First Trip to Mexico. Any Advice?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
jcz1

Re: First Trip to Mexico. Any Advice?

Postby jcz1 » Sun Jul 15, 2018

TallStack wrote:The first year, my wife and I booked a hotel, ate out at restaurants and rented a car. I do not recommend that at all. Everyone will try to scam you. The gas station alone had 4-5 scams working at the same time and we got snagged by one. Long list, no time here. Just don't venture off on your own unless you're from an inner-city of the U.S. and you'll still lose, they have very good scams there. Here, it's a gun in your face. There, they have skill.

For years 2 through 8 we stayed at all-inclusive resorts in Cancun. All were rated 4.4 or higher on Expedia. All excursions, those mentioned already or any of the three big water parks (highly recommend Xel-ha) were all booked via Expeida or Best Day Travel. Roundtrip (hotel/airport), private van was also booked via Expedia (although taxis are generally fine). Cancun is a deal, pricing for what you get is unreal.

Maybe it's just me, but this sounds more like a cruise, except it's stationary with an awesome beach. What's the point of travelling if you end up basically stuck in the small area you flew to?

You're not really seeing the world or anything, you're seeing the resort. Go somewhere that's safe to explore, move around, enjoy many different sights and sounds!

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Mon Jul 16, 2018

I went to St Thomas & St Croix 6 yrs ago and would recommend both.
Image ImageImage

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Mon Jul 16, 2018

TallStack wrote:And this is Ziva, so horrible! Dolphins on site. (Although, swimming with the dolphins is extra.)

That’s gorgeous! We looked at Ziva but it’s a little pricey for me at $500 per night. I think we will end up a couple miles further south on the peninsula, closer to the aquarium, shopping, etc. Considering The Westin Lagunamar Ocean Resort Villas, which isn’t all inclusive but I figured we’d be out most of the time so it would be a waste
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Mon Jul 16, 2018

Ive never been there but I hear the Baja and Cabo San Lucas are beautiful. Im going to make it there someday :)
ImageImageImage

TallStack

Postby TallStack » Mon Jul 16, 2018

jcz1 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but this sounds more like a cruise, except it's stationary with an awesome beach. What's the point of travelling if you end up basically stuck in the small area you flew to?

I may have not been clear, but you can and should go to Chichen Itza, Talum, Xel-Ha, Xcaret, Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, etc. Just do it through a credible excursion group like Expedia or Best Day Travel. Safe with hotel pickup and drop off.

Plus the hotel is so big and has so many activities (water sports like sea kayak and stand-up paddle boards, yoga, fitness classes, pool volleyball, volleyball, ping pong, a game room with a pool table, several swimming pools, evening entertainment, etc.) that you really don't feel "trapped or stuck". Multiple eating options. t's really paradise. We've been on cruises, they have been enjoyable, Cancun is much better generally.

Since it is a vacation, we do like to chill in paradise for about 5 of the 7 days and we mix in one or two excursions.

Really, if you haven't tried it, it may be easy to criticize since Mexico is bashed so frequently in the press and movies, but the people are warm and friendly and reside in a place with incredible natural resources.

Regarding pricing, the rates fluctuate a lot, so you have to check back often and be ready to book when you see a good rate. Regarding a non all-inclusive, to us, it's not worth it. Trying to coordinate the family or group for each meal or whenever some is hungry or thirsty, then having to be concerned about the pricing, takes away from the overall vacation mood and enjoyment. It's really liberating for everyone to be at an all-inclusive. Sure, on excursion days you miss a meal or two that you've "paid for" -- it's a small price to pay for being fully on vacation.

Come on, you'll buy their gold, but not visit! These are the people that make one of the most beautiful gold pieces that this group collects, the 20 pesos gold coin!
Attachments
27736_Rev.jpg
27736_Rev.jpg (98.78 KiB) Viewed 236 times

TallStack

A few more Ziva pix...name one place in the U.S. that's close...
Attachments
IMG_7353.jpg
IMG_7353.jpg (92.65 KiB) Viewed 232 times
IMG_7321.jpg
IMG_7321.jpg (82.18 KiB) Viewed 232 times
IMG_7317.jpg
IMG_7317.jpg (215.03 KiB) Viewed 232 times

TallStack

And a couple more...
Attachments
IMG_7332.jpg
IMG_7332.jpg (117.54 KiB) Viewed 232 times
IMG_7361.jpg
IMG_7361.jpg (92.59 KiB) Viewed 232 times

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Postby Recluse » Mon Jul 16, 2018

Purple and Gold wrote:Ive never been there but I hear the Baja and Cabo San Lucas are beautiful. Im going to make it there someday :)

We are going to Cabo San Lucas in a few weeks for our 30th anniversary.
ImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Mon Jul 16, 2018

Recluse wrote:
Purple and Gold wrote:Ive never been there but I hear the Baja and Cabo San Lucas are beautiful. Im going to make it there someday :)

We are going to Cabo San Lucas in a few weeks for our 30th anniversary.

30th! Congratulations :clap:
ImageImageImage

7aw2tr4
Supporter

Postby 7aw2tr4 » Mon Jul 16, 2018

Be careful and have a great time.....according to the US State Dept travel warnings; Quinto Roo State (where Cancun is, only has a Level 2 : Exercise increase caution due to crime ) status : )
ImageImage

Return to “Burgers and Beers”