My first business venture

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Re: My first business venture

Postby BarsandStars » Thu Oct 19, 2017

My first thought when viewing your website is " I need more exercise"
Lots of excellent advise already posted in here. I would only add that if you make sure to focus on quality products, I think that would also help you in the long run. Not to sound like an old man, but the quality of everything has gone to crap over the past 10 yrs or so. (clothing especially) I compare new clothes to stuff I've had for a while that I keep for doing yard work and such. It's amazing to compare the quality of the older clothes to newer. Clothes now are super thin and fall apart way too fast. If you build a reputation for quality products, people will come back. Seems we've turned into a throw away society. Personally I'd rather pay more for quality that lasts.
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Thu Oct 19, 2017

Unfortunately USA has lost the def of freedom of speech. Imagine your mom or gramma seeing this shirt.
(but some moms and grammas would prob wear one?)
It's offensive to some, even though it's just a word on a shirt. I hear it enough, don't care for reading it.
My .02
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

str8flexed

Postby str8flexed » Thu Oct 19, 2017

BarsandStars wrote:My first thought when viewing your website is " I need more exercise"
Lots of excellent advise already posted in here. I would only add that if you make sure to focus on quality products, I think that would also help you in the long run. Not to sound like an old man, but the quality of everything has gone to crap over the past 10 yrs or so. (clothing especially) I compare new clothes to stuff I've had for a while that I keep for doing yard work and such. It's amazing to compare the quality of the older clothes to newer. Clothes now are super thin and fall apart way too fast. If you build a reputation for quality products, people will come back. Seems we've turned into a throw away society. Personally I'd rather pay more for quality that lasts.

These are definitely high quality shirts. I would never associate my name or brand with crappy quality. Plus there are a ton of different types of shirts you can order these in, not just T-shirt’s.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Thu Oct 19, 2017

I'll 2nd the comments on the F-word t-shirt. I closed the page as soon as I saw it. I'm no prude and I use the word all the time. But when I see it plastered on a website, I know I'm at the wrong place and leave immediately. I'm sure others feel different.

Silvervein
Turtle Supporter

Postby Silvervein » Thu Oct 19, 2017

I have worked in the apparel industry for over 20 years in various IT and business positions so I know a little something about this business.
    If you are going to treat it as a hobby then continue what you are doing.

If you are serious you need to ramp up your site and focus on your product, your lifestyle can be a page of the site such as a "Who we Are/What We Believe in" page to explain your mantra which you already have. Leave the pics of yourself there and your product on the front page.

As others have mentioned, why the redirect for the shop? This is amateur. Sell my Tees is not your business so don't advertise for them.

Get a tax ID an order from a wholesaler and create your own screen prints. If you don't know how, learn. It is quite easy and you get to create the item yourself and can ensure quality control.

You must have high quality pictures of your product that can be zoom-able for detail.

Are you doing your own screen printing? Cost savings can be significant...

Get your site reviewed by legal, there may be things such as privacy laws that you need to have when collecting customer's information.

Don't forget your back end, CC processing, security, picture hosting, etc.

Check out this site for tips and you may want to contact them to see who admins their website.

https://www.ironville.com/
Very cool site that is in the same business as you but see the focus.

I understand website hosting and design is not cheap and gets more expensive the more bandwidth you use so shop around until your business can support it.

You got a long way to go but if you have the right attitude and listen to others advice you can shorten the learning experience. I wish you luck!
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul; wisdom is better than silver or gold."
- Bob Marley

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Thu Oct 19, 2017

I took a look at the site and I would echo a lot of what's been said about making product the focus and not using a POS (that's point of sale) redirect. Everything silvervein said is gold. If you're going to go the store route, I would include the addition of a verified SSL Digital Certificate to the list so that folks can input CC info with confidence.

Honestly, the site as it is, comes off as more of a blog than a store. Perhaps an "influencer" business model would be more your speed. There are a lot of people who do very well using affiliate marketing by attracting an audience and then driving sales toward targeted products. The commissions are substantial in some cases. The nice thing about this type of model is that there is very little start up/overhead costs involved.

Best of luck. Retailing is a blood sport.
*** LOOKING FOR YPS #17 & 18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

str8flexed

Postby str8flexed » Mon Nov 27, 2017

Had the main page redone, took a lot of what was said into consideration. Just can’t do the whole SSL store thing as I’m not carrying inventory and my shirt guy processes the payments and fulfills the orders.

highroller4321

Postby highroller4321 » Mon Nov 27, 2017

str8flexed wrote:Had the main page redone, took a lot of what was said into consideration. Just can’t do the whole SSL store thing as I’m not carrying inventory and my shirt guy processes the payments and fulfills the orders.

Much much better! :clap:

Return to “Burgers and Beers”