then the kids pay inheritance tax when that house gets inherited (triple taxation this?). Granted there were some tax breaks for owning property in the past years (which I believe they are ending now), but this is what keeps the masses working until they're 80. Property taxes in NJ are amongst the highest in the country - and it especially affects retired folks.

And yes, there is high state income tax, and IIRC just over 7% sales tax.


Looking for clarification-
So in your state, you only have to pay property taxes until the property is paid off?
In Ca, you pay property tax forever
ImageImageImage

fmsfms2003
Posts: 233
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby fmsfms2003 » Thu Feb 14, 2019

I predict we see in the next 20 years a Federal VAT like they have in Europe. How the hell else are we going to fund everything that everybody seems to think we need.

bazzytangokoko
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby bazzytangokoko » Thu Feb 14, 2019

MrGaribaldi wrote:
bazzytangokoko wrote:The thing that gets me the most aggravated is the inheritance tax. So think about this - a person buys a house from taxed money (money they saved after taxes), pays property taxes until they own the property, and then the kids pay inheritance tax when that house gets inherited (triple taxation this?).

Not true.

Class A beneficiaries (second link) don't pay inheritance tax. Children are Class A beneficiaries.
Estate tax (yes, NJ has both) was eliminated in 2018.

So if you're a child of the deceased, you don't pay inheritance or estate taxes, as long as the decedent passed away after 1/1/2018.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxati ... ates.shtml

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxati ... lasses.pdf



I guess I got confused between the two - I should've said Estate taxes.

I know of a case - happened in 2015 - where these taxes were paid when the estate was passed on to the kids as per the will.
Chairman of the Bored

bazzytangokoko
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby bazzytangokoko » Thu Feb 14, 2019

silverhead wrote:
bazzytangokoko wrote:NJ = TAX (they are synonyms)

The thing that gets me the most aggravated is the inheritance tax. So think about this - a person buys a house from taxed money (money they saved after taxes), pays property taxes until they own the property, and then the kids pay inheritance tax when that house gets inherited (triple taxation this?). Granted there were some tax breaks for owning property in the past years (which I believe they are ending now), but this is what keeps the masses working until they're 80. Property taxes in NJ are amongst the highest in the country - and it especially affects retired folks.

And yes, there is high state income tax, and IIRC just over 7% sales tax.


Looking for clarification-
So in your state, you only have to pay property taxes until the property is paid off?
In Ca, you pay property tax forever


No. Property taxes are paid until you own the property - even after it is fully paid off.
Chairman of the Bored

jcz1
Posts: 5181
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011
Location: USA

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby jcz1 » Thu Feb 14, 2019

Virginia has one of the lowest cigarette taxes in the country. I think we end up "exporting" many to other states (black market, not legal).

User avatar
christostock
Supporter
Posts: 2597
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010
Location: Massachusetts

Re: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

Postby christostock » Thu Feb 14, 2019

Subject: Funny, Crazy, or Outright Ridiculous Taxes

bazzytangokoko wrote:
silverhead wrote:
bazzytangokoko wrote:NJ = TAX (they are synonyms)

The thing that gets me the most aggravated is the inheritance tax. So think about this - a person buys a house from taxed money (money they saved after taxes), pays property taxes until they own the property, and then the kids pay inheritance tax when that house gets inherited (triple taxation this?). Granted there were some tax breaks for owning property in the past years (which I believe they are ending now), but this is what keeps the masses working until they're 80. Property taxes in NJ are amongst the highest in the country - and it especially affects retired folks.

And yes, there is high state income tax, and IIRC just over 7% sales tax.


Looking for clarification-
So in your state, you only have to pay property taxes until the property is paid off?
In Ca, you pay property tax forever


No. Property taxes are paid until you own the property - even after it is fully paid off.


I think the correct statement is this
You pay property tax while you own the property
(whether you are paid in full or not makes NO DIFFERENCE)
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank. Other payments options check, MO, cash
Please remind me for feedback if I have forgotten. I will also remind you if you have forgotten. Thanks for the awesome forum we have here.
Image


Return to “Burgers and Beers”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: everything and 5 guests