Panda vs Kook vs Lunar

Please put all polls here.

What is your favorite semi-numi of the following?

Perth Kookaburra
24%
Chinese Panda
18%
Perth Lunar
22%
Turtles
8%
Other
14%
None of the above
12%

Total votes: 49

thaweatherman

Panda vs Kook vs Lunar

Postby thaweatherman » Sun Jan 10, 2016

What's your favorite?
Last edited by thaweatherman on Sun Jan 10, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Re: Panda vs Kook vs Lunar

Postby MaxGravy » Sun Jan 10, 2016

You forgot "none of the above." Since you asked, I don't find any of those coins attractive.
ImageImageImage
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

Mechanic4hire3
Platinum Supporter

Postby Mechanic4hire3 » Sun Jan 10, 2016

Sorry for the rain Weatherman, but I'm with the Duck on this one. :sick:
EBay rcook21973
Local: Redwheel_ Numismatics

db23

Postby db23 » Sun Jan 10, 2016

The Perth Lunar coins are the only of the 3 still worth collecting IMO. They killed the Kook series when they tried to raise the mintage to 1,000,000 and then reduced it to 500,000 - still a substantial increase from the previous max.

Pandas are minted in the MILLIONS, a non-universal size, no longer marked with purity. Pandas have actually become a bad investment IMO.

Justfishin

Postby Justfishin » Sun Jan 10, 2016

db23 wrote:The Perth Lunar coins are the only of the 3 still worth collecting IMO. They killed the Kook series when they tried to raise the mintage to 1,000,000 and then reduced it to 500,000 - still a substantial increase from the previous max.

Pandas are minted in the MILLIONS, a non-universal size, no longer marked with purity. Pandas have actually become a bad investment IMO.

Only 2015s had no purity

http://www.apmex.com/product/92384/2016 ... in-capsule
ImageImage ImageImage
KCCO

Brucifer
Silver Supporter

Postby Brucifer » Sun Jan 10, 2016

MaxGravy wrote:You forgot "none of the above." Since you asked, I don't find any of those coins attractive.

Big +1 on that. If you haven’t yet invested into any of these series, don’t start now and a few years from now I think you’ll be really happy you didn’t.

omarf1

Postby omarf1 » Sun Jan 10, 2016

All of them. As they change the design ! I stop collecting non changing design ( liberttads, ...)

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Sun Jan 10, 2016

I don't own any of them, the premium is too high and who knows if I would be able to get that premium out years down the road. I try to stick to lower premium bullion myself but do buy more expensive stuff if I really like it, just not the three listed here. With that said, i think there is a small (very small) chance of this year's panda becoming a key date. The feedback for the new weight is not very positive. If that translates into lower sales and a change back to Troy oz, this year's panda will do well long term. I know I probably alone on this but that's one of my theories. I will probably buy a sheet or two if the prices come down a little.
LOOKING FOR YPS #12 BARS TO COMPLETE A COLLECTION!!! PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY - I HAVE YOUR REPLACEMENT READY OR CAN BUY OUT RIGHT.

ImageImage Image

Altima

Postby Altima » Sun Jan 10, 2016

Pandas would be the clear winner here, although 1/2oz lunars will be the sleeper I believe. Sold all my kooks cos I don't think there is any more upside.

Should consider the maple privy. They seem to doing quite well.
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

Mr. Ed
Group Buy Moderator

Postby Mr. Ed » Sun Jan 10, 2016

I like Turtles ;)
Vision without execution is hallucination

Brucifer
Silver Supporter

Postby Brucifer » Sun Jan 10, 2016

Mr. Ed wrote:I like Turtles ;)

This is a good weekend to buy 2oz Turtles, too. JM has them for $1.49 over spot, which is a lot less than the premiums on the three you asked about.

smackvay
Gold Supporter

Postby smackvay » Sun Jan 10, 2016

I have a nice starter set of silver pandas id get rid of if anyone is looking to start a set

I like them but I see a downward trend moving forward
Help support bullionstacker by becoming a supporting member!!!
pm me for details or click on the support Bullionstacker button to the left
WVU Fan, just ask and I will tell you!!!!!

CCC2010
Turtle Supporter

Postby CCC2010 » Sun Jan 10, 2016

Harry D wrote:

This is a good weekend to buy 2oz Turtles, too. JM has them for $1.49 over spot, which is a lot less than the premiums on the three you asked about.

+1 :thumbup:
Image WTB:6 oz YPS Golf Ball. Pls.PM me.

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Harry D wrote:

This is certainly the best deal on the market today. If I was buying anything, I'd buy these turtles and diversify into more expensive stuff when there are no deals
LOOKING FOR YPS #12 BARS TO COMPLETE A COLLECTION!!! PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY - I HAVE YOUR REPLACEMENT READY OR CAN BUY OUT RIGHT.

ImageImage Image

DoctorMetal
Silver Supporter

Postby DoctorMetal » Sun Jan 10, 2016

Funny how a Panda/Kook/Lunar thread turned into a Turtle thread. :roll: I voted Kook BTW on the basis of pure aesthetics and their more widespread popularity within the English-speaking world. Dangit, I just need ONE of those 2oz Turtles for my Piedfort collection, and all the vendors require a minimum 100 dollar order and I ain't gonna pay ebay prices for one. Anyone want to help me out? EDIT: Got one from a member who offered to help me out. Thanks. The ONE goes in an album for those 2oz Hi Relief Piedforts like the Privateer series (I've always been fond of piedforts ever since my old collector days as I learned they were associated with royalty).
Last edited by DoctorMetal on Sun Jan 10, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

DoctorMetal wrote:Funny how a Panda/Kook/Lunar thread turned into a Turtle thread. :roll: I voted Kook BTW on the basis of pure aesthetics and their more widespread popularity within the English-speaking world. Dangit, I just need ONE of those 2oz Turtles for my Piedfort collection, and all the vendors require a minimum 100 dollar order and I ain't gonna pay ebay prices for one. Anyone want to help me out?
LOL..... Get $100 worth, they are worth it. I was never a fan of turtles till this very coin came out. I have made several purchases already and have a single coin out of the tube to play with, it's a great coin to hold, nice shape and weight!

ImageImage Image

thaweatherman

Postby thaweatherman » Sun Jan 10, 2016

I guess the commenters have different preferences, so what other semi-numis do you prefer?

I modified the poll to include turtles and none.

db23

Postby db23 » Sun Jan 10, 2016

thaweatherman wrote:I guess the commenters have different preferences, so what other semi-numis do you prefer?

Turtles are still tied to spot except for the 2010, they aren't really in the same category as the original 3 IMO.

Altima

Postby Altima » Sun Jan 10, 2016

db23 wrote:
thaweatherman wrote:I guess the commenters have different preferences, so what other semi-numis do you prefer?

Turtles are still tied to spot except for the 2010, they aren't really in the same category as the original 3 IMO.

Better to change the turtles to libertads. Plenty of libertads collectors here!
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

mtforpar

Postby mtforpar » Sun Jan 10, 2016

I wonder how many commenting are actually trying to move these coins at a profit. After 2 to 3 years the lunars are pretty consistently winners. Historically, pandas were similar but really high mintage along recent changes throw the future into question on them. Kooks are nice looking coins and may have their day in the sun again but past decisions on reminting still haunt them to this day.
Last edited by mtforpar on Mon Jan 11, 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Take advantage of Mr Rebates and get cash back on tons of Internet purchases. It works, it really works!!! Hit the link below and you are on your way and you will also receive a $5 bonus for signing up.

http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=395845

Don't miss out on Free Cash for everyday purchases.

Return to “Polling Place”