Flu Shots

Please put all polls here.

Did you get a flu shot this year? Choose Yes or No plus one comment.

Poll ended at Tue Jan 19, 2016

Yes
23%
No
19%
Yes, I'm a believer!
9%
Yes, because my employer requires it.
6%
Yes, but it never does any good.
1%
Yes, but it always makes me sick.
No votes
Not yet but I intend to.
1%
No, but I use to.
5%
No, I never get sick anyway.
10%
No way! There's ___ in that crap!
23%

Total votes: 77

TTrav
Gold Supporter

Re: Flu Shots

Postby TTrav » Wed Jan 06, 2016

Engineer wrote:A few years ago, pharmacists would have claimed the same of zinc. :pop:

Zinc as a supplement or for colds? If for colds, then I would argue that it is total junk science. As a supplement, for some people with a zinc deficiency it's totally necessary. But, zinc is naturally occurring. It's found in plants, meats, abundantly in lots of seafood, etc. It's in out own bodies and we've known that for... 50+ years (I think). Silver isn't naturally occurring. At least that I am aware of, it's not in foods that we regularly ingest and we know that it can be toxic. To say that zinc deficiency was improperly addressed, therefore colloidal silver might be idea is quite the jump.

Engineer
Pirate Jester

Postby Engineer » Wed Jan 06, 2016

TTrav wrote:
Engineer wrote:A few years ago, pharmacists would have claimed the same of zinc. :pop:

Zinc as a supplement or for colds? If for colds, then I would argue that it is total junk science.

Is Zicam really junk science? I'll let you be the judge...since you're the guy who sells it. :pop:
The year 2017: Where words and ideas are considered too hateful to be said,
while riots and assault are considered too peaceful to be prosecuted.

InfleXion

Postby InfleXion » Wed Jan 06, 2016

I've seen copper on nutrition labels before. I'd be interested to know why silver isn't in the same boat.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

Be wary of he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

http://search.lores.eu/indexo.htm

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Wed Jan 06, 2016

Pecker wrote:
Purple and Gold wrote:I have never taken a flu shot.
During the flu season I try to practice Franklin's " an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"
:thumbup:

Whiskey is where it's at! :D

Oh, yes! :P Works for me!
ImageImageImage

TTrav
Gold Supporter

Engineer wrote:Is Zicam really junk science? I'll let you be the judge...since you're the guy who sells it. :pop:

My former employer sells it. They also sell a lot of homeopathic crap that I would never recommend. They sell all sorts of weird herbal drugs and Dr Oz magic cures. They sell cigarettes too, but I would hardly endorse smoking. That being said, if you were to ask me I would not recommend it, I would tell you that I don't think that it is effective at preventing colds or shortening their duration. It's probably not harmful, but I would probably just get a cheaper bag of cough drops instead.

Edit: typo.
Last edited by TTrav on Wed Jan 06, 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Justfishin

Postby Justfishin » Wed Jan 06, 2016

Come on, big pharm not watching our boards and EVERYBODY knows the kickbacks doctors and pharmacists get from big drug companies. Gotta keep the drug machine rollin. .....
ImageImage ImageImage
KCCO

Engineer
Pirate Jester

Postby Engineer » Wed Jan 06, 2016

TTrav wrote:
Engineer wrote:Is Zicam really junk science? I'll let you be the judge...since you're the guy who sells it. :pop:

My former employer sells it. I would tell you that I don't think that it is effective at preventing colds or shortening their duration. It's probably not harmful, but I would probably just get a cheaper bag of cough drops instead.

I forgot you'd been institutionalized. Sorry about that.

Regarding zicam your opinion disagrees with the literature, but that doesn't mean you aren't correct. Peer reviewed literature must pass through committees, and committees have a notoriously high efficacy rate against sensibility.

Going back to your assertions that silver isn't definitive in the literature, I'd ask what that really means. It means we haven't studied the loss of microdoses of silver oxides from the change to stainless utensils...or perhaps dilute acids dissolving a bit of a tray or storage pitcher. Yet, as a pharmacist, you argue against replacement of that silver rather than the root cause of switching to stainless flatware and plastic milk jugs. Isn't that argument a bit one-sided?
The year 2017: Where words and ideas are considered too hateful to be said,
while riots and assault are considered too peaceful to be prosecuted.

TTrav
Gold Supporter

Engineer wrote:I forgot you'd been institutionalized. Sorry about that.

Regarding zicam your opinion disagrees with the literature, but that doesn't mean you aren't correct. Peer reviewed literature must pass through committees, and committees have a notoriously high efficacy rate against sensibility.

Without getting into the weeds on zinc any further, the reason that I say that it's probably not effective is that I had to do a literature review for a preceptor while I was on rotations a few years back. From what I could find, the well done studies showed no significant benefit, and any study showing benefit had a few glaring issues with the study design. Again, I feel like colloidal silver is off topic and zinc is really, really off topic so I am going to bow out of the zinc discussion.
Going back to your assertions that silver isn't definitive in the literature, I'd ask what that really means. It means we haven't studied the loss of microdoses of silver oxides from the change to stainless utensils...or perhaps dilute acids dissolving a bit of a tray or storage pitcher. Yet, as a pharmacist, you argue against replacement of that silver rather than the root cause of switching to stainless flatware and plastic milk jugs. Isn't that argument a bit one-sided?

You make it seem like because a few rich families were able to eat from a literal silver spoon over the past few centuries and probably got a small amount of silver in their diet as a result that we should ingest colloidal silver. Silver in the diet is entirely new to our species, absent in nature, and has next to no evidence. I was stating that I think that it's either a harmless placebo effect (since you're only getting a tiny microdose) or snake oil. Either way, if anyone wants to drink a microdose of a heavy metal, go for it, but I sure as heck wouldn't recommend it.

oswarped

Postby oswarped » Wed Jan 06, 2016

[/quote]Regarding zicam your opinion disagrees with the literature, but that doesn't mean you aren't correct. Peer reviewed literature must pass through committees, and committees have a notoriously high efficacy rate against sensibility.

Going back to your assertions that silver isn't definitive in the literature, I'd ask what that really means. It means we haven't studied the loss of microdoses of silver oxides from the change to stainless utensils...or perhaps dilute acids dissolving a bit of a tray or storage pitcher. Yet, as a pharmacist, you argue against replacement of that silver rather than the root cause of switching to stainless flatware and plastic milk jugs. Isn't that argument a bit one-sided?[/quote]

Since being of age I have not and never will use a vaccine!

I've not had a serious cold or flu in several years. I use zicam at the first indications of a cold or flu. I also start using silver a few drops under the tongue. Placebo maybe but I can say since using zicam and silver do not suffer like many others. Once had a pneumonia on a friday it was the onset, Saturday I set up a mister with mask and inhaled colloidal silver every few hours, Sunday the same. Monday back to normal. I doubt that any drug given by a doc could have worked as well. And I had zero side effects. I place most doctors in the same column as lawyers and car salesmen. Doctors are bought off by pharmaceuticals, my daughter works in health care and salesmen for pharma will come in and pushing the latest drug, buy office people lunch and do what they can to push the new drug. Look up what fluoride can do to you, vaccines with mercury, autism etc... Polio vaccines that will cause cancer and tumors in later years! It is in their best interest not cure anything because if they did it would mean the end of the money stream.

More than 98 million Americans received one or more doses of polio vaccine from 1955 to 1963 when a proportion of vaccine was contaminated with SV40; it has been estimated that 10–30 million Americans could have received an SV40 contaminated dose of vaccine.
SV40 virus has been found in certain types of cancer in humans, but it has not been determined that SV40 causes these cancers.
The majority of scientific evidence suggests that SV40-contaminated vaccine did not cause cancer; however, some research results are conflicting and more studies are needed.
But I am sure someone will say but look how many it did help? To those I would say it should have not harmed anyone! Yes I could be on of those who received the vaccine in that period.
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/it-only-took-50-years-cdc-admits-polio-vaccine-tainted-with-cancer-causing-virus/

InfleXion

Postby InfleXion » Wed Jan 06, 2016

Deferring to my favorite Dr. Mercola (same guy I pointed to not so long ago about artificial sweeteners contributing to Alzheimers):

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... d-flu.aspx

(Paraphrasing) It's not that zinc is going to cure a cold. It's that your immune system needs it to perform optimally, and isn't able to store it up, so people who have zinc deficiency can benefit from taking a zinc supplement in much the same way vitamin C supplements can help people when they are sick if if they're deficient in that mineral.

As for colloidal silver, I know very little about it, and I came across doctors on both sides of the fence in my search, but I like this link from Dr. Josh Axe which covers the benefits and their explanations so that we can examine the information instead of playing he said, she said.

http://draxe.com/colloidal-silver-benefits/
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

Be wary of he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

http://search.lores.eu/indexo.htm

Shortstack McAygee
Silver Supporter

Postby Shortstack McAygee » Thu Jan 07, 2016

oswarped wrote:It is in their best interest not cure anything because if they did it would mean the end of the money stream.

This.

There's big bucks in making sure there's a steady/growing number of customers.

Yes, there are well-intentioned healthcare professionals & what-not, but the overall system is too deeply entrenched. Decades & decades in the making.

If people/entities are pulling in money, they want to ensure that money continues to flow. Nobody wants to be out of a job, especially a good-paying one. And this goes for not only the traditional healthcare companies, but also the likes of the FDA, ALA, ACS, AHA, etc.

Honestly, the best healthcare is not to get sick in the first place. That means taking some serious responsibility in one's life. For starters, eat good, nutritious food. Real food. Some may consider it a scam, but years ago I embarked on a journey of introducing as much natural/organic food as possible into my diet. It can make a big difference. There's a lot of garbage out there these days that's being passed off as "food" -- stuff that I feel sick from eating it. You are what you eat is definitely not a meaningless cliche.

As a related side note, supermarket *pet* food is poision, from my experience. Our furry friends can experience a sudden & dramatic improvement in health when you feed them similar real food as above. Yes, you might pay a bit more at the cash register, but: 1.) Pets now eat less (as they're getting the nutrition they're supposed to), and 2.) You save big $$ on vet bills.

I won't get into other aspects for human health, such as regular exercise, good mental/emotional health, daily multi-vitamins, etc. Heck, I even use raw/unfiltered apple cider vinegar (the real stuff, dark liquid with things floating in it), as well as unrefined coconut oil, both externally & internally, for maintenance & all sorts of various minor ailments which can pop up. These two items alone can work wonders (and save some good $$, to boot).

Back on topic: No, no more flu shots for me, unless absolutely "necessary" (like visiting a newborn), as I grudgingly comply if that's the parents' wishes.

Anyway, only one body & one mind. Take care of them. And that means doing some homework & making some easy-to-implement decisions. Definitely been paying off for those in my household for years now. As odd as it might seem, there are many whose livelihoods rely on you being sick & unhealthy. Stick it to them where it hurts. ;)

brian0918

Postby brian0918 » Thu Jan 07, 2016

Shortstack McAygee wrote:Honestly, the best healthcare is not to get sick in the first place. That means taking some serious responsibility in one's life. For starters, eat good, nutritious food. Real food.

My experience supports this as well. It's unfortunate because now I have to make up fake excuses in order to take sick days, whereas before I started eating healthier, I'd actually get sick. Although I still made up plenty of excuses before. :P

(By "eating healthier", I mean that we get all our meat and vegetables from a local farm, cook everything in grass-fed beef tallow, unrefined coconut/olive oil, or Kerrygold butter, and drink mostly water, tea, coffee, or occasional wine. We don't eat bread or other grains too often, and avoid vegetable oils or sugary drinks.)

Back on topic: never had a flu shot, never will.

carssman

Postby carssman » Thu Jan 07, 2016

oswarped wrote:

Going back to your assertions that silver isn't definitive in the literature, I'd ask what that really means. It means we haven't studied the loss of microdoses of silver oxides from the change to stainless utensils...or perhaps dilute acids dissolving a bit of a tray or storage pitcher. Yet, as a pharmacist, you argue against replacement of that silver rather than the root cause of switching to stainless flatware and plastic milk jugs. Isn't that argument a bit one-sided?[/quote]

Since being of age I have not and never will use a vaccine!

I've not had a serious cold or flu in several years. I use zicam at the first indications of a cold or flu. I also start using silver a few drops under the tongue. Placebo maybe but I can say since using zicam and silver do not suffer like many others. Once had a pneumonia on a friday it was the onset, Saturday I set up a mister with mask and inhaled colloidal silver every few hours, Sunday the same. Monday back to normal. I doubt that any drug given by a doc could have worked as well. And I had zero side effects. I place most doctors in the same column as lawyers and car salesmen. Doctors are bought off by pharmaceuticals, my daughter works in health care and salesmen for pharma will come in and pushing the latest drug, buy office people lunch and do what they can to push the new drug. Look up what fluoride can do to you, vaccines with mercury, autism etc... Polio vaccines that will cause cancer and tumors in later years! It is in their best interest not cure anything because if they did it would mean the end of the money stream.

More than 98 million Americans received one or more doses of polio vaccine from 1955 to 1963 when a proportion of vaccine was contaminated with SV40; it has been estimated that 10–30 million Americans could have received an SV40 contaminated dose of vaccine.
SV40 virus has been found in certain types of cancer in humans, but it has not been determined that SV40 causes these cancers.
The majority of scientific evidence suggests that SV40-contaminated vaccine did not cause cancer; however, some research results are conflicting and more studies are needed.
But I am sure someone will say but look how many it did help? To those I would say it should have not harmed anyone! Yes I could be on of those who received the vaccine in that period.
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/it-only-took-50-years-cdc-admits-polio-vaccine-tainted-with-cancer-causing-virus/[/quote]

Another happy Royalty Juice customer :thumbup: and great testimonial (unpaid for again!)

oswarped

Postby oswarped » Sun Jan 10, 2016

Some nurses are choosing to lose their jobs instead of being forced into receiving a vaccine. Others are fighting back by suing the hospital, state, and federal governments for $100,000,000 for trying to take away their constitutional rights.http://naturalsociety.com/22000-nurses-refuse-mandatory-vaccinations/

Return to “Polling Place”