Scraps by Curb vs. Sears Holdings

Please put all polls here.
recyclersteve

Scraps by Curb vs. Sears Holdings

Postby recyclersteve » Mon Sep 24, 2018

This may sound rather strange, but it is a serious question to ponder. Which is worth more:

1) The sum of all stuff sitting outside houses by the curb (Craigslist stuff plus furniture, etc.) in this country right now? or
2) The total value of Sears Holdings stores nationwide (Ticker: SHLD)?

Sears in 2007 was a $144 stock- today it closed at $1.24. Also, it currently has a market cap of $135 million. There is a really good chance they will declare bankruptcy in the near future.

Yes, the stuff by the curb (aka Curb Co.) is used for the most part, so you'd have to assign a fair market value based on it being used.

But I still think Curb Co. may actually be worth more than Sears. If true, that is a staggering thought!

DRP270
Site Admin

Re: Scraps by Curb vs. Sears Holdings

Postby DRP270 » Tue Sep 25, 2018

No poll in the polling place???
ImageImageImage

recyclersteve

Postby recyclersteve » Tue Sep 25, 2018

I didn't know how to put in a poll- sorry. It is pretty easy on the RC site, but here it is different somehow and I couldn't easily figure it out.

DRP270
Site Admin

Postby DRP270 » Tue Sep 25, 2018

When you select new topic scroll down and there is a tab on the last box that says poll creation. If you edit your first post you should find poll creation is still available. I can clean up this chatter if you want to do that.
ImageImageImage

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Tue Sep 25, 2018

I thought the value in Sears was just real estate at this time. How many people shop at Sears? :?
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Tue Sep 25, 2018

tdtwedt wrote:I thought the value in Sears was just real estate at this time. How many people shop at Sears? :?

What’s Sears?
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

shinnosuke

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Sep 25, 2018

bigjohn wrote:
tdtwedt wrote:I thought the value in Sears was just real estate at this time. How many people shop at Sears? :?

What’s Sears?

It's how I cook my steaks.

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Tue Sep 25, 2018

Sears? Weren't those the catalogs we used to wipe ourselves with way back when?
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent," Credited to Goebbles.

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Tue Sep 25, 2018

I had a buddy who put a couch by the curb with a " Free" sign on it. It sat there for a few days. He then put a For Sale sign of $35 on it and it was gone the next morning :lol:
ImageImageImage

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Tue Sep 25, 2018

bigjohn wrote:What’s Sears?

Free toilet paper in the 40-50's from what I have been told.

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Tue Sep 25, 2018

It makes me a little sad to see the state of Sears these days. I'm pretty sure I would have been naked as a kid if not for Sears since it was the only place my Mom seemed to shop at. As a teenage gear head I lusted after those shiny American made Craftsman hand tools. 35 years later I still have the Mechanics tool set my parents bought me for Christmas in 1983. I even worked in the stock room at my local Sears for a few years while in high school. I went out with a girl I met there and we made out in the shoe dept. stock room on a few occasions. Later when I first got married, Mrs. Bitter and I bought our first appliance (a scratch and dent Kenmore washer) at Sears. We barely had 2 cents to rub together, but we didn't have to schlep our clothes over to the laundromat. I miss those days.

I guess that's what it's become, Sears is just nostalgia these days.
*** LOOKING FOR YPS #17 & 18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Tue Sep 25, 2018

If a Craftsman tool ever broke Sears would replace them free. I bought my Lineman's climbing Boots and most of my lineman's tools there. The reversible 9/16"-1/2" ratchet wrench was the best when working on top of a pole
ImageImageImage

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Fri Sep 28, 2018

Sears stock falls below $1 as key debt deadline nears

Shares of Sears Holdings fell below $1 for the first time on Friday morning, hitting an all-time low as the department store chain is running out of time to stay afloat.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compani ... spartandhp

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Fri Sep 28, 2018

Forgot to answer the question. #1 is correct. #2 is what their catalog is for wiping.

Here in the rust belt of upstate NY (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) their is a lot of scraping going on. Even our local Scout Troop has ongoing scraping and scrap day fund raisers.
"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent," Credited to Goebbles.

lucky43113

Postby lucky43113 » Fri Sep 28, 2018

Brick's wrote:Forgot to answer the question. #1 is correct. #2 is what their catalog is for wiping.

Here in the rust belt of upstate NY (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse) their is a lot of scraping going on. Even our local Scout Troop has ongoing scraping and scrap day fund raisers.

I use to scrap a lot of stuff but no money in it like there once was
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Image Image Image

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Wed Oct 10, 2018

Sears Preparing To File Bankruptcy As Soon As This Week

Sears has hired M-III Partners to prepare a bankruptcy filing that could come as soon as this week, the WSJ reported citing people familiar with the situation, as the cash-strapped company that once dominated American retailing faces a debt payment deadline.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-10- ... -soon-week

chris6084

Postby chris6084 » Sun Oct 14, 2018

A place to use the bathroom while at the shopping mall where you can take your time, play on your phone, and be totally undisturbed.

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Sun Oct 14, 2018

I't seems like I was raised in Sears. My mom would spend hours in there while I sat in the TV dept, bored to death...
then came Atari! I'd play space invaders in there begging her not to leave.
There were NO toys in Sears till Christmas time...then they'd stack'em to the ceiling.
They had a little 'Hot Nuts' booth in the middle of the store, mom would buy maybe 5 cashews and we'd each get 1.
Sears "Trax" tinny shoes were a staple (all my bud's wore Converse) I wore 97% sears clothes, their polo shirts had a little fire breathing dragon on them, my bud's had Izod. But they did have Levi's
I'd dream through the Sears n Roebucks catalog circling everything I wanted. They were the 1st Amazon!!!

At 18 yo in military, sears gave me a Credit Card. I bought charged my 1st tires there, alignment, tools and more tools, and later a craftsman rider lawn mower n weedeater (business start-up, eventually My business started painting houses, Weather Beater paint was premium), first fridge, TV, VCR, Surround Sound, Vacuum,...I'm teary!

I still go into the one here. I can park right at front door almost (empty store)
The help are mostly rude. Way over priced, but I bought some Dickies there last month.

The store still smells the same as when I was a kid. I'm more teary! :cry:
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Sun Oct 14, 2018

When I built my house 25 yrs ago i purchased all my kitchen appliances from Sears bc my employer paid for them and then took out a small amount every paycheck. That really helped when building a house on a budget. I still have the oven with the glass flat top stove ( the latest and greatest back then).
ImageImageImage

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Sun Oct 14, 2018

chris6084 wrote:

A place to use the bathroom while at the shopping mall where you can take your time, play on your phone, and be totally undisturbed.

That's "keeping it real" :lol:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Polling Place”