SSL Certificate

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
tigerwoodz

SSL Certificate

Postby tigerwoodz » Fri Aug 10, 2018

Is there a reason this forum doesn’t have an SSL certificate? It’s really easy to set up. Google is starting to delist non secured sites from organic results, and for new users now the Chrome browser will warn that BS might be hackers trying to steal your info.

Please PM me if any mods/site owners want some more info.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Re: SSL Certificate

Postby MaxGravy » Fri Aug 10, 2018

tigerwoodz wrote:Is there a reason this forum doesn’t have an SSL certificate? It’s really easy to set up. Google is starting to delist non secured sites from organic results, and for new users now the Chrome browser will warn that BS might be hackers trying to steal your info.

Please PM me if any mods/site owners want some more info.

"Easy" is not the way it was explained to me. This site has thousands of external links that are not SSL. How do we deal with those?
Image Image Image
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

tigerwoodz

When it was set up on the e-commerce site I work with, we used some product that made it a pretty quick process. Let me find out the name of it.

I didn’t mean to come off like a jerk or anything, I had just suggested this website to somebody on Reddit and I got blasted for it not having a certificate.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

tigerwoodz wrote:When it was set up on the e-commerce site I work with, we used some product that made it a pretty quick process. Let me find out the name of it.

I didn’t mean to come off like a jerk or anything, I had just suggested this website to somebody on Reddit and I got blasted for it not having a certificate.

No, no, you're not coming across as a jerk. All suggestions here are very much appreciated. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. However an e-commerce site would have control over all content. That's not so for BS. Our developer has looked into this a couple times and it wasn't feasible. Please share whatever info you have. :thumbup:
Image Image Image

escher

Postby escher » Fri Aug 10, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:
No, no, you're not coming across as a jerk. All suggestions here are very much appreciated. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. However an e-commerce site would have control over all content. That's not so for BS. Our developer has looked into this a couple times and it wasn't feasible. Please share whatever info you have. :thumbup:

The lack of SSL was the first thing that hit me too. SSL is free these days (using the EFF certbot tool) and doesn't take much time. I do this for a living and can probably make it happen pretty quickly if you want. Your embedded content from kitco, weblinks247, duq2, coppercave, etc would still be http of course, but you'll keep google from downgrading your site rank and keep everyone's login info more secure. Send me a PM if interested.

escher

Postby escher » Fri Aug 10, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:No, no, you're not coming across as a jerk. All suggestions here are very much appreciated. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time. However an e-commerce site would have control over all content. That's not so for BS. Our developer has looked into this a couple times and it wasn't feasible. Please share whatever info you have. :thumbup:

Forgot to mention; I assume you actually have access to your server...

tigerwoodz

MaxGravy wrote:

I just asked the dev we use for my work's ecommerce site, and he said that we bought our cert for an annual fee through our web host, but that there is some functionality with our new CMS(Sitecore) that makes it pretty easy to use. Before that, we made use of a service called Cloudflare that would force all of our users to see an HTTPS version of the site.

Hope that helps!

MaxGravy
Site Admin

I've never cared about google rankings. We don't have ads so no reason to track metrics. The right people always seem to find us.

But I am concerned about security. If this would make the site more secure then I'm all ears. PM sent.
Image Image Image

christostock
Supporter

Postby christostock » Fri Aug 10, 2018

I dont think ssl is necessary unless you are processing payments.
That is when people want to see the httpS.
Just another cost that doesnt make sense to me for this website.
Now accepting direct payments through Wells Fargo bank and TD bank. Other payments options check, MO, cash
Please remind me for feedback if I have forgotten. I will also remind you if you have forgotten. Thanks for the awesome forum we have here.

ThePowersThatBe
Site Tech

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Fri Aug 10, 2018

escher wrote:Your embedded content from kitco, weblinks247, duq2, coppercave, etc would still be http of course

This is the problem. Mixed content causes more headaches than it solves. There are 3000+ user signatures, nearly half a million posts, and many thousands of private messages, many of which include embedded content, and very little of that embedded content is served over https. The result is that browsers will throw warnings on most pages that there is a problem with the security / there is unsecure content / or even block that content by default. Then we get complaints that something is wrong with the site / security is broken / stuff isn't loading.

Making SSL really work on a forum site like this requires another layer to fetch external images/videos/audio and re-serve them to the site over https. It's not as simple as getting a free security certificate and making a few clicks in cPanel/WHM.

A more realistic option for now is to install a certificate and let phpBB handle which pages are served over https (the login pages). The problem here is that anybody using a browser option or browser add-on to force https connections will have the above mentioned problems and warnings anyway.
(Realcent Admin)

Return to “Burgers and Beers”