Diet and Exercise thread

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
BOGGER

Re: Diet and Exercise thread

Postby BOGGER » Tue Jul 05, 2011

Double3
Gold Supporter

Postby Double3 » Wed Jul 06, 2011

The ab wheel is great.

You would be surprised that pullups are one of the best core movements.

I'm really digging the kettlebell. I have the adjustable one from Ironmaster along with their dumbbells.

BOGGER

Postby BOGGER » Fri Jul 08, 2011

Pull ups are one of my favorite exercises, they do wonders on your LAts.

deenz
Silver Supporter

Postby deenz » Sun Jul 16, 2017

Bumping this old thing.
I wanted a health and fitness thread for those of us who enjoy working out, eating healthy, or for those who like to make fun of us who do those things, and I found this one.
Anyways, I play soccer- three seasons a year in an open adult league- my teams stink (not sure how we finished 2nd in Division 3 out of 7- 10 teams each division), but I enjoy it. I am a short distance runner in my spare time- I prefer 8ks and have no need to do a half or full marathon. I'm trying to boost my avg pace with intervals and some tempo running. That stuff sucks, but I want to get faster, not just stay in shape.

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Sun Jul 16, 2017

I wish I had more time and enough drive to exercise more. My biggest accomplishment was completing the STP a couple years ago (204 mile race from Seattle to Portland). In the 6 months leading up to it, I put almost 3,000 miles on my bike training for it. Probably the best I felt physically. Haven't done anything since except some hiking
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

cmiller17363

Postby cmiller17363 » Mon Jul 17, 2017

Might as well throw my stuff out here. I don't lift but I do run. Last July I did a half marathon, then a 10 mile run in October. As it often goes, my exercise dropped off a cliff after this and recently I got motivated to get back at it. Currently running ~3.5 miles several times a week. My goal is to run a marathon.
Mapmyrun is a great app for logging and tracking exercise. hiking, mountain biking, running, road cycling and more. It is fairly accurate (GPS) and free.
Running has been a wonderful education in patience and perseverance. Good traits to hone for PM stacking!
ImageImageImage

PeacePeople

Postby PeacePeople » Mon Jul 17, 2017

I've been loosely paying attention to the weight loss thread on RC and want to hand some props to Rodebaugh and Beauandaeros for their recent subtractions of poundage...keep up the good work...as an aside, since I saw that several months ago I decided to start eating better and getting more regular exercise and since Feb went from about 235 down to 205. I didn't really believe it as I have a crappy bathroom scale, but stepped on a scale at a rehab clinic and dammed if this POS scale isn't correct. Making it down to 180 might require a bit more motivation...but we'll see
ImageImageImage

iron-pyrite
Zombie Apocalypse Supporter

Postby iron-pyrite » Mon Jul 17, 2017

Good topic. I have also been trying to get back into shape. Only losing about a pound a week right now but not doing any fad diet. Goal is to be able to run 5-6 miles again. But am a bit to heavy to get good distance right now. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll start to jog.
ImageImageImage

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Postby Recluse » Mon Jul 17, 2017

Last November my wife asked me if I would do a crossfit class with her. I knew she really wanted to do it but she is shy and would not go alone. I had no idea what I was in for! I was definitely humbled and had to keep telling myself that it is all about improving myself, not about keeping up with the others. I have lost 25lb and now just under 200lb for the first time in over 15 years. I still dread going to the class but am always glad that I did after.

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Mon Jul 17, 2017

There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

deenz
Silver Supporter

Postby deenz » Mon Jul 17, 2017

Some great weight loss going on. :clap: That will help reduce the risk of everything from diabetes to heart problems. I tried a ballet class with my wife one time.... I'd try almost anything else because that made me sore in places I didn't know could get sore.
Everyone has goals, from weight to fitness. I'd like to run a sub 30:00 8k next year. I'm under 35:00 now (like 6:50ish pace), but that's a lot of time to cut, and I'm not getting any younger.
I'm running my next race in October- I'm still debating between the Raleigh Oktoberfest 8k or the Bull City Race Fest 8k. I'm aiming for a sub 33:00 time at either one of those. The kids fall school, soccer, and other activity calendars need to come out first. I do know that I'm running a Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving. This will mark 3 straight years my wife will run with me- last year we did Raleigh's 8k and I pushed two of my three kids in the jogging stroller. Downtown Raleigh has some hills!

everything

Postby everything » Wed Jul 19, 2017

I ran 4 10k's last year, this year only a 5k so far, I'm no rock star, I used to smoke, drink, grill out, and eat whatever I wanted. Into my 40's that all changed. I'm a bit worried about the impact running has on my knees, ankles, and hips. Some people I know who were really into running are now into swimming. I have no weight to lose, I have more of an issue keeping weight on. I have some kind of strange health issue where it hurts to eat so I do some fasting as well. I wear a fitbit and do 10 thousand steps a day, I still do some running but it's in the form of HIIT. I'm one of the few people I know who loves to get out in the hot sun and sweat, sweat hard, work hard, skip meals, and I feel better.

str8flexed

Postby str8flexed » Wed Jul 19, 2017

I've actually gone the opposite direction. In 2003 I was 158lbs standing at 6'7", today I am 270lbs. Lots of hard work through the years but I'm still not where I want to be. I figure I need to be 300+ to look like I want.

Walkabout

Postby Walkabout » Sat Jul 22, 2017

I am 28 years old 6'3" 180 pounds. I do yoga, rock climb, do exercises using gravity and my own body weight like climbing rope and pull up bars, and lift a little bit of weights. I also teach yoga and go for a hard bike ride at least once a week.

I allow yoga and the right foods and the right amount of foods instead of supplements to give me stamina and concentration. I have found that sometimes eating LESS food and food that is easy to digest (not meat, but I do eat meat) can actually boost vitality instead of trying to eat tons of calories and lots of protien all the time.

Preludedude

Postby Preludedude » Sun Jul 23, 2017

"Do you or anyone in your family have a history of mental illness?"

I have an uncle who does yoga....

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Sun Jul 23, 2017

Preludedude wrote:"Do you or anyone in your family have a history of mental illness?"

I have an uncle who does yoga....

I feel the burn.... :clap:

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Sun Jul 23, 2017

str8flexed wrote:I've actually gone the opposite direction. In 2003 I was 158lbs standing at 6'7", today I am 270lbs. Lots of hard work through the years but I'm still not where I want to be. I figure I need to be 300+ to look like I want.

6'7 @ 270lbs... Good job bulking.

Since Dec I went from 221 lbs to 185/6 lbs. Doing Intermittent Fasting (IF), watching what i eat, triathlons just did an olympic triathlon in June. I have a 1/2 marathon coming up in Oct and a bit of strength training, 1 hr a day 5 days a week. The biggest changer for me, was carb cycling and walking on a treadmill @ 11% grade, 3-3.5 for upto 60 min.

deenz
Silver Supporter

Postby deenz » Fri Feb 09, 2018

Bumping this thread.
Anyone have any new bests (times, weights), weight losses, gains? New goals? Now that we're into February, the "New Year's Resolution" folks are starting to leave the gyms and get off the paths. Anyone make a resolution and stick with it so far?

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Fri Feb 09, 2018

For the last week I've been doing nothing but meat and greens. I don't think I've actually lost any weight, but I've noticed a big difference in my energy level. I'm sleeping better and I haven't felt like I need a nap after work.

The problem I have is that I'm starting to get tired of the same old stuff. I'm not a great cook and I tend to do the same thing over and over again, (eggs for breakfast, chicken caesar for lunch, pork chop for dinner) I need something that has easy meals to give me ideas. I went to the local bookstore to look for a cookbook, but was quickly overwhelmed by selection paralysis. Anyone know of a book or website that has low/no-carb stuff? Anyone else doing this type of diet?
*** LOOKING FOR YPS #18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Fri Feb 09, 2018

One of our own, str8flexed with http://killitwithiron.com , is coaching me through a weight loss/diet/exercise/supplements program. I’ve lost 15 lb so far this year 8-)
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

Return to “Burgers and Beers”