Panda vs Kook vs Lunar

Please put all polls here.

What is your favorite semi-numi of the following?

Perth Kookaburra
24%
Chinese Panda
18%
Perth Lunar
22%
Turtles
8%
Other
14%
None of the above
12%

Total votes: 49

DoctorMetal
Silver Supporter

Re: Panda vs Kook vs Lunar

Postby DoctorMetal » Sun Jan 10, 2016

I don't hold it against anybody who has issues with the Perth Mint re-striking policy, but other than the Roos, Koalas, Kiwis, some African series, and the IOM Cats, the Kook is the only major silver legal tender coin that changes designs annually. The Pandas are a close second, and the Brits do a feeble imitation by rotating designs every other year. The Lunars likewise are too repetitive. Sure, for pure weight, one can easily go with ASEs, Maples, Turtles and Libs, but I'm betting there will be a lot of set collectors in the future when this "golden age" of semi-numismatics is over.

Mr. Ed
Group Buy Moderator

Postby Mr. Ed » Wed Jan 13, 2016

Turtles got my vote for sure but, all kidding aside, I am a big fan of the Lunars and I am now working on a third set of 1 ounce series 1. The 1/2 ounce series 1 is a chore but, still working on it. The design may be repetitive but, the designs are pretty cool.

:turtle:
Vision without execution is hallucination

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Sat Jan 23, 2016

I have a set of the lunar series and pandas starting from 2010. Not sure where to go right now because of milkspotting! But I'd say kooks or lunars

dbm300

Postby dbm300 » Sun Jan 24, 2016

The only ones I see appreciating are lunars because of the lower mintages and a seeming larger interest by the general world population. Try collecting the 2 and 5 ounce ones though.

I like Kooks and still collect them but with the reminting of older dates they lost some of their appeal. They also stopped the 2 oz a couple of years ago so try getting all the 2 oz and you can have a complete set and be done with it.

I like Libertads but once again try collecting 2 and 5 oz coins. much lower mintages. It can be challenging collecting all the 1 oz and their varieties but not impossible.

Britannias are a nice short series but they have gone from less than 100K mintage to unlimited and single design so I don't collect them any more. If I saw a roll cheap I'd pick it up but it is no different than ASE to me now.

Koalas are a nice short series (started in 2007 I believe) but the early ones are fugly. Still kind of collect them but half heartedly. Kids like them.

Pandas - never got into them because I don't trust the crap from China. As Jim Cramer would say "Don't Buy, Don't Buy" Some of the early ones are quite pricey. Big demand worldwide. I think you really have to know your stuff not to get fake ones. I have a friend that actually paid $60 for 1 oz fake pandas. Good life lesson right there.

Turtles - I like them, I have them, but I don't actively have all the dates. I just buy when I come across them. Really like the 5 oz ones. Mr Ed can tell you all there is to know about Turtles.

Somali elephants - I have most of the older dates. I like the changing designs but I was turned off by the fact that you can't really know the mintages. Supposedly the older ones are limited to 5000 then just like Britannia's they bumped up the mintages. I think they are 120,000 or so but no one is really giving accurate numbers.

Rwanda animal series - also a newer series - I think started in 2008 and the gorilla is really pricey! :shock: I think I have the first 5 or 6 and lost interest but at least they are different and interesting.

At the end of the day you got to collect things that interest you and make the hobby fun. Lately I have just been buying bullion and have paired down my collecting.

My suggestion would be not to collect 1 oz coins because they are the highest mintage coins and there are so many choices you can get bogged down in getting every type or variety or privy mark etc. Also avoid kilo coins. Yes it is cool to have 31 oz of metal in your hand but if you ever want to sell them, no one cares that it is a rare "North American Dodo bird" kilo. For me the sweet spot is 2 and 5 oz coins. Enough variety to be interesting, cheap enough to collect, low enough mintage to make it a challenge, and maybe someday be worth something.

Avoid the perth mint limited edition stuff, the Canadian limited edition stuff, gilded coins, etc unless you just like it. You will never get your money back from the 1 oz Star Wars Darth Vader coin with the commemorative design box and genuine replica wookie fur that you paid $129 for.

That's my 2 cents FWIW

Of course it is 4 in the morning and I am awake and I am probably rambling but no one is here to stop me. Bwah ha hah ahahahah!!!!!!!
... and Bob's your uncle.

Return to “Polling Place”