coin star finds...

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Zugzwang

Re: coin star finds...

Postby Zugzwang » Sat Sep 22, 2018

Not a find, but a rant...

I went to my local credit union with my wife and her mother. While they were at the teller desk I looked around and saw a Dad with a young daughter and a piggy bank. They went to a coin counting machine, and gutted the pig. Afterwards, I wandered over and saw the credit union takes 5% off the top! :thumbdown: Stealing money from a kid :twisted:

end rant

Thank you, I feel better...
Image Image Image

If U.S. Dollars were miles, the U.S. national debt could be expressed in light years -- over 3 now, and counting...

lucky43113

Postby lucky43113 » Sat Sep 22, 2018

Zugzwang wrote:Not a find, but a rant...

I went to my local credit union with my wife and her mother. While they were at the teller desk I looked around and saw a Dad with a young daughter and a piggy bank. They went to a coin counting machine, and gutted the pig. Afterwards, I wandered over and saw the credit union takes 5% off the top! :thumbdown: Stealing money from a kid :twisted:

end rant

Thank you, I feel better...

They all do that if you are not a member my bank is 6% for non members still better than coin stars 10 cents on the dollar
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Image Image Image

Mother lode

Postby Mother lode » Sat Sep 22, 2018

Hummmmm. Instead of letting the machine do the work. Maybe the father should have taught the little one to actually count the coins. I see so many younger generation kids working a cash register that can’t even figure out the proper return change unless it’s displayed on a screen. Heaven forbid if they had to actually figure it out in there little minds. :shock:
ImageImageImage

lucky43113

Mother lode wrote:Hummmmm. Instead of letting the machine do the work. Maybe the father should have taught the little one to actually count the coins. I see so many younger generation kids working a cash register that can’t even figure out the proper return change unless it’s displayed on a screen. Heaven forbid if they had to actually figure it out in there little minds. :shock:

Most banks require you to use the machine no rolls
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Image Image Image

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Sat Sep 22, 2018

I found 4 pennies, gummed together into 2 blobs and some kind of small silver colored foreign coin. I thought it was a dime, the only reason that I reached in to grab them, but skunked again..
ImageImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Sat Sep 22, 2018

Dont understand why the people using the machine dont glance down at the coin return? its right there
ImageImageImage

lucky43113

Purple and Gold wrote:Dont understand why the people using the machine dont glance down at the coin return? its right there

They do not care many think silver is worthless i know a guy who bragged about taking foreign coins to the bank and getting American money in return after talking to him what he took to the bank was 1000 mercury dimes.

Image Image Image

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Sat Sep 22, 2018

lucky43113 wrote:
Purple and Gold wrote:Dont understand why the people using the machine dont glance down at the coin return? its right there

They do not care many think silver is worthless i know a guy who bragged about taking foreign coins to the bank and getting American money in return after talking to him what he took to the bank was 1000 mercury dimes.

wow
ImageImageImage

recyclersteve

Postby recyclersteve » Sat Sep 22, 2018

Didn't know you had a Coinstar thread over here like they do on RC.

I only post when I find something unusual, not every single penny I find. Yesterday I went to a local CS machine that I've had really good luck at since going there first about a year ago. I got 45 cents, which is ok (no good dates), but...

Also found a late date Canadian dime
Also found 4 Swiss francs plus 70 rappen (20 coins total)- and I know where I can sell them.

It's funny but the 5 rappen coins actually look like they could be gold. They absolutely are not, but I thought about keeping a few around the house as decoys in case I ever got robbed in the middle of the night or was burlarized when I am gone. The good stuff is stored offsite, but my place has a fair amount of cheap stuff that looks expensive.

Also, so far this year I have found six silver dimes, all from Coinstar machines. Two were found on consecutive days at the end of August. Also, in January I had about a 5-day stretch where I found 3 silver dimes.

Rappen happens! :)

recyclersteve

Postby recyclersteve » Sat Sep 22, 2018

lucky43113 wrote:

I was that guy. Are those dimes worth something? :)

Turtle
Silver Supporter

Postby Turtle » Fri Sep 28, 2018

I found a foreign, I think Caribbean, coin a little while ago on the countertop of the machine. I need to get in the habit of looking more. Im just happy the new one at the grocery store I go to now gives out amazon codes because the Walmart ones dont!
:turtle:

grantwoodisgold
Gold Supporter

Postby grantwoodisgold » Wed Oct 10, 2018

Randall's (same as Tom Thumb and I believe Safeway)

22 dirty pennies
2 clad dimes
1 nickle
2 euro 5 cent coins
1 game token
:thumbup:
"SAUSAGE FLAVORED MEAT PELLETS, GRADE D BUT EDIBLE"
"Better 1 or 2 years early than 1 day late"

Return to “Burgers and Beers”