Any gardeners?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
AGhead

Re: Any gardeners?

Postby AGhead » Wed Jul 13, 2016

me and my lil brother would spend all morn picking these delish lil' berries (pencil eraser avg size)
We'd wash em and pick out floaters...mom would make a pie crust, put some sugar in w them, top w crust,(a little sugar sprinkled on top crust), bake....Dammits!!!
Wife cooks ok too. :shifty:
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Postby Recluse » Mon Jul 18, 2016

I was out by the garden looking up at a large pignut hickory tree trying to identify a bird when all of the sudden a half eaten green tomato falls out of the tree and misses my head by a foot. :shock: It must have been a squirrel. There are plenty of green nuts and field corn in milk for them to eat but a tomato?

im2shakey
Gold Supporter

Postby im2shakey » Mon Jul 18, 2016

Recluse wrote:I was out by the garden looking up at a large pignut hickory tree trying to identify a bird when all of the sudden a half eaten green tomato falls out of the tree and misses my head by a foot. :shock: It must have been a squirrel. There are plenty of green nuts and field corn in milk for them to eat but a tomato?

I am growing some tomatoes in buckets (which are doing great) and something bored holes in several green tomatoes about the size of a quarter....none since I dusted them.
ImageImage

rsk1963

Postby rsk1963 » Sat Jul 23, 2016

everything wrote:Pulled some garlic today, got probably ten times more than this to pull yet, my garden size is 25*50. 3 different potatoes going, they are starting to flower, all fingerlings. Been pulling carrots too, dirt is hard so planted the shorter carrots and they don't need to be dug, they pull right out. I do have a nice long row of the white onions going, most I started from seed, bought some that were already started, those didn't do so well but of course are largest so far. Slow growers the onions. Quite a few beets going, tomatoes, we will see. In the plot I am in I have these wild tomatoes that grow like weeds, they produce what I would call large cherries. I let 4 of those grow, last year I think I got a bushel out of just one plant. Strawberries grew great, tasted great, they grow like weeds too, froze a bunch. Spinach turned out good, I'm not good at growing radishes, chard is growing great, probably cut that this weekend and freeze a bunch.

TO be honest I'm not sure exactly when to pull garlic, I was told by one that when the stem is flimsy near the bottom it's time, seeing different theories on youtube video's I'm watching.

A little late in the game but you should start pulling garlic (at least from my experiences with it) when it has mostly turned brown (I generally pickle most of my garlic to use at any given time)

rsk1963

Postby rsk1963 » Sat Jul 23, 2016

Anyone do anything with Goji berries (aka wolf berries)?

jareksdad

Postby jareksdad » Sun Jul 24, 2016

Just planted one last week that the wife bought.
That's about all I know about it lol
D

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Postby Recluse » Sun Jul 24, 2016

rsk1963 wrote: (I generally pickle most of my garlic to use at any given time)

Does the pickeling affect the flavor of the recipe that you use the garlic in?

rsk1963

Postby rsk1963 » Sun Jul 24, 2016

Recluse wrote:Does the pickeling affect the flavor of the recipe that you use the garlic in?

kind of, but i think it's better for chili's, meat sauces (to each their own of course).

I use some hungarian hotwax peppers and a bunch of their seeds, equal parts apple cider and white vinegars and a small tea spoon of horseradish (in each jar).

I actually like to eat these with a chunk of extra sharp cheddar

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Tue Jan 03, 2017

Took this picture today. January Okra?? Thats a first for me. These plants where seeded back in April, still putting out! :shock: Thats a ladybug on one of the little okras. Today I dug up and transplanted some baby tomato plants that i found in my backyard. Just from some old tomatoes that were tossed out last year and those seeds sprouted on their own :)
Forgot to add, we have had a couple of light freezes at night but i still have last years Speckled Butter Beans still growing too, another first. Kinda cool!

ImageImageImage

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Tue Jan 03, 2017

A picture of 2 "wild" tomato plants from December 27th. There were 3 but I stepped on the biggest about a month ago, now there are 2 ;)
Last year I found a wild tomato plant growing in my backyard. Turned out to be a red cherry type, very sweet, by mid summer I got tired of eating them and threw a bunch in the dirt hoping to get some sprouts. Today I put the bigger of these 2 in a little bigger pot but broke off a little of the bottom growth in the process :lol:
I'll probably give the smaller plant to a neighbor

ImageImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Tue Jan 03, 2017

Heres the ones i dug up and transplanted today. By the looks of them, i think they are the Romanian heirloom tomatoes that my friend in Bucharest sent a few seeds to me last spring.

ImageImageImage

lucky43113

Postby lucky43113 » Tue Jan 03, 2017

silverhead wrote:A picture of 2 "wild" tomato plants from December 27th. There were 3 but I stepped on the biggest about a month ago, now there are 2 ;)
Last year I found a wild tomato plant growing in my backyard. Turned out to be a red cherry type, very sweet, by mid summer I got tired of eating them and threw a bunch in the dirt hoping to get some sprouts. Today I put the bigger of these 2 in a little bigger pot but broke off a little of the bottom growth in the process :lol:
I'll probably give the smaller plant to a neighbor

i had a volunteer cherry tomato plant in my yard last year measured over 30ft long
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Image Image Image

wolvesdad

Postby wolvesdad » Wed Jan 04, 2017

I love indeterminate tomatoes!! They are the gift(in a good way) that keeps on giving.

Moving to Michigan, so have to learn (nearly) all anew how to garden. We had gotten Texas gardening down pretty good.
Do you STEEMIT yet? Get paid to Blog and chat: www.steemit.com/@em3
If you like YouTube: e=m3 Making Metal Mine for my take on Silver and coin investing, plus a little humor and random numi stuff
;) https://youtu.be/4qtWLWogfGU :thumbup:

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Postby Recluse » Sun Oct 01, 2017

Well my sweet potato crop was a big fail this year. Something ate most of them in the ground. A local old timer tells me he doesn't grow sweet potatoes anymore because voles eat them all. This is the first time that I have had this problem. After googeling voles and seeing what they look like I have probably seen them and thought that they were field mice.

agnostic
BS Supporter

Postby agnostic » Sun Oct 01, 2017

Recluse wrote:Well my sweet potato crop was a big fail this year. Something ate most of them in the ground. A local old timer tells me he doesn't grow sweet potatoes anymore because voles eat them all. This is the first time that I have had this problem. After googeling voles and seeing what they look like I have probably seen them and thought that they were field mice.

Voles are wicked! I had a couple of my nice young fruit trees girdled by voles. Nasty little
creatures.
“When the power of love overcomes the love of power
the world will know peace.” — Jimi Hendrix

BotanicusRex
Supporter

Postby BotanicusRex » Sun Oct 01, 2017

Recluse wrote:Well my sweet potato crop was a big fail this year. Something ate most of them in the ground. A local old timer tells me he doesn't grow sweet potatoes anymore because voles eat them all. This is the first time that I have had this problem. After googeling voles and seeing what they look like I have probably seen them and thought that they were field mice.

Isn't that what they are?
I have them also - they can be death to a garden real quick. Mine use mole tunnels plus their own to eat the roots of damn near everything. Up here on the tundra they tunnel through the snow to eat grass in the winter- lawn has bare stripes all over when the snow melts.
Neighbor once used a tracking powder poison that worked for him but it's evidently a restricted use chemical now.
"You have a choice between the natural stability of gold, and the honesty and intelligence of the members of government. Vote for Gold."........ George Bernard Shaw

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Fri Feb 01, 2019

oranges2.jpg
oranges2.jpg (641.14 KiB) Viewed 322 times

Just took this pic. That's just one branch of the tree. These navel oranges are 11 months old. The branches are sagging from the weight. I cant get the whole trees in the pic. Time for some fresh squeezed OJ
ImageImageImage

stumpdust
Gold Supporter

Postby stumpdust » Fri Feb 01, 2019

My Navel tree is loaded as well, gonna pick it today
Attachments
fruit11.jpg
fruit11.jpg (178.19 KiB) Viewed 312 times
fruit12.jpg
fruit12.jpg (159.79 KiB) Viewed 312 times

stumpdust
Gold Supporter

Postby stumpdust » Fri Feb 01, 2019

Avacados 2 different types
Attachments
fruit4.jpg
fruit4.jpg (93.86 KiB) Viewed 313 times
fruit9.jpg
fruit9.jpg (89.62 KiB) Viewed 313 times

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Fri Feb 01, 2019

stumpdust wrote:My Navel tree is loaded as well, gonna pick it today

Same here, pickin and grinning time :) Those blooms will be here soon, I have Mayhaw blooms already, even with the couple of freezes we've had
I see that you actually trim your tree! lol Mine is just growing wild, but its been doing that for about 25 yrs
Im amazed that size tree grew in a pot :thumbup:
Last edited by Purple and Gold on Fri Feb 01, 2019, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Return to “Burgers and Beers”