coin star finds...

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Re: coin star finds...

Postby bigjohn » Mon Aug 06, 2018

Nice!
I got my first 1943 steel cent out of the reject bin last Friday
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

chris6084

Postby chris6084 » Wed Aug 08, 2018

Found a whole coffee mug full of pennies on the coinstar machine. The machine had an 'out of order' sign taped to it. Whoever brought in the pennies must not have wanted to bring them back home after seeing the sign, so they just left it behind.

escher

Postby escher » Thu Aug 09, 2018

They don't have these things in Europe, so I had to look them up. The notion of charging like 9% commission for counting coins seems exorbitant! And going by this thread, the machines don't even seem to work - why do they keep rejecting legal tender silver coins?

lucky43113

Postby lucky43113 » Thu Aug 09, 2018

escher wrote:They don't have these things in Europe, so I had to look them up. The notion of charging like 9% commission for counting coins seems exorbitant! And going by this thread, the machines don't even seem to work - why do they keep rejecting legal tender silver coins?

silver coins have a different weight to them
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Image Image Image

GtiKyle

Postby GtiKyle » Thu Aug 09, 2018

I've checked a few, never have anything in them. Not sure if I'm patient enough to keep looking. I bet my area is well scoured.

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Thu Aug 09, 2018

escher wrote:They don't have these things in Europe, so I had to look them up. The notion of charging like 9% commission for counting coins seems exorbitant! And going by this thread, the machines don't even seem to work - why do they keep rejecting legal tender silver coins?

Some people are willing to pay for the convenience i guess. Its quicker and easier than having to roll all those coins.
Some banks have coin counters inside, or use to have.
I think some coin machines will separate the silver from the non silver and store them inside the machine.
ImageImageImage

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Thu Aug 09, 2018

Purple and Gold wrote:

Some people are willing to pay for the convenience i guess. Its quicker and easier than having to roll all those coins.
I think some coin machines will separate the silver from the non silver and store them inside the machine.

Also, some machines are free to use if you agree to get paid in gift cards, which is often a win-win. As for rolling up coins, I can see someone paying $9 to dump a $100 worth of pennies. Without a counter, it would take one hours to roll them up, not worth the $9 payout

ImageImage Image

lucky43113

bigjohn wrote:
Purple and Gold wrote:

Also, some machines are free to use if you agree to get paid in gift cards, which is often a win-win. As for rolling up coins, I can see someone paying $9 to dump a $100 worth of pennies. Without a counter, it would take one hours to roll them up, not worth the $9 payout

most banks in my area will not take rolled coins and have a coin counter. They were ripped off putting dimes on the end of penny rolls
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Image Image Image

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

GtiKyle wrote:I've checked a few, never have anything in them. Not sure if I'm patient enough to keep looking. I bet my area is well scoured.

I walk by the coinstar every time I am in the store. Having little kids means I am at the store at least every other day, sometimes every day. That means no less than 200 times per year that I check the coinstar. Out of 200+ times, I find something, maybe 10 times

ImageImage Image

escher

lucky43113 wrote:most banks in my area will not take rolled coins and have a coin counter. They were ripped off putting dimes on the end of penny rolls

Yeah, I couldn't imagine ever accepting money I couldn't inspect. It's weird though; if I were designing a coin counter machine, I would be filtering the silver out inside the machine and stockpiling it!

lucky43113

escher wrote:
lucky43113 wrote:most banks in my area will not take rolled coins and have a coin counter. They were ripped off putting dimes on the end of penny rolls

Yeah, I couldn't imagine ever accepting money I couldn't inspect. It's weird though; if I were designing a coin counter machine, I would be filtering the silver out inside the machine and stockpiling it!

my local bank did that filtered out the silver

Image Image Image

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

escher wrote:

Stealing the coin altogether or having some kind of an elaborate design, replacing the silver coin with clad and only stealing silver value from unsuspecting customers? Or accepting silver at face value?

ImageImage Image

lucky43113

bigjohn wrote:
escher wrote:

Stealing the coin altogether or having some kind of an elaborate design, replacing the silver coin with clad and only stealing silver value from unsuspecting customers? Or accepting silver at face value?

no silver the bank got several rolls of pennies in dime wrappers only had a dime on each end

Image Image Image

escher

bigjohn wrote:
escher wrote:

Face value of course. It was under those conditions that the counterparty offered it to be changed into paper bills, right?

lucky43113

escher wrote:
bigjohn wrote:
escher wrote:

Face value of course. It was under those conditions that the counterparty offered it to be changed into paper bills, right?

what do you mean.

Image Image Image

lucky43113

escher wrote:
bigjohn wrote:
escher wrote:

i was talking getting 5 dollars for a 50 cent roll of pennies thats theft

Image Image Image

escher

Postby escher » Fri Aug 10, 2018

lucky43113 wrote:i was talking getting 5 dollars for a 50 cent roll of pennies thats theft

No; the person offers coins in exchange for bills less commission. If some of the coins are silver, it makes sense to accept them at face value and separate them for sale later, rather than reject them.

grantwoodisgold
Gold Supporter

Postby grantwoodisgold » Thu Sep 20, 2018

4 clad dimes from the kroger coinstar last night :thumbup:

I saw the 4 dimes in the tray and was thinking "score" then i saw they were clad, still, free money 8-)
"SAUSAGE FLAVORED MEAT PELLETS, GRADE D BUT EDIBLE"
"Better 1 or 2 years early than 1 day late"

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Thu Sep 20, 2018

Beats my last "score", i saw a full tray and reached in to scoop it out. It was all nasty pennies and foreign coins, unfortunately they were all cover in some funky gunk chemicals., looked like dried cat puke. I put them on the in store Starbucks counter and went and got hand sanitizer.
ImageImageImage

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Fri Sep 21, 2018

coin star find at Kroger: A 1976 Canada .25 cent, eh.
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

Return to “Burgers and Beers”