Introducing FakeBullion.com

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Re: Introducing FakeBullion.com

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jan 24, 2017

It seems a few of you would have chosen the fake bar over the real one. Indeed the fakes are actually sometimes a bit "prettier" than the real thing.

This particular fake has been floating around for nearly a year. I wonder how many have been sold to unsuspecting buyers on Craigslist and eBay and at pawn shops and even coin dealers? And how many of those have unknowingly been resold by innocent victims? And how many are stashed away in safes and will hit the market again in 1 year or 10 years or 50 years?

It's a problem, and it's only going to get worse as more fakes come into the country and accumulate.

I just got some interesting specs on "in stock" gold-plated tungsten fakes directly from a Chinese seller, as well as a screenshot of an email from somebody in the US to the counterfeiters discussing plating thicknesses. I'll be posting those shortly in the FakeBullion.com members only forum and eventually I'll write a public piece up about them.

pre24.jpg
pre24.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 1253 times

The full comparison is posted in the Fake Bullion Database. Available now for supporting members, available in 60 days for the general public. I will be removing the bars from the cards to do a comparison of the bars themselves next.

https://www.fakebullion.com/index.php/c ... card-gen-3

DRP270
Site Admin

Postby DRP270 » Tue Jan 24, 2017

8-)
ImageImageImage

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Tue Jan 24, 2017

natsb88 wrote:I just got some interesting specs on "in stock" gold-plated tungsten fakes directly from a Chinese seller, as well as a screenshot of an email from somebody in the US to the counterfeiters discussing plating thicknesses. I'll be posting those shortly in the FakeBullion.com members only forum and eventually I'll write a public piece up about them.

This stuff is up in the FakeBullion.com Forum now, along with a bunch of pictures of gold-plated tungsten eagles that appear to be dead-on in size and weight. Go check it out if you're a member.

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Tue Jan 24, 2017

Good thing I buy mostly poured silver. I suck at this.
*** LOOKING FOR YPS #18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Wed Jan 25, 2017

Rik Bitter wrote:Good thing I buy mostly poured silver. I suck at this.

But you seemed so confident in your first response! I tend to shy away from carded gold for this reason, unless the deal is too good, because the fakes are a bit tougher to tell when comparing sizes, weights, dimensions, etc versus coins. Well, that and I have one of those Fisch devices as well as the PMV - which helps with coins, not carded bars.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

Anyway, thanks for the quiz Nate.

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Fri Apr 07, 2017

I just added the Pamp Veriscan 1 oz gold bar to the database here. It's another scary good counterfeit. I am in the process of getting set up with Pamp's Veriscan system. I have the scanner and positioning frame and a 2d barcode scanner all set up, just having some issues downloading the software (and the time difference causes a bit of a delay). I will eventually put it to the test and make a demo video.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Fri Apr 07, 2017

I only buy assay-card gold from a major dealer who got it from the manufacturer, or who mints their own, such as Scottsdale. Even then, I test it with the PMV before tucking it away in the SDB or selling it. I never want to have any doubts about gold.

In Nate's comparison earlier, I got completely suckered by Perth's sloppy job of carding. I would not buy that because it seemed so obvious. Too obvious, in this case.

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Sun Apr 16, 2017

Fake gold scam: high schooler conned victims out of nearly $60,000

A relatively easy internet purchase of fake gold bars supplied a local high school teen with the means to con a handful of adults in Oregon and Washington through a scheme that brought him about $60,000 in cash and assets.

Read more on FakeBullion.com

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Sat Jul 29, 2017

This happened this morning to a dealer I know from a Facebook group :shock:

Large Collection of Fake Silver Brought to Coin Dealer in Georgia

MARIETTA, GA - Approximately 250 pieces of counterfeit silver walked through the door of the Gold & Coin Exchange in Marietta, Georgia Saturday morning. A long-time store customer, who was considering purchasing a collection from a third party, became suspicious of the items and brought them to the store for testing.

Read more on FakeBullion.com

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Tue Aug 08, 2017

Felony charge for selling counterfeit coins in Blair County

FREEDOM TOWNSHIP, PA - A Huntingdon County man is facing a felony forgery charge after being accused of selling rare counterfeit coins in Blair County.

Freedom Township police said Johnathan R. Peck, 34, of Petersburg, was selling counterfeit pennies from 1909 and 1955 and $50 gold coins.

Read more on FakeBullion.com.

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Thu Aug 10, 2017

Good deal on gold proves fake, Portland man cited for theft by deception

BEAVERTON, Ore. - Police are warning the public of an online sale that proves not all that glitters is gold.

The incident started when a man arranged to buy three ounces of Swiss gold bullion through the online app called Letgo. He met the seller, who called himself Joshua Allen, at the Home Depot on NW Science Parkway.

Click to read more and watch the video.

Super Stacker PCB
Gold Supporter

Postby Super Stacker PCB » Thu Aug 10, 2017

The market price for gold is more than $1,200 per ounce, and the listing online advertised three ounces for $1,800.

That price should of been a huge red flag.
Stackin' for the fun of Stackin' 1 oz at a time

ImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Thu Aug 10, 2017

The look of that seller is another
ImageImageImage

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Wed Sep 06, 2017

Oklahoma man arrested for selling fake gold bars

OMAHA, NE - The subject pictured above was arrested in Omaha, NE for selling fake Perth Mint gold bars. He also has an outstanding warrant out of Bellevue, NE for selling over $8,000 in fake gold bars.

The subject has been identified as Bradley M. Barney of Moore, OK. Barney uses an Oklahoma issue ID card for identification when selling the fake bars.

Anyone who has come into contact with this individual contact:

Doug Davis
Numismatic Crime Information Center

https://www.fakebullion.com/index.php/n ... -gold-bars

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Sat Sep 16, 2017

Person of Interest Sought in Counterfeit Gold Case

OKLAHOMA - The Numismatic Crime Information Center is currently working with several law enforcement agencies to link several suspects from Oklahoma selling counterfeit/fake coins around the country.

Click to Read More

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Mon Oct 30, 2017

Fake Royal Canadian MInt gold bar ??

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/fa ... -1.4368801
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Mon Oct 30, 2017

The mystery began on Oct. 18, when Tang purchased what he thought was a 99.99 per cent pure gold wafer from an RBC branch just across the road from his Glebe-area boutique, Joy Creations.

:shock:
ImageImageImage
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

agnostic
BS Supporter

Postby agnostic » Mon Oct 30, 2017

Last November, 35-year-old Leston Lawrence was found guilty of smuggling $190,000 worth of gold pucks, each the size of a small muffin, in his rectum over several months. :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Back in '82 I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile" --Uncle Rico

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Mon Oct 30, 2017

Sounds like somebody sold a fake back to the bank, or a Mint employee, armored car / courier employee, or bank employee swapped a fake for a genuine bar somewhere along the way.

Counterfeit Royal Canadian Mint Gold Bar Purchased at Royal Bank of Canada

OTTAWA, CANADA - The Royal Canadian Mint is investigating how a sealed, "pure gold" wafer with proper mint stampings may in fact be a fake.

The one-ounce gold piece, which was supposed to be 99.99 per cent pure, was purchased by an Ottawa jeweller on Oct. 18 at a Royal Bank of Canada branch. Yet tests of the bar show it may contain no gold at all.

Click to read more at FakeBullion.com

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Sat Nov 04, 2017

Two new items added to the database this weekend.

Return to “Friends of BullionStacker”