Frugal. Not cheap
72%
I'm a baller... Making it rain
11%

Total votes: 83

lucky43113

Re: How cheap are you?

Postby lucky43113 » Thu Oct 01, 2015

i told my dad for christmas i was going to get him a wallet made out of cedar he asked why cedar i said so the moths will stay away from your moldy money :lol:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.---Benjamin Franklin

ImageImage Image

eventurer

Postby eventurer » Sat Oct 03, 2015

Wow figured would have some in same group but didn't expect so many! I agree could use the fillable Kcups to save but I consider $.25 my daily splurge!

One of my favorite says is "if it's yellow let it mellow" (don't flush unless it's a #2) wife isn't impressed either.

Most of my tshirts are from the 90's and most often don't through out clothes until their thread bare or too tight. The later happens more and more now... :(

Another thing I do is buy fancy high end dress shirts on eBay for when I need to get suited up. It's like buying a used car and letting someone else take the hit. Since their expensive they are generally well taken care but a fraction of the price.
How do you go bankrupt? First gradually, then suddenly....
http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Rastatodd

Postby Rastatodd » Sat Oct 03, 2015

I'm a guy who likes a deal. I'm a Happenings Coupon Book member and use coupons when ever possible. I was over at my oldest daughters house and on the side of the refrigerator was plastered with coupons stuck to the side with magnets. I know she got her thrill of a deal from me. I'm so proud of her. :D

NorthernStacker

Postby NorthernStacker » Sat Oct 03, 2015

Very little food gets wasted in my house, if i have boiled potatoes/carrots etc one day and there are left overs I cook them up the next day and make what we call "hash" , cook up some ground beef, throw in a chopped onion /garlic , cut up the cold potato/carrots etc , salt and pepper plus whatever other seasoning you like, this time of year I throw in a ripe tomato as well, fry it all up , yummy, no waste. Its actually tastes better this way , must be the fat from the ground beef. Oh if your putting in a ripe chopped up tomato don't do it until the "Hash" is nearly done cooking or it will make it a tad runny, although its not bad that way either.

My buddy next door is always complaining about how much his wife "wastes" food, he says he could feed a pig on what she throws out in the compost bucket each day. I tell him his pig would starve if he was relying on my wasted food. :lol:
ImageImageImage

eventurer

NorthernStacker wrote:Very little food gets wasted in my house, if i have boiled potatoes/carrots etc one day and there are left overs I cook them up the next day and make what we call "hash" , cook up some ground beef, throw in a chopped onion /garlic , cut up the cold potato/carrots etc , salt and pepper plus whatever other seasoning you like, this time of year I throw in a ripe tomato as well, fry it all up , yummy, no waste. Its actually tastes better this way , must be the fat from the ground beef. Oh if your putting in a ripe chopped up tomato don't do it until the "Hash" is nearly done cooking or it will make it a tad runny, although its not bad that way either.

My buddy next door is always complaining about how much his wife "wastes" food, he says he could feed a pig on what she throws out in the compost bucket each day. I tell him his pig would starve if he was relying on my wasted food. :lol:

That sounds pretty yummy. I hate when wife waste food.

One time when I was like 12 I came home and made peanut butter and jelly sammich with rye bread :mrgreen: I had no idea what rye bread was and it tasted horrible. Mom came home and saw it in the trash and was like "we don't throw away food in this house" and I had to finish it. Chased every bite with a glass of milk and still hate rye bread to this day... When ever I go to Carnigie deli up in NYC I always order Ruben on sourdough. Waiter give me a funny look like really?!? Think I hear them muttering "Damm southerns" under their breath....

H2SO4
Gold Jeeper

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Oct 03, 2015

eventurer wrote:
Most of my tshirts are from the 90's and most often don't through out clothes until their thread bare or too tight. The later happens more and more now... :(

Another thing I do is buy fancy high end dress shirts on eBay for when I need to get suited up. It's like buying a used car and letting someone else take the hit. Since their expensive they are generally well taken care but a fraction of the price.

I have almost all my t shirts from highl school and college stil! Wife has seen them for 10+ years now! Haha. She tosses them as they become ridiculously worn.

I also take a cheap route on expensive clothes, although it's a little different. I get mine custom made just for me:) but I order from Shanghai, I know a kid there. They have my measurements and I just let them know what I want and in what material! It's a sweet deal.

I also make my own ice tea or hot tea at home (Also imported). I can't Stand the I cups for many reasons- just don't like them in my house. Don't care about others choices.
Always looking for BS Bars- any serial numbers. Buy/Trade

eventurer

H2SO4 wrote: I order from Shanghai, I know a kid there. They have my measurements and I just let them know what I want and in what material! It's a sweet deal.

Been thinking about going the sweatshop route too... Just haven't been able to pull the trigger.

Induz
Gold Supporter

Postby Induz » Sat Oct 03, 2015

I'm an Indian, 'nuf said :lol:
I accept Postal Money Orders, Personal Checks, Chase P2P and Dwolla. Shipping prices does not include insurance. If you want insurance/registered mail, it's always extra.

Image Image Image Image

t458

Postby t458 » Tue Jan 05, 2016

I'm pretty cheap. But still I prefer to lose money than to lose face, if it comes to that.

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Tue Jan 05, 2016

Engineer wrote:
PeacePeople wrote:
pitw wrote:I was cheap until I caught an old neighbor reusing butt wipe in the out house :shock: . Now I'm extremely frugal. :lol: :lol:

What the hell were you....never mind, I don't want to know.

Berry picking. :pop:

ahahahahahahaha :clap:

Man you crack me up.

I'm not cheap....well not when it comes to guns, metal detectors and coins. I believe in buying quality that lasts. I spend more on metal detectors than cars these days. Hey, cars don't find gold and platinum rings!
Payments accepted via Paypal (no fee or add 2.9%), Check, USPS MO, or Cash (Item will ship when funds are received)

Check out my eBay store: http://www.ebay.com/sch/barsandstars/m.html

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Tue Jan 05, 2016

I am not cheap. I like to buy nice things, I believe in quality of life, I will never try to save money on my family. With that said, I do a ton of research and get the best possible deal on everything I buy, I buy in bulk everything as practical, and I won't allow waste, no matter how immaterial.
LOOKING FOR YPS #12 BARS TO COMPLETE A COLLECTION!!! PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY - I HAVE YOUR REPLACEMENT READY OR CAN BUY OUT RIGHT.

ImageImage Image

Zugzwang

Postby Zugzwang » Tue Jan 05, 2016

Hiya All,
2 cups of tea from one bag - just wanted to share...

For what it's worth, you can put a tea bag in one of the reusable K-cups, works fine, easy storage till 2nd cup...

Cheers,
Z.
Image Image Image

If U.S. Dollars were miles, the U.S. national debt could be expressed in light years -- over 3 now, and counting...

pitw
Gold Supporter

Postby pitw » Wed Jan 06, 2016

Water is free and you don't need to add anything so the price remains the same. Never drank a cup of coffee or tea in me life. :thumbup:

Justfishin

Postby Justfishin » Wed Jan 06, 2016

pitw wrote:Water is free and you don't need to add anything so the price remains the same. Never drank a cup of coffee or tea in me life. :thumbup:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
ImageImage ImageImage
KCCO

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Wed Jan 06, 2016

H2SO4 wrote:
I have almost all my t shirts from highl school and college stil! Wife has seen them for 10+ years now! Haha. She tosses them as they become ridiculously worn.

I'm not going to give away all my cheap trade secrets. But, I'm so cheap my high school and college shirts are now cut up snot rags. Virtually all our clothes come from the 2nd hand store. My wife is the queen of finding actual uniform shirts/pants from the school my kids go to at the thrift store. We do buy new shoes and sox but only on sale or with coupon. I only bought one new truck/car in my life back in '98. I had the GM credit card maxed out with bonus $$ to buy a 1500. That will never happen again. I drive used rice burners that last to 1/4 million miles now.

We have so many compact fluorescent/LED light bulbs (a case not used yet,) hang our own laundry to dry, and throttle the thermostat on the furnace so far back, hang curtains to stop any air flow/infiltration, and close off the vents to less used parts of the house that we are in the top 10% of least energy users in the Syracuse area according to NYSEG. And that with two teenagers in the house.

Our coffee maker is a Mr. Coffee from the thrift store. Cost me $5. We grind already ground beans to powder them down to Espresso style in order to leach out every milligram of caffeine we can get out of them. After the pot is gone, I put another cup of water through for the last cup of weak coffee. And never use the K-cups. Even the guy that invented them says they are an environmental disaster and could easily be made decomposable, but don't take my word for it.

Like BigJohn I research any/every significant purchase and always buy in bulk sales. Waste infuriates me. All kitchen scraps are composted. We boil the bones and vegetable scraps to make soup stock or make rice/beans with. Nor'stacker, I'm going to try out your hash "a la Brick" some day..

I understand the multi-wipe piece of TP but, draw the line there. Our kids had cloth diapers and my wife used a pump to stock up on mother's milk for the kids in case she went dry. Most got donated once the kids were weaned. Yes, you can donate mothers milk.

I did buy a custom suit in Singapore on my way back from the Brunei oil fields but that was over 3 decades ago. Perhaps when my daughter gets married I'll get a pin striped double breasted to wear with Fedora and do the original Gangsta look.

In short, living austerity with the depression era attitude of "Use it Up, Wear it Out Make it Do or Do Without".

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Wed Jan 06, 2016

Pretty impressive, that deserves an award of some kind!
LOOKING FOR YPS #12 BARS TO COMPLETE A COLLECTION!!! PM ME IF YOU HAVE ANY - I HAVE YOUR REPLACEMENT READY OR CAN BUY OUT RIGHT.

ImageImage Image

beauanderos

Postby beauanderos » Wed Jan 06, 2016

Brick's wrote:
I understand the multi-wipe piece of TP but, draw the line there.
In short, living austerity with the depression era attitude of "Use it Up, Wear it Out Make it Do or Do Without".

TP??? :shock: Napkins are free! :lol: "Live well within your budget... and you will live well, within your budget." :D

Anything we don't waste on everyday expenses we get to spend on extra shiny. :mrgreen:
The Hand of God moves WorldsImageImage
We are here to help others by practicing a friendly attitude. Every person is borne for a purpose. Everyone has a God-given potential, in essence, built into them. If we are to live life to its fullest, we must realize that potential.

Engineer
Pirate Jester

Postby Engineer » Wed Jan 06, 2016

beauanderos wrote:
Brick's wrote:
I understand the multi-wipe piece of TP but, draw the line there.

TP??? :shock: Napkins are free! :lol: "Live well within your budget... and you will live well, within your budget." :D

Anything we don't waste on everyday expenses we get to spend on extra shiny. :mrgreen:

Phone books and Sears catalogs are getting hard to find, and they call this damn internet thing progress. Why back in my day...
The year 2017: Where words and ideas are considered too hateful to be said,
while riots and assault are considered too peaceful to be prosecuted.

H2SO4
Gold Jeeper

Postby H2SO4 » Wed Jan 06, 2016

beauanderos wrote: "Live well within your budget... and you will live well, within your budget." :D

great quote.
Always looking for BS Bars- any serial numbers. Buy/Trade

Justfishin

Postby Justfishin » Wed Jan 06, 2016

bigjohn wrote:Pretty impressive, that deserves an award of some kind!

Cheapest mofo out there? :lol:

I would be single if I tried half that at home
ImageImage ImageImage
KCCO

Return to “Polling Place”