YouTube

silverpv
Gold Supporter

YouTube

Postby silverpv » Mon Sep 19, 2016

Hello Fellow BullionStackers.

tl; dr: Hi, I run a YouTube channel and built a mobile marketplace app based on the workflows of BullionStacker and Reddit. It also has an inventory manager to manage your stuff. AMA here.

There's been a few questions and I was hoping to address any and all questions here. The folks at BullionStackers has graciously allowed me to park a thread here. I've normally kept myself under wraps, but decided to come out a bit.

Some of you may or may not have heard about the channel ikeo net1 on YouTube. This is a channel on YouTube that I operate to help document my journey navigating through precious metals hobby. The channel has grown a bit and I decided to make commemorative cube out of my 1st year stacking and the launch of a project i've been working on.

Originally, I was working on a mobile app based on sharing things, like tools, books, camping stuff, etc. After getting into the PM world and dabbling in Reddit, ebay, and BullionStacker I decided to try to build and sales platform into the mobile app that would answer a lot of peoples complaints about the current way of doing things on eBay. The app is based on trust and you MUST authorize the connection or open it willingly. Over time people build a network of colleagues and other people we trust in time so I've created a mobile marketplace for you and your friends. It is NOT open to the public.

My app is also a personal inventory manager. This allows you to inventory things like tools and other belongings to keep them in a registry. Once in the app you can give it away, share it, or sell it. As a friend, you are able to borrow, buy, or ask for things from your friends. The app is not limited to precious metals. The purposed was to help people save money. We're all here because we think the economy is not as stable as the media makes it out to be. Rather than wait for it to happen, I decided to build a tool where people can help each other get more use out of 'stuff' sitting around. The sharing feature has a built in item tracker so you will always know who has what and for how long and can even ask for it back. The flow to buy is similar to BS/Reddit. The only difference is the rake is flat fee of 5% and uses paypal direct payment. To start the fee will be reduced to 3%, just to keep the lights on. The goal is a mobile based market that doesn't have the limitations ebay has, this is where I would need your help to build a better commerce platform. I'm just starting so be gentle.

I will be releasing the app shortly after I work out a few bugs and will be offering some semi-custom YPS cubes 100g and 2 oz with my logo on them. I took the hands on approach so there are some errors mixed in.

I'll be posting updates here or feel free to shoot a question or comment if you have any in this thread. :wave:
Last edited by silverpv on Tue Jul 04, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

RyanEOD
Platinum Site Tech

Re: ikeo net1 YouTube & Mobile app

Postby RyanEOD » Mon Sep 19, 2016

Ok, I'll bite, why should I use this? Is the idea for a broader range of customers? What payment model is it using? I'm assuming Paypal Good and Services, so I'm paying 2.9% to Paypal and the 5% to you as the app owner? Where is all the transaction information stored? Security? What checks and balances are there to keep scammers out? Are you going to guarantee the purchases, so if someone is scammed will you make them whole? Is there a feedback based system? Just trying to flesh out why I would use this app over just coming to BS to sell/buy something.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Something like BS, is very product specific and not meant to be replaced but supplemented for other things. It takes time to build up trust and transactions in other places.

Payment systems - Paypal direct P2P, G+S. With that 2.9% you get Seller & Buyer Protection. Paypal stores all the transactions via a mobile payment. I store the transaction ID and reference #. So seller sets his paypal ID in settings and payments minus the fee go directly to the seller. Buyer pays the fee to Seller and 'processing' fee separately. This might be a problem, but I went this route instead of invoicing the Seller at the end of the month.

Authentication Accounts are handled and tied to FB login or Google+ account to prevent multiple ID's. I only store tokens from FB/Google for your phone. Each token is unique to your device.

Currently, no feedback system is in place but if a user is 'reported' by multiple 'friends' then they will be locked out. Eventually we'll add a rating system, but for now there's a history of 'completed' transactions. We are relying on previous trust.

Checks and Balances is you are responsible for who you add to see what you have available. Everything these days is public, so I decided to go the opposite route and make it social network based private network. To focus on the 'repeat' buyer, with little friction of new buyers. So there is already an existing level of trust. One problem because of its private nature, is that you don't have a large audience its more of a place for people you've already done business with and for easy transactions.

As to why you might use this. As mentioned, you would not need to buy certain things new. The more people in your network who post things up like friends and family, the more you can potentially share, reduce, and reuse with one another. I'll admit its not the best avenue for max profit. It's meant to help friends and family and provide a 'repeat' discount. You can list stuff for free and only get charged when you make a sale.

One use is I use my ikeo net1 account on Google to open up a mobile store for these cubes, you can have items in your private collection and put them for sale when you want with a separate personal FB acct or you could link it if you are cool with that. Think Amazon without the high fee for both used and new items. If you can find what you are looking for (used, shared, or free) in search through friends, we'll show a link where to buy new (ad) to something like amazon.

This is not limited to PM's and is meant as a general purpose tool. If you think consumption is a problem and you think people buy too much stuff they don't need but still have, then you know why this was built.

Eventually I'll be adding a more complicated group system so particular groups can only see certain albums. Feedback system could be a new feature, but the next one up is a Wanted listing. As I get feedback from users, I can decide what features to prioritize.

My site is here. https://ikeo.com
Last edited by silverpv on Mon Sep 19, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

RyanEOD
Platinum Site Tech

Postby RyanEOD » Mon Sep 19, 2016

How are "friends" added? Do they have to be friends on my social media site, or can I just add them directly through the app?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

silverpv
Gold Supporter

RyanEOD wrote:How are "friends" added? Do they have to be friends on my social media site, or can I just add them directly through the app?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

Both. Automatically pull from your social logins. Or if you are not friends on social media, then you can add by name if they are in the system. However, they are required to have a fb/google login once again to ensure you know who you are dealing with.

You're welcome. I appreciate the questions!

Mr. Ed
Group Buy Moderator

Postby Mr. Ed » Mon Sep 19, 2016

I am sure this is a good idea for some but, I think I am fine without it. Thank you for the offer.

:turtle:
Vision without execution is hallucination

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Mon Sep 19, 2016

As a seller, am I paying 3% (eventually 5%) AND 2.9%?
Democracy Dies in Darkness

joefro
Site Tech

Postby joefro » Mon Sep 19, 2016

You stated a couple times that since there is no feedback system, the app requires a level of trust to already be in place. That would mean that you have likely already had transactions with that person outside of the app. If that is the case, then why not just continue transactions outside of the app instead of using the app and paying the fees? If I have already had transactions with a person and trust them outside of the app, what is the incentive to add up to 8% in fees on a transaction that we could just work out on our own through e-mail or FB? You may even run into issues where users are using your app for the inventory databases, and then take the actual transaction "offline" to avoid your fees.

Kutzy
Turtle Supporter

Postby Kutzy » Mon Sep 19, 2016

jcz1 wrote:As a seller, am I paying 3% (eventually 5%) AND 2.9%?

Was gonna ask the same thing
I accept payment through Dwolla, PPG, check or money order. Accommodation available for international orders as well.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Mr. Ed wrote:I am sure this is a good idea for some but, I think I am fine without it. Thank you for the offer.

:turtle:

No worries, I will admit with this crowd who are by nature very private it is difficult. For those private types, you can input your goods for record keeping. There is a searchable private database. If you live in disaster prone areas, this helps you itemize your belongings. Having something like this available at the time of insurance claims cuts the process by 50% since its all readily available and accessible.

This is an uphill battle, I understand that. I believe sharing(not renting) will be cool again. Especially if the market goes south. When times are good everyone can buy what they want. These days adult aged millenials can't afford to own as much as they used to.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

joefro wrote:You stated a couple times that since there is no feedback system, the app requires a level of trust to already be in place. That would mean that you have likely already had transactions with that person outside of the app. If that is the case, then why not just continue transactions outside of the app instead of using the app and paying the fees? If I have already had transactions with a person and trust them outside of the app, what is the incentive to add up to 8% in fees on a transaction that we could just work out on our own through e-mail or FB? You may even run into issues where users are using your app for the inventory databases, and then take the actual transaction "offline" to avoid your fees.

The listing is fine. I'm sure people will do this just like in eBay. As a business, I can only hope the majority of people will use it for what it is built for. The fee helps to add additional features. The majority of people will like the convenience to pay right away and mark it as completed. The feedback is more intuitive like you see with the 'completed' transactions. When you do side transactions, it doesn't 'count'. Also no feedback currently, but if people want it, I'll build it in.

The main reason folks would use the system is the listings. I provide sharing, giving, and private database free. Only when you sell do I charge. Ebay and 90% of the competitors charge 10%+, I'm at half the rake at 5%. The 2.9% is typical for any cc processor. If you would like to continue using ppff, that's fine. As long as I get activity, I'm okay with that, as in people entering the system and searching. I will also have ads to offset those types of deals.

jcz1 wrote:As a seller, am I paying 3% (eventually 5%) AND 2.9%?

Yes, but later I will be implementing a max fee per transaction. eBay gets you close for bullion (category), but mine is a flat fee across the board. Think of it as Gov't Taxes IRS vs flat fee w. eventual cap. The 2.9% fee I can't do anything about. It's the reality of small business buyer/seller protection. I have to have it for your saftey and mine. Paypal is PCI compliant, secure bank storage, etc. All of which is a value added service. Also note, with something like this, it would supplement a website and with 30-50% of users moving to mobile, it helps to have a mobile store, without using the web browser on phone where many people drop off. I'll eventually find the balance of continued development and least painful.

BTW. I appreciate all the challenging questions. :thumbup: :wave:

Engineer
Pirate Jester

Postby Engineer » Mon Sep 19, 2016

Authentication Accounts are handled and tied to FB login or Google+ account to prevent multiple ID's. I only store tokens from FB/Google for your phone. Each token is unique to your device.

Nope...
The year 2017: Where words and ideas are considered too hateful to be said,
while riots and assault are considered too peaceful to be prosecuted.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Engineer wrote:

Nope...

Allow me to rephrase. When you login you receive a token that can be refreshed. When you login from another device, you get a different access token.

We don't store any passwords. All connections/transactions are done via secure connection over https protocol.

To prevent multiple id's, a user can create multiple id's but have no friends, unless you re-add them. or you manually turn on add friends automatically.
Last edited by silverpv on Mon Sep 19, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Engineer
Pirate Jester

Postby Engineer » Mon Sep 19, 2016

silverpv wrote:
Engineer wrote:

Nope...

Allow me to rephrase. When you login you receive a token that can be refreshed. When you login from another device, you get a different access token.

To prevent multiple id's, a user can create multiple id's but have no friends, unless you re-add them. or you turn on add friends automatically.

The FB or G+ login is what I was 'nope'ing.
The year 2017: Where words and ideas are considered too hateful to be said,
while riots and assault are considered too peaceful to be prosecuted.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Engineer wrote:
silverpv wrote:
Engineer wrote:

Nope...

To prevent multiple id's, a user can create multiple id's but have no friends, unless you re-add them. or you turn on add friends automatically.

The FB or G+ login is what I was 'nope'ing.

I see. I had to limit it to well known authentication systems. There's a fine line between privacy and accountability.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Wed Sep 21, 2016

Finished stamping. It's a bit of fun. Hard to get it consistent, but that makes every piece unique. Its a fun process and I give much respect to YPS for the quality and consistency.

Now, just waiting to fix the blockers in the app and list them.

Here's a preview of what it looks like as a Buyer

Image Image Image
Last edited by silverpv on Wed Sep 21, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Wed Sep 21, 2016

Question to folks:

If you could build a market place, What would be the perfect marketplace for you?

Is a feedback system with thumbs up and thumbs down important? Is the # of completed transactions as good an indicator?

What type of fee structure sounds reasonable for a marketplace?
I.E. Donation based like B.S?
Ad based
Monthly charge
Per sale or per listing?

The current fee structure is based on actual sales only. You don't pay unless you sell.

What are the most important things/features for you to buy and sell?

There is a private area for personal collection or to preload inventory which is also has a searchable database.

Here's a look at what it looks like for your mobile store profile and itemized listings as a Seller:

Image Image

And the product add/edit page

Image Image

silverpv
Gold Supporter

47 Peace Dollars For Sale

Postby silverpv » Wed Sep 28, 2016

:offer: :forsale:

G-VF+ condition with readable dates. Volume discount available. Trades for gold available

47 x Peace Dollars ~~$21~~ $20 / ea.

Payment via GW or PPFF. Fast and secure shipping via USPS. Shipping $3 or $6 depending on weight extras on you.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Wed Sep 28, 2016

Those are some darn nice looking cubes Mister.

My personal feeling is that FB is the ghetto of the internet, so I don't use it. I keep Google on as short a leash as I can.

Therefore, regarding id's and authentication.....why not use something like Authy or even Google's authenticator? These seem to work well on the crypto exchanges.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Wed Sep 28, 2016

tomfernandez wrote:Those are some darn nice looking cubes Mister.

My personal feeling is that FB is the ghetto of the internet, so I don't use it. I keep Google on as short a leash as I can.

Therefore, regarding id's and authentication.....why not use something like Authy or even Google's authenticator? These seem to work well on the crypto exchanges.

FB has a billion people plus a tight social network/graph. It's plug and play since I can guarantee you and your friends are already connected and don't have more than relationship. IE. If you scam your friend and you get banned, no new fake accounts. You've f***ed your reputation.

Google also 500 million+ users. So you can use either/or login. The only thing with google, is people have fake accounts but a very lax group of circles. It's not as tight as FB. The Google circles concept isn't as solid. That said, I eventually intend on using your 'circles' and 'groups' as permissions data so that you can separate people and different items they would see.

Family vs Tight friends vs Activity Friends vs. dad group for example. I just used the two largest because they are usually tied to the actual person. The only other method I will likely use is your mobile number. When you borrow or give or show things you have people should be accountable. I think that's what we're missing right now, accountability. There's too much anonymous.

Just keeping it limited while I work out the bugs and get some feedback.

It's actually available on the Apple Itunes store and Google Play store as of today! :wave:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ikeo/id ... ?ls=1&mt=8

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... m.ikeo.app

If you download, add ikeo net1 as a friend and you can buy a cube, there's only 50. :)

I'm also giving one away all you have to do is download add ikeo net1 as a friend and request the Free 2000 subscriber giveaway 2oz cube to be entered. I will do a YouTube session with a live drawing.

This is the first announcement of it too as of 9/28/16 7:50PM PST

Return to “Friends of BullionStacker”