YPS News & Happenings

CCC2010
Turtle Supporter

Re: YPS News & Happenings

Postby CCC2010 » Fri Apr 20, 2018

Silver Addict wrote:Randy has YPS over a barrel

Does Randy have a Gold Barrel too? :shh: :P :D
Image WTB:6 oz YPS Golf Ball. Pls.PM me.

oldmansilverBS
Silver Supporter

Postby oldmansilverBS » Fri Apr 20, 2018

Shortstack McAygee wrote:
Silver Addict wrote:As of 1/2/15, 3d bars will not be limited to 12 months of production.

But I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on pre-planned mintage numbers (including "unlimited"), versus "time-limit" production runs (as quoted above, for example).

And if you prefer limited-time pieces: All else being equal, would you be more willing to buy those, perhaps even paying an otherwise slightly-higher premium, unsure at the time of the final mintage, while knowing that they won't be available after a specified time (unless you buy in the secondary market)?

The floor is yours! :duck:

I agree there always needs to be a variety available of all types. An issue that starts out unlimited can be changed depending on how it sells. With the bars that simply do not sell I would recommend an announcement on BS or a change on the YPS web site that simply states that this bar will no longer be available 30 days after the announcement. That way the people who want them will have 30 days to come up with the purchase price and the people who already bought them will know the bar will cease production in 30 days. By 30 days I mean a specific date approximately 30 days out.

I really like the dated annual bars by YPS and Silver Slacker. I hope they go on for a long time. The holiday bars that are available until a holiday date are a great idea. What happened to the winter bars? The snowflake is one of the best YPS bars in my opinion.

Personally I'll by any bar if I like it. I will generally buy more than one if I think there will be a collector following once the production ends. I prefer time limit issues, if I like the bar, to pre-planned mintage numbers unless the pre-planned mintages are small. Unfortunately it is really hard to estimate the demand when you do pre-planned "limited" issues and the mintage ends up being too high. The MK Barz/Silver Slacker/YPS 2oz triangle is a prime example.

You only have to look at all the other bar makers who copy what YPS is doing to see that YPS has been creating great bars. If the variety keeps up and the way they are sold varies there will be something for everyone.

Lastly I have a great idea for a bar! Don't tell the other manufacturers. I'm pretty sure no one has thought of this yet: How about a Human Skull !!! :lol:

Shortstack McAygee
Silver Supporter

Postby Shortstack McAygee » Fri Apr 20, 2018

oldmansilverBS wrote:I agree there always needs to be a variety available of all types...

Without a doubt, there should always be an attempt to maintain a good balance, for all sorts of reasons. And not only for the mintage mix, but also a healthy balance both for customers (stackers, collectors, flippers) & for YPS as a business. I'm sure it's not always easy. And on top of that, people buy/don't buy for all kinds of reasons, oftentimes having nothing to do with the piece itself, or spot price, or whatever. So, one may be left wondering where they could have done something different, and if it even would have made a difference.

Honestly, I could write pages & pages on this subject, but I'll spare y'all the pain. :mrgreen:

Though I will say that it can be a bit frustrating sometimes. For example, if somebody wants to sell (for whatever reason) a bar that they bought 2,3, 5 years ago... And see that it's still in production? In most cases, they now need to under-cut YPS on pricing if they want any chance of moving this thing. And what does that do? "Steals" a new sale from YPS -- *and* lowers the premium, perhaps setting the bar a bit more. Might be good for the buyer, but definitely not good for the seller, other owners, nor YPS. That seller is going to take note, and maybe they'll think twice before making their next YPS purchase -- especially if they have to take a small loss, or just merely break even (unless spot price had risen enough during the time of ownership). And believe me, others will take notice of this, too. Definitely can become kind of a vicious cycle.

However, had the bar been retired for a little while, the seller may have had a bit of leverage. Even if spot price had fallen during the time of ownership, they may still be able to grab a bit of a profit. And as with the same scenario above, the seller is going to take note, as will others. "Hey, you can actually make a few bucks on YPS stuff!" And so, the cycle of positive reinforcement maintains & strengthens.

Anyway, I understand that YPS needs to put food on their employees' tables, and to keep the business going for the long haul. And I do try to put myself in their shoes & look at things from their perspective, as well. So, what I'm about to say may sound a bit odd at first, and some may not agree with me, but that's fine.

If a piece isn't selling well? Hey, sure, why not, retire it, put it out of its misery, LOL. And if a long-running piece *is* selling well, but has been in production for years now? Retire it, too. Wait... Retire it? And leave fiat on the table?? But it's been selling so well! Are you insane?? :o

Yep. Retire it.

Let me explain: There's a philosophy in professional comedy, supposedly some advice given by George Carlin to another now-successful stand-up comedian. The premise is, after one year, every year, scrap all your old material, and come up with entirely brand-new stuff. A bit scary & unsettling, sure. But if you don't, then your act eventually becomes old & stale -- and nobody really wants to come see you anymore, and will look elsewhere for their laughs. This way, it's something new & fresh, and forces you to create & innovate & improve. And if it's any good, people will want to come back for more, over & over again. The "funny" thing is, this actually works!

Personally, I believe something similar holds true for the poured Ag market. Now, I'm not saying that every January 1st, YPS (or any other smith) wipes the entire slate clean, and starts anew. But if they were to incorporate that philosophy a bit more into the mix? I think it would be a win-win for both YPS and their past, present & future customers. :thumbup:

Okay, enough rambling for one post. And honestly, it's not any kind of dig against YPS. But just some thoughts from one stacker/collector/flipper/customer -- and some of the real-life trials & tribulations of being one. :)

agnostic
BS Supporter

Postby agnostic » Fri Apr 20, 2018

Excellent points Mr. McAygee,
TY for taking the time to post them.
"Back in '82 I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile" --Uncle Rico

vanquish
Gold Supporter

Postby vanquish » Fri Apr 20, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:Can you guess where Splunky and I are this week? :wave:

Loretto, KY?

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Fri Apr 20, 2018

vanquish wrote:
MaxGravy wrote:Can you guess where Splunky and I are this week? :wave:

Loretto, KY?

Bzzzt.

First 5oz Spike poured today.

74906DDA-944E-4D30-A0F3-54BE1D5464B7.jpeg
74906DDA-944E-4D30-A0F3-54BE1D5464B7.jpeg (187.84 KiB) Viewed 754 times
Image Image Image
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Fri Apr 20, 2018

Also today, I saw two one-of-kinds YPS prototypes, unintended mold breakers. Both *extremely* cool and both in the possession of the designer. He needs a pile of cash to buy a new motor for a Mustang. One is a 4oz wolf and the other is a 5oz human brain. Not just any brain, a real brain that was scanned and converted to a shape file. Very detailed, too detailed for the mold. They’ve been around for a few years and I didn’t know they existed until today. I’m kickin myself for not taking a pic, but Ill have some to post tomorrow. We may have convinced him to list these in the next KSAs. If he does I’ll be bidding. Yes I’ve been drinking. No I’m not kidding.
Image Image Image

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Fri Apr 20, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:Also today, I saw two one-of-kinds YPS prototypes, unintended mold breakers. Both *extremely* cool and both in the possession of the designer. He needs a pile of cash to buy a new motor for a Mustang. One is a 4oz wolf and the other is a 5oz human brain. Not just any brain, a real brain that was scanned and converted to a shape file. Very detailed, too detailed for the mold. They’ve been around for a few years and I didn’t know they existed until today. I’m kickin myself for not taking a pic, but Ill have some to post tomorrow. We may have convinced him to list these in the next KSAs. If he does I’ll be bidding. Yes I’ve been drinking. No I’m not kidding.

There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Sat Apr 21, 2018

I actually had a couple martinis with dinner last night, in the frozen north. :shifty: But now we're back home in the great (warm) state of Texas. :thumbup:

And I can confirm that these two bars will be in the next KSAs. 8-)

IMG_2549.jpg
IMG_2549.jpg (143.27 KiB) Viewed 640 times

IMG_2550.jpg
IMG_2550.jpg (103.87 KiB) Viewed 640 times

IMG_2551.jpg
IMG_2551.jpg (123.31 KiB) Viewed 640 times

IMG_2552.jpg
IMG_2552.jpg (114.16 KiB) Viewed 640 times
Image Image Image

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Sat Apr 21, 2018

:wanted:
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Sat Apr 21, 2018

I had a great time working at YPS. I learned a ton. We refined a few design processes and experimented with new ideas. I'm very excited about the future.

Roll out the barrel!

Image Image Image

zubie
Totem Pole Supporter

Postby zubie » Sun Apr 22, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:Also today, I saw two one-of-kinds YPS prototypes, unintended mold breakers. Both *extremely* cool and both in the possession of the designer. He needs a pile of cash to buy a new motor for a Mustang. One is a 4oz wolf and the other is a 5oz human brain. Not just any brain, a real brain that was scanned and converted to a shape file. Very detailed, too detailed for the mold. They’ve been around for a few years and I didn’t know they existed until today. I’m kickin myself for not taking a pic, but Ill have some to post tomorrow. We may have convinced him to list these in the next KSAs. If he does I’ll be bidding. Yes I’ve been drinking. No I’m not kidding.

What year is the Mustang that I will be funding next KSA :D :pop:
All the new YPS pieces look awesome!!! Nice job you two!!!
Wanted: Older YPS 1 oz Hex Yin/Yang & any YPS #21s.
Please PM me to $ell or trade. Thanks :turtle:

ImageImageImage

loosechange808

Postby loosechange808 » Sun Apr 22, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:I had a great time working at YPS. I learned a ton. We refined a few design processes and experimented with new ideas. I'm very excited about the future.

Roll out the barrel!

That is cool! :thumbup:

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Apr 22, 2018

zubie wrote:What year is the Mustang that I will be funding next KSA :D :pop:

'68 coupe

Those bars actually belong to David's nephew. He designed a lot of the YPS molds. He's also taught me a lot about the process. On last year's trip he got me up to speed. This year I learned even more. And he's building me a new dedicated work station. :ugeek:
Image Image Image

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Sun Apr 22, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:
zubie wrote:What year is the Mustang that I will be funding next KSA :D :pop:

And he's building me a new dedicated work station. :ugeek:

OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

Silver Addict
Dunce

Postby Silver Addict » Mon Apr 23, 2018

The 1/2oz cross got a makeover. The current version will be retired once the remaining 48 (40 on YPS, 8 on eBay) sell out. Once that happens, V2 will be released. V2 is wider/shorter.

I also put the V1 on sale to move them a little quicker.

Silver Addict
Dunce

Postby Silver Addict » Tue Apr 24, 2018

Silver Addict wrote:The 1/2oz cross got a makeover. The current version will be retired once the remaining 48 (40 on YPS, 8 on eBay) sell out. Once that happens, V2 will be released. V2 is wider/shorter.

I also put the V1 on sale to move them a little quicker.

All sold. 1/2oz oz V2 should be up later today. mintage on the V1 is 230

Neptunzz

Postby Neptunzz » Tue Apr 24, 2018

Glad I picked up some 1/2 oz silver crosses a while back, my girlfriend loves hers and I keep one next to me on an end table. Randy, any chance of a Starman in Tesla convertible silver bar? I love how SpaceX launched this awesome satellite!

vanquish
Gold Supporter

Postby vanquish » Wed Apr 25, 2018

More fun than a barrel o monkeys.

Lincoln logs or erector set next?

Return to “Friends of BullionStacker”