That "other" hobby of mine/yours.

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Rodebaugh
Jester

Re: That "other" hobby of mine/yours.

Postby Rodebaugh » Wed Sep 05, 2018

George, you are a legend with that machine. I'd love to watch you work.

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Thu Sep 06, 2018

recyclersteve wrote:Another hobby: Scrapping. I like finding stuff that others throw away and reusing it, giving it to Goodwill, or just selling it for scrap. It is not a hobby where it is easy to make money, but keeping stuff from hitting the landfill gives me a real sense of satisfaction.

Nice. There are a couple of guys around here who will come to your house and pickup almost anything that people dont want, some of it is still working or in decent shape, even cars.. Its amazing how much stuff people give away or have junk laying around to get rid of.
ImageImageImage

lucky43113

Postby lucky43113 » Thu Sep 06, 2018

Some of my uranium glass

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Image Image Image

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Thu Sep 06, 2018

Wow, nice collection
ImageImageImage

lucky43113

Postby lucky43113 » Thu Sep 06, 2018

Purple and Gold wrote:Wow, nice collection

thats a small part of it I have a lot of clear glass that glows green too
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.---Benjamin Franklin

Image Image Image

xelint
Shogun Supporter

Postby xelint » Thu Sep 06, 2018

One of my other hobbies is pearls. I got hooked as a kid by reading the The Pearl by John Steinbeck.

Friend of mine's family owns a pearl farm on the atol of Ahe and invited me out. Got to dive the lines and harvest and grade pearls. My friends dad is in the picture and they call him The Pirate as he leads the life....

Get refunds on things you already purchased when the price changes :wave:

https://earny.app.link/Gm3jMgbK7P

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Thu Sep 06, 2018

Tractor Man wrote:
BarsandStars wrote:Aside from Selling coins, fishing and hunting, my real passion is digging up pieces of history. Whether it's in the dirt or in the surf, I love to find old coins, jewelry and relics with my metal detector.
We have property in the Catskills that was owned by a man who fought in the war of 1812 and was buried across the road in an empty field. While detecting the property one day, I dug a coat button from a War of 1812 Artillery uniform :shock: That's one of my favorite finds. Another cool old military find was from the town I lived a good portion of my life in here in CT. It dates to the 1600's and had a Militia group that defended the town. That group trained in a certain gigantic field that I researched and detected. I found a uniform pin that was traced back to that militia group.

Here's a tiny sample. I've got bins full of old relics, silver coins, thousands of wheat cents, etc. Among this handful are: My oldest coin so far (1730 King George II Half Penny), my oldest silver (1782 Spanish Real), 1787 Connecticut Copper, 1797, 1818, 1848 US Large Cents, 1865 2 Cent Piece, 1849 Seated Liberty Half Dime, 1823/22 Capped Bust Dime, William McKinley and Herbert Hoover Campaign tokens

Very cool! You have found some amazing stuff! I would love to have a sterling wine cup like your's, you didn't dig that up did you?

Nope, my grandfather gave that to my grandmother for their 25th wedding anniversary back in the 50's. Somehow I ended up with it so I put it in the display case.
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Fri Sep 07, 2018

xelint wrote:One of my other hobbies is pearls. I got hooked as a kid by reading the The Pearl by John Steinbeck.

Friend of mine's family owns a pearl farm on the atol of Ahe and invited me out. Got to dive the lines and harvest and grade pearls. My friends dad is in the picture and they call him The Pirate as he leads the life....

argghhh matey..

wjruth
Turtle Supporter

Postby wjruth » Fri Sep 07, 2018

I just made a knife from an old lawnmower blade.
https://imgur.com/a/UuJaZcS

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Fri Sep 07, 2018

wjruth wrote:I just made a knife from an old lawnmower blade.

inspired by forged? or is this something you normally do? sweet knife... hopefully premiums get cut up soon..

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Fri Sep 07, 2018

That's pretty cool. Reminds me of the Final Fantasy 7 Buster sword. (apologies if you're not a video game nerd)
*** LOOKING FOR YPS #17 & 18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

AndeanCat

Postby AndeanCat » Fri Sep 07, 2018

rktect wrote:I don't want to make this about just MY other hobby. I will start it off as a post of my other hobbies/collections but not really for discussion. Looking to see what else everyone else has as a hobby or collection. What has you under its spell.

So, mine are.

Coins, specifically liberty nickels though. Trying for an MS64 or better set. Halfway there.
Wine. 500 bottles in the cellar. About 850 drunk and gone. Love to read up on regions and visit.
Olympic pins. I went to the 76 olympics at 8 years of age and the bug got me.

They have a lot of Olympic pins at the Long Beach Coin Show this year. I know a lot of the beach volleyball players that won medals in the Olympics for the USA.
ImageImage

MileHighSilver
Turtle Supporter

Postby MileHighSilver » Fri Sep 07, 2018

I have 3 other interest, not necessarily in this order:

1, Golf
2, Golf
3, Golf

wjruth
Turtle Supporter

Postby wjruth » Fri Sep 07, 2018

silverpv wrote:

inspired by forged? or is this something you normally do? sweet knife... hopefully premiums get cut up soon..

I do watch Forged in Fire... definitely gives me ideas.

smackvay
Gold Supporter

Postby smackvay » Fri Sep 07, 2018

Just finished putting together a 468 cubic inch big block chevy. Block is decked and the heads are shaved cut in 2.19 oversized valves in the heads. Building motors is probably the best way to relieve stress.

Mike
Help support bullionstacker by becoming a supporting member!!!
pm me for details or click on the support Bullionstacker button to the left
WVU Fan, just ask and I will tell you!!!!!

Venturous625

Postby Venturous625 » Thu Oct 18, 2018

Astrophotography is one of my big hobbies. I also collect comic books, mainly golden and silver age.

Silver Art

Postby Silver Art » Thu Oct 18, 2018

My "other" hobby of mine is reading/collecting comic books. I mainly collect Marvel comics and my favorite superhero is Spider-Man.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet. :)

everything

Postby everything » Mon Oct 22, 2018

Collecting thoughts, and showing kindness, dreaming. Contending with the inner child, or taming the beast, probably both. Risk. Well, ok.. I'm a bit into brass anything because an easier thing to collect and affordable. I also have a two box candle collection, a rock box, just pieces from places I've been. Old tools, fixing, and rigging, swearing. Certain yoga positions, and physical therapy. I scrap too, and got into iron for the first time this year, I try not, it's dirty, dusty, and should be avoided. Gardening, wellness, music.

Mother lode

Postby Mother lode » Mon Oct 22, 2018

I really enjoy restoring old motocross motorcycles. Especially the ones we had as kids. My latest is my avatar. 1974 Honda mr50. Honda made this little screamer two years. 1974-1975. This one sits in my great room. Brought this one home in a couple of boxes. God bless my wife. She just rolls her eyes and smiles when I bring these basket cases home. :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Mon Oct 22, 2018

Mother lode wrote:I really enjoy restoring old motocross motorcycles. Especially the ones we had as kids. My latest is my avatar. 1974 Honda mr50. Honda made this little screamer two years. 1974-1975. This one sits in my great room. Brought this one home in a couple of boxes. God bless my wife. She just rolls her eyes and smiles when I bring these basket cases home. :thumbup:

Nice hobby there :thumbup: Love those old motocross bikes, brings back lots of memories. Two buddies and me started with early 70's Honda 50's, a QA 50 and a CB 50. Use to ride double with them every where until i got my Honda CB 100 :)
ImageImageImage

Return to “Burgers and Beers”