What would you rather buy, if the price was the same?

Please put all polls here.

What would you rather buy, if the price was the same?

100 BU American Silver Eagles in the original tubes.
59%
100 BU Engelhard American Prospectors in the original tubes.
41%

Total votes: 92

rawteam1

Re: What would you rather buy, if the price was the same?

Postby rawteam1 » Wed Mar 15, 2017

There's always a time and place to hit the bid...
keceph `anah

fredzoyt
Spiritual Supporter

Postby fredzoyt » Wed Mar 15, 2017

Mr. Ed wrote:Engelhards are over rated.
:turtle:

WHAT?! :shock: BLASPHEMY! :angel:

I'd go with with SAE's too for many of the reasons already stated. :thumbup:
http://www.the-highway.com/ultimate_questions.html
http://www.gotquestions.org/way-of-salvation.html

Phil. 2:10 so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth,

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Fri Feb 01, 2019

Are Silver Eagles a Waste of Money?!

Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.
Bitcoin: 1QC9tcPcA5R82CHr61BrkPgdh4fVmcCsgd

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Fri Feb 01, 2019

silverhead wrote:Being that the Engelhards are only 1982-1987 and much lower mintage, and the ASE from 1986 to "eternity" with the recent dates in the tens of millions, not exactly apples to apples comparison. A key date ASE is probably worth more though, but I would go with the 100 Engelhard.

In October of 2014, the US Mint produced more ASEs than Engelhard produced in all sizes at all facilities worldwide.
Collectable bullion from any mint currently sells for a premium.

I'm not talking about "modern-numi" issues. I'm talking about those unknown brands of silver that dealers purchased at a discount (non-retail-friendly) and shipped off to a refinery. Tier 1, 2, & 3 Engelhard bars will prove to be a great investment, and in 10 years you'll be happy you bought them now, especially since prices have cooled down.

BU Prospectors are a steal. So are the die-stamped Tier 1 & 2 bars in the 5 & 10 ounce sizes. I can't comment on the poured/cast bars, because I don't follow them.

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Fri Feb 01, 2019

Bucketeer wrote:
silverhead wrote:Being that the Engelhards are only 1982-1987 and much lower mintage, and the ASE from 1986 to "eternity" with the recent dates in the tens of millions, not exactly apples to apples comparison. A key date ASE is probably worth more though, but I would go with the 100 Engelhard.

In October of 2014, the US Mint produced more ASEs than Engelhard produced in all sizes at all facilities worldwide.
Collectable bullion from any mint currently sells for a premium.

I'm not talking about "modern-numi" issues. I'm talking about those unknown brands of silver that dealers purchased at a discount (non-retail-friendly) and shipped off to a refinery. Tier 1, 2, & 3 Engelhard bars will prove to be a great investment, and in 10 years you'll be happy you bought them now, especially since prices have cooled down.

BU Prospectors are a steal. So are the die-stamped Tier 1 & 2 bars in the 5 & 10 ounce sizes. I can't comment on the poured/cast bars, because I don't follow them.

so we agree? :thumbup:
I'd take the 100 engelhards, except that I don't have any, it was a hypothetical, probably in a year I won't have any eagles either
ImageImageImage

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Sat Feb 02, 2019

Yes Sir, your good taste and superior logic have been noted by the scribes, in the annals of BS.

Start small, and big things happen. One single Prospector might represent a mustard seed, but in 5 years it could very well become the root of a large mustard tree. That is the magic of stacking. Focus on the size of your stack, not the daily market prices.

There is nothing wrong with a nest of Eagles, but they are, and will continue to be a distant second place to Prospectors, and a few other mints. Nonetheless, Eagles are a good choice for bullion, but pale in comparison to Prospectors. Besides that, the design hasn't changed since inception and Eagles are boring as fuc.

Eagles.......... vs Ashai................Winner is Ashai.
Eagles.......... vs RCM..................Winner is RCM.
Eagles.......... vs JM....................Winner is Johnson Matthey.
Eagles.......... vs Engelhard...........Winner is Engelhard.
Eagles.......... vs Maple Leafs.........Winner is Eagles.
Eagles.......... vs GSM..................Winner is Eagles.
Eagles.......... vs Silvertowne.........Winner is Eagles
Eagles.......... vs Perth Mint...........Pick 'em, slight edge toward Eagles.
Eagles.......... vs PAMP.................Eagles (PAMP is a nice product but too costly).
Eagle........... vs Southern Cross......Eagles are a much better value.
Eagles.......... vs US Silver Dollars....Eagles.
Eagles.......... vs Generic Rounds.....The winner depends on a number of factors, decided by the buyer's intentions.

Buying Silver is like buying AA batteries. Your best bet is Duracell or Energizer, yet your choices also include Ray-O-Vac, Everyready, Sanyo, Dollar General, and numerous unknown Chinese brands....blah, blah, blah.

If you were launching on a rocket, or having heart surgery, what brand batteries would YOU prefer in the instruments being used to display and record real-time information?

Eagles are a good choice, but Prospectors are always better. and usually preferred by experienced stackers.

Don't argue about recouping some portion of the premium you spent for ANY silver bar. In a fast market, all silver is purchased as generic silver, and usually at a discount.

I guess I'll never understand "modern-numi" as being anything more then a risky "flip". I realize most of the Modern-Numi coins are "limited editions". So what.

To me, that means these coins are limited to the total number of orders that they receive. These are manufactured rarities that are legal tender in some obscure and windward Southern Pacific Island or African shithole country.

Sunrise is approaching. Time for the old Bear to quit ranting, make a pot of coffee, and think about a late-morning nap.

Return to “Polling Place”