The Cryptotard

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Re: The Cryptotard

Postby natsb88 » Thu Mar 08, 2018

Brick's wrote:Bittrex trades enough of what i like in USD @.25%. Neo looks to be free to deposit or withdraw. I'd go with these guys in a second but they are only accepting new account requests from our corporate customers and select invitees.

The "$" markets you see on Bittrex are in USDT, which is Tether, a crypto that is supposed to be backed 1:1 by USD in held in bank accounts. This was an okay concept, but the Tether group has been creating hundreds of millions of new USDT and fired the firm they hired to audit their accounts, so....

Bittrex won't take your fiat. Although there is an article buried in their help page stating you can wire them USD for USDT with a $100,000 minimum. Don't do that... :lol:

Like most exchanges, you'll have to trade your USD for crypto elsewhere and then send the crypto to Bittrex to trade there. I would avoid Bittrex for NEO. Too many extended and suspicious wallet outages and they don't give you your GAS.

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Thu Mar 08, 2018

Brick's wrote:Already joined (Coinbase) however "something went wrong" when I tried to use my debt card as my source of funds as a choice. Everything entered correctly (checked twice, two times). Not ready to over my bank account info to them yet. I'm starting to really not like Coinbase.

So Coinbase tells me (via webpage) my bank will not allow such to happen with my Visa debt card to open an account. But, not in so many words. A few hours later, the auto-anti-theft phone call comes from my bank asking me to verify suspicious activity with my card to the tune of $1.00 U$D X two withdrawal attempts. So I go the bank to verify and they assure me the bank will not allow such to happen with my Visa debt card to open an account in London. Guess it's time to turn over my bank account over to Coinbase instead. Got to love the regulations. I asked the bank head teller/asst. manager if what I wanted to do with my checking account would work? She gave me the "good luck with that" look.

Once I get pic of the back of my drivers license digitized and sent to Coinbase (The front seemed to work OK but I have to wait 'til I get home from work to use the wife's tablet to make the pic of the back) I'll see if the bank account attempt will work. I imagine the next thing I'll have to verify is the number of pimples I have on my left butt cheek.

Home from work and when I use my checking account to set things up, Coinbase webpage tells me they already have that account on file. So I click on buy/sell and they want me to verify the amounts they already deposited into my account. If I knew that when I was at the bank this afternoon, I would have gotten the answer then. I don't do online/phone app banking, so its a phone call or in person which is my preferred method.

Interesting my bank won't let me set up an account with Coinbase using their Visa but, Coinbase can deposit into my checking account associated with my bank's Visa. Thereby starting the process of establishing an account with them before I agreed to give them access. Perhaps I should have read the fine print.
"You pompously call your selves Republicans and Democrats. There is no Republican Party. There is no Democratic Party. There are no Republicans or Democrats in this house. You are Lick-Spittlers and panderers, the creatures of the plutocracy".
- Jack London

"It is a government of corporations, by corporations, and for corporations."
- Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Thu Mar 08, 2018

Another way to acquire Bitcoin is sometimes members here are selling it. You send them PPFF and they send the BTC to your deposit address, say on Binance or an offline wallet. Dunno if anybody's doing it at current prices. If you think the price is an entry point and won't go much lower, Coinbase's fee for a bank transfer isn't a big obstacle. During the crash I got caught with too little fiat on Coinbase, so I ate the bank transfer fee to lock in the price (though I didn't receive the Bitcoin for a few days). Even in the current doldrums it's $3K higher than it was then, so the fee didn't hurt. But that's a bank transfer. Using plastic is a considerably higher rate and may scotch the deal if you're not buying very much.

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Thu Mar 08, 2018

Some (most?) credit card companies reclassified crypto purchases as "cash advances" a couple months ago so they can charge additional fees on the buyer's end. So in addition to the Coinbase fee for using plastic, you may get hit with extra cash advance fees by your credit card provider. The credit limit for cash advances is often lower than the overall credit limit on the card.

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Fri Mar 09, 2018

Not to worry on the CC fees for me. My Visa's are debt card directly linked to my checking accounts. No credit, no cash advances, no debt to pay off every month, no use for cash advance, no buy Crypto. I even declined the low balance insurance they offer on the account or whatever slick marketing name they give it. I stopped the slavery machine years ago. Most likely the above reasons are why I can't use them to establish a Coinbase account.

My wife still has two cards: LL Bean for free return get credit on their "damaged" (guaranteed for life) merch we pick up at garage sales and thrift shops; and Amazon I let her have because she is so incredibly thrifty.

Again, always appreciate the sage educational and entertaining advice. Time to figure out what my Binance "deposit address" is. Offline wallet is another can-of-worms to be worked out after I get enough Crypto.
"You pompously call your selves Republicans and Democrats. There is no Republican Party. There is no Democratic Party. There are no Republicans or Democrats in this house. You are Lick-Spittlers and panderers, the creatures of the plutocracy".
- Jack London

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Fri Mar 09, 2018

Brick's wrote:My wife still has two cards: LL Bean for free return get credit on their "damaged" (guaranteed for life) merch we pick up at garage sales and thrift shops

You might want to cancel the LL Bean card:

Under the new policy, consumers will have a year to make returns, and will be required to provide proof of purchase, L. L. Bean said in a Facebook post on Friday.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/busi ... olicy.html

They cited abuse as the reason for the change. Might want to look in the mirror on this one.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Fri Mar 09, 2018

Brick's wrote:Not to worry on the CC fees for me. My Visa's are debt card directly linked to my checking accounts.

My card is like that. Coinbase still treats it as if it were a credit card. They don't know (or care) that it's funded by a balance. They just know it's a Visa card.

Brick's
Supporter

jcz1: I am impressed by how plugged in you are to the information highway.

As far as the mirror goes well, I'd love to have the morals and values core my White Hatted son does as he humbles me. Perhaps I was over protective but I definitely filtered, guided, and facilitated his life experience. My life experience has molded me otherwise. Perhaps to his benefit. I'm no saint and a self-professed opportunist.

To say I work systems and cause change I will not deny. It possibly may be hard wired in a strain of my genepool that expresses itself approximately every 100 years. Interesting will be which one of the descendants gets the gene expressed after me.

Thanks for putting the mirror up for this introspective look. Sincerely,
- Jack London

Brick's
Supporter

Called the bank and NO deposits have been made. Called Coinbase and they said it may take a couple of days. So why did I get the call from the auto-anti-theft security dept. of my bank $1.00 U$D X 2? I'm guessing the attempts were make but did not happen? Why I'm a Neo-Luddite. I'm not doing this because it is making my life simpler, easier and more efficient. I'm doing it out of the necessity of the learning curve associated with Cryptocurrencies. Which along with blockchain, I believe is here to stay.

So here is the good part if one can be claimed (and why I'm also a technotard). I can now take very shatty vey low pixel pictures with my stupid phone. And even send them to an e-mail addy and download. Most likely even via text or so it appears I am able but have not tried. Yeaaaa (said as a "Tom Slick" cheer). Miracles happen. Still have to send the backside of my drivers license.

Putting myself through this process MAY not be a bad thing. Stress "MAY".
- Jack London

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Sat Mar 10, 2018

One of the primary reasons I will like OMG: OmiseGo users will only be required to keep one wallet for all their cryptocurrencies and fiat money transactions.

Only every having to figure out how to work one wallet to do everything I would care to do with ALL Cryptos and fiat goes a very long with the Cryptotard!

GO OMG!
- Jack London

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Mon Mar 12, 2018

Coinbase sent the small deposits and I have been able to send U$D fiat to my U$D wallet with them. It arrives on or about 3/17. Guess they can take my $$ without the digitized backside of my drivers license on file. Maybe they will let me actually purchase Crypto of my choice when I want to..
- Jack London

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Mon Mar 12, 2018

Brick's wrote:Coinbase sent the small deposits and I have been able to send U$D fiat to my U$D wallet with them. It arrives on or about 3/17. Guess they can take my $$ without the digitized backside of my drivers license on file. Maybe they will let me actually purchase Crypto of my choice when I want to..

(I think you already know this part but it's worth posting again in this thread for reference)

So now the trick is to wait for the money to arrive in your USD wallet, transfer it to your GDAX wallet (instant and free), place a LIMIT (not market) order on GDAX so there are no order fees, and then withdraw it from GDAX to the exchange since GDAX is currently eating the network fees. Jumping through these hoops allows you to trade USD for BTC with no fees and get it to an exchange with no fees. The downsides being the 7-10 days it can take for the USD to land in your USD wallet, and that Coinbase files a 1099-K if you accumulate enough activity to meet the reporting threshold.

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Mon Mar 12, 2018

Well worth reposting, and not just for reference. Truly, I can't tell you all how much I appreciate the hand holding and walk through. The frustration factor in dealing with Crypto isn't as bad as some days on the highway or at work . . . so far. Not saying it's been easy though!

My only question is what does the average Joe (who doesn't have the support I've got) do as he fumbles his way through? By losing a shat ton of money along the way?

Gratefully,
- Jack London

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Mon Mar 12, 2018

Brick's wrote:My only question is what does the average Joe (who doesn't have the support I've got) do as he fumbles his way through? By losing a shat ton of money along the way?

The average Joe? I'd guess that he comes in after seeing something on mainstream media about how Bitcoin is at record highs, buys at the top, sells when it drops, and tells his friends what a ripoff it is. If he finds out months later that it soared 5X what he paid, 10x what he sold it for, he's more convinced than ever that he was hosed. He either stays away or makes a hobby of comparing Bitcoin to tulips and posting every negative thing about crypto that he can find. OK, maybe that last part isn't so average. :lol:

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Tue Mar 13, 2018

Long John wrote:
Brick's wrote:My only question is what does the average Joe (who doesn't have the support I've got) do as he fumbles his way through? By losing a shat ton of money along the way?

The average Joe? I'd guess that he comes in after seeing something on mainstream media about how Bitcoin is at record highs, buys at the top, sells when it drops, and tells his friends what a ripoff it is. If he finds out months later that it soared 5X what he paid, 10x what he sold it for, he's more convinced than ever that he was hosed. He either stays away or makes a hobby of comparing Bitcoin to tulips and posting every negative thing about crypto that he can find. OK, maybe that last part isn't so average. :lol:

Ok, that was funny. My guess is they google search bitcoin and start reading threads on reddit or bitcointalk, or worst case scenario bitcoin.com (Bcash's website). They make a lot of mistakes.... like thinking Bcash is the same as bitcoin, and hopefully they don't lose too much money before learning the ropes.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Tue Mar 13, 2018

SilverDoge wrote:Ok, that was funny.

As intended. But there's an element of truth to it, and a moral: Understand what you're getting into; this is a very volatile, unpredictable, and largely unregulated market. Whales will eat unsuspecting little fish who panic-sell all day long. Don't be unsuspecting and don't panic. Start with a small amount you wouldn't mind losing, and consider it tuition. Better yet, do some mock-trading (or holding) and see how you do. Losing your mock-shirt hurts only your pride.

Operadad

Postby Operadad » Tue Mar 13, 2018

This Is probably not the place to mention this - so forgive me if I am entering it in the wrong slot...

DEBitum has found a network to be bought and sold on..... Kucoin....
if members are interested..

operadad.

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Thu Mar 15, 2018

in doing my DYODD I've noticed a flight to safety (if one can call it that) in the Cryptomarket. Of the dozen some odd I follow I find: BTC; XRP; XMR; OMG; and BNB* higher at this time than on the ~2/6/18 correction.

*BNB has an aberration in that it's recent low occurred on 3/9 (and not the last 24 hours) and had a pump up between then and now, so using it's 3/9 number.
- Jack London

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Mon Mar 26, 2018

Ok, Coinbase got my money. Transferred my $$ from Coinbase to GDAX bought BTC as it was falling this morning and initiated the transfer of the bitcoin back to Coinbase. Now, how do I transfer it over to Binance so I can get ahold of other Crypto? Good chance I also need to know where to find my Binance account #. Looked all over to no avail.

Mental mantra note* - "This is a life learning experience, not a pain in the arse." Repeat 'til BP comes down.
- Jack London

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Mon Mar 26, 2018

Brick's wrote:Ok, Coinbase got my money. Transferred my $$ from Coinbase to GDAX bought BTC as it was falling this morning and initiated the transfer of the bitcoin back to Coinbase. Now, how do I transfer it over to Binance so I can get ahold of other Crypto? Good chance I also need to know where to find my Binance account #. Looked all over to no avail.

Mental mantra note* - "This is a life learning experience, not a pain in the arse." Repeat 'til BP comes down.

You want to transfer your bitcoin to Binance directly from GDAX (not from Coinbase), so send it back to GDAX first.

Then use these steps:
It currently costs nothing to send BTC from GDAX (not Coinbase) to any external address. If you want to acquire BTC, ETH or LTC on GDAX/Coinbase and then transfer to another exchange (like Binance) to trade for alts:
1) In your Binance account, go to Funds and then the Deposit/Withdraw page where there is a list of currencies.
2) Scroll down to Bitcoin. Across the column to the right are deposit and withdraw buttons. Click on deposit and it will generate a Bitcoin alphanumeric address for you to send to.
3) Copy that address, go to GDAX and in the BTC/USD trading window click on Withdraw, choose BTC Address as the destination.
4) Then you'll get a box where you can paste in the address you copied from Binance and specify how much BTC. Make sure all is correct and click the approval button. There is currently no fee for this transfer.
5) You should see a Success window. Be aware that lately it can take up to a few hours for BTC to arrive from Coinbase/GDAX. [hat tip: Long John}

http://bullionstacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=28780#p549746 - from the bitcoin beginner's guide.

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”