Any gardeners?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
NorthernStacker

Re: Any gardeners?

Postby NorthernStacker » Mon Aug 03, 2015

I plant "Music" variety, is a hardy garlic that likes cold weather, I am in Canada , I plant the bulbs in October , they over winter and start growing as the frost leaves the ground.
ImageImageImage

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Postby Recluse » Mon Aug 03, 2015

NorthernStacker wrote:I plant "Music" variety, is a hardy garlic that likes cold weather, I am in Canada , I plant the bulbs in October , they over winter and start growing as the frost leaves the ground.

Cool. How long do they store?
ImageImage

NorthernStacker

Postby NorthernStacker » Mon Aug 03, 2015

Well, last year I cured about 150 in Aug and was eating them till may and June this year although they were starting to sprout by then etc. I store them in a small side room that has no windows and no direct heat. Needs to be dark and cool and dry. Hang them up in old onion bags , works well. But the key is they need to be completely cured/dried or they can go moldy .

I dry them in the sun for as long as possible,maybe like a week then move them into my garage and hang them in bunches from the ceiling and leave the windows open for airflow, as long as its hot and dry with some airflow they will cure in about 3 to 4 weeks or less maybe. You will have some rainy days, I close the windows on really wets days and damp nights.
ImageImageImage

NorthernStacker

Postby NorthernStacker » Tue Sep 08, 2015

So i go out to get some food for dinner from my garden, pulled up just one Yukon Gold potato plant... a few nice lunkers :D

Last edited by NorthernStacker on Wed Sep 09, 2015, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

pitw
Gold Supporter

Postby pitw » Tue Sep 08, 2015

Cannot believe how well the spuds did this year with the drought. Our tomatoes are hanging like grapes too. You got good looking spuds right there.

NorthernStacker

Ya same here, I have about 100 plants so if they all produce like that one I will have potatoes all winter no problem.
ImageImageImage

pitw
Gold Supporter

I sprayed 30 acres for the huts last week and everyone says how their food is raised right.LOL I believe the wife said we have 400 hills to pick and she will make lefsa outta about a hundred of them.

NorthernStacker

pitw wrote:I sprayed 30 acres for the huts last week and everyone says how their food is raised right.LOL I believe the wife said we have 400 hills to pick and she will make lefsa outta about a hundred of them.

What is "lefsa"?

I had about 700 lbs of gold rush russets potatoes 2 years ago which was wayyyy to many for just me, so i cut back on the amount i plant now. I had enough left the next spring to supply my neighbors in seed and still a bunch for the compost pile.
ImageImageImage

pitw
Gold Supporter

NorthernStacker wrote:
pitw wrote:I sprayed 30 acres for the huts last week and everyone says how their food is raised right.LOL I believe the wife said we have 400 hills to pick and she will make lefsa outta about a hundred of them.

What is "lefsa"?

I had about 700 lbs of gold rush russets potatoes 2 years ago which was wayyyy to many for just me, so i cut back on the amount i plant now. I had enough left the next spring to supply my neighbors in seed and still a bunch for the compost pile.

No way I was gonna try finding the pictures to help tell the story so I quoted an old thread from a different forum to explain lefsa.

We don't have a holiday today but we are making holiday type food [for us]. Lefsa is a Norwegian dish and I'm sure you guy's/gal's have a similar type of food.
4 cup's riced potatoe's
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 cup fresh cream
2 cup's flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
Mix together until not sticky and is smooth like pastry dough. Roll out golf size ball's of dough until very thin. Cook on 400F griddle until brown spot's appear. Place in a pile under towel until cool until bagging. They must be done this way or they will dry out to a hard piece of leather.

We lather them with butter and place brown sugar on, then roll up and enjoy. [can't beat them straight off the griddle but are great later as well.
Lefsa house in Camrose sell's these for $9.50 a pound and they are not as good as our's.

Send e a PM and I will try to get you some this fall.

shinnosuke
Liberty Supporter

Postby shinnosuke » Tue Sep 08, 2015

Lefsa is a Norwegian tortilla. I eat those all the time in south Texas and Mexico.

NorthernStacker

Oh nice! I have tried different ways but always ended up with a "hash brown" type thingy lol, which were ok but eh , can only eat so much of those, I will definitely try this "Lefsa" :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

NorthernStacker

I sprayed 30 acres for the huts last week and everyone says how their food is raised right.

This is one reason why I grow my own potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic etc, I usually have enough to last all winter but this year my onion crop didn't fair so well, going to have to buy some this year, ugh.
ImageImageImage

NorthernStacker

Just checked my grape vines, looks like i will be making grape jelly tonight! My chickens really like these grapes as well it turns out. :P

ImageImageImage

NorthernStacker

Hmmm for some reason my pictures are 1/3 cut off on the right side.
ImageImageImage

DRP270
Site Admin

Postby DRP270 » Tue Sep 08, 2015

NorthernStacker wrote:Hmmm for some reason my pictures are 1/3 cut off on the right side.

Use fitimg instead of img. I edited your post above so you can look at it to see how easy it is to use fitimg if you know img.
ImageImageImage

NorthernStacker

Ahhh, ok thanks!
ImageImageImage

pitw
Gold Supporter

Postby pitw » Wed Sep 09, 2015

Wife made grape jelly with 1 1/2 quarts of juice she got from hers too. Yes them dang birds like to get them before they become raisins. Great looking chickens.

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Wed Sep 09, 2015

NorthernStacker wrote:So i go out to get some food for dinner from my garden, pulled up just one Yukon Gold potato plant... a few nice lunkers :D

Nice, I must've harvested 100lbs of those babies this year. I used organic compost in my garden this year and it made a HUGE difference. Constantly hilling them also helps. The best part is they stay good for a long time if stored properly.

I cut my first broccoli last night too. This heat wave has everything growing again. Time to plant the garlic and other fall crops like peas and lettuce.
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

NorthernStacker

Postby NorthernStacker » Wed Sep 09, 2015

pitw wrote:Wife made grape jelly with 1 1/2 quarts of juice she got from hers too. Yes them dang birds like to get them before they become raisins. Great looking chickens.

Ya we call them "Black Cornish" but they were known as Indian Game hens.
Nice birds, but are very nervous bid which is a good thing, as they wont just sit around and be attacked by a hawk etc, they bolt. I have heard that the Rooster can kill a fox, dont know if thats true or not... :shock:

Indian Game were first imported into the U.S. in 1877 and first standardised there in 1893 as ‘Cornish’ since breeders were keen to promote them as table birds and the Indian Game name was associated with cock-fighting. Smaller build White Cornish were created in the U.S. (unrelated to the original Cornish) and were then standardised in the U.S. in 1898.

Since the mid 1800’s, they have not been used for cock-fighting (this was banned in the U.K. in 1849) but Indian Game have been used extensively for creating birds for the table due to their broad breasted build, that provides a bird with a large proportion of breast meat. Most commercial broilers in the U.K. have originally come from Indian Game cocks crossed with Dorking or White Rock hens.

https://poultrykeeper.com/chicken-breeds/indian-game/
ImageImageImage

pitw
Gold Supporter

Postby pitw » Wed Sep 09, 2015

Do you sell eggs that be fertilized? I'm thinking I mite like to try them.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”