Talk is Jeep!

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Rodebaugh
Jester

Talk is Jeep!

Postby Rodebaugh » Sat Oct 22, 2016

So with my PCGS orders out in never never land I get in the habit of checking for grades to post up every 4-5 hours. It is a disease. I have found that I have the same ailment when it comes to the Jeep website. I have been checking 2-4 times a day for them to update the build a jeep option for the new 2017 wranglers. Lat night the page was finally updated. I built my wrangler as I would want it and searched the inventory to see if anything was remotely similar out there setting on a lot. 998 miles away in TX. :lol: Why do all the nice jeeps built in Toledo end up on the wrong side of the Mississippi. (yep, there is a wrong side).

So I did a Jeep Jamboree a few weeks back in the Uwharrie national forest, NC. We got ran off by hurricane Matthew on day 2 but day one was a ton of fun. My "trail rated" liberty stayed at the house where it belongs. Instead I road shotgun to my buddy Cody. His rig is a stock manual 2016 Rubicon. The only thing aftermarket is the CB. He is pretty solid driver and has owned some old school Cherokees that did him well. So a solid driver, but not a pro.

The Uwharrie is just east of Charlotte. It is hard rock white quartz gold country; part of America's first gold rush that resulted in the formation of the Charlotte and Dalonega Mints. Well rest assured every time we stopped my eyes were fixed upon the ground. We came to a nice cleared area that reminded me of a coal strip just after the veg and trees had been cleared. The dirt was a little tore up and had received several rains. Well I didn't find any gold but it wasn't for a lack of looking. If it is any measure of my resolve I did end up finding a nice flint arrowhead. :geek:

Back on the trails the terrain was mixed. The area we were running was actually on private property just off the National forest. The site is set up as a training ground for military personnel to help enlisted folks understand and drive vehicles that they may encounter overseas and the capabilities and limitations. Climbs, descents, rut, mud, and rock made up the balance.

I have a bunch more that i want to type out on thoughts, action, goals with rig, and expectations. Also more on this Trip and the Rubicon/Driver's performance. maybe some pictures as well or a Video. :)
Last edited by Rodebaugh on Tue May 23, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Re: Jeep Talk

Postby MaxGravy » Sat Oct 22, 2016

Sounds like a good time Doc. :thumbup:

Oh yah, pics or it didn't happen. :angel:
ImageImageImage
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

H2SO4
Gold Jeeper

Postby H2SO4 » Sat Oct 22, 2016

Sounds like a great trip! Lets see some pictures!

I am glad to see the 2017 Jeeps finally got an upgraded headlight option. After Installing the Truck Lite headlights on my 2016 JKUR, I can say it is a huge improvement.

So Doc- whats your 2017 Build look like? Why not schedule a pick up late next summer, say in the Colorado area, and then do some wheeling on the RIGHT side of the Mississippi? Seems like a great way to break in a new jeep!

Always looking for BS Bars- any serial numbers. Buy/Trade

Kutzy
Turtle Supporter

Postby Kutzy » Sat Oct 22, 2016

Why would you want the aluminium body jeep? It seems counter intuitive
I accept payment through Dwolla, PPG, check or money order. Accommodation available for international orders as well.

Rodebaugh
Jester

Kutzy wrote:Why would you want the aluminium body jeep? It seems counter intuitive

The claim is fuel economy.....a subject/feature to which I could care less. That is why I am pushing to get a 2017. Next year, the 2018 model, will by a new wrangler all together.

Rodebaugh
Jester

Kyle, those are some great pictures! Love the snow path. :D

Engineer
Pirate Jester

Postby Engineer » Sat Oct 22, 2016

Rodebaugh wrote:
Kutzy wrote:Why would you want the aluminium body jeep? It seems counter intuitive

The claim is fuel economy.....a subject/feature to which I could care less. That is why I am pushing to get a 2017. Next year, the 2018 model, will by a new wrangler all together.

An Al body would be nice in the rust belt. :thumbup:

My strategy is to avoid the first model year after major changes, so manufacturers have time to work the bugs out.
The year 2017: Where words and ideas are considered too hateful to be said,
while riots and assault are considered too peaceful to be prosecuted.

Rodebaugh
Jester

H2SO4 wrote:
So Doc- whats your 2017 Build look like?

2017 Rubicon Hard Rock Unlimited
Things it comes with that I want include:
-front and rear e-lockers
-electronic disconnect sway bars
-slush mats
-steel bumpers
-rock rails
-front and rear tow hooks
-Dana Axes
Factory Options that I want are
-Automatic
-Firecracker red paint
-Body colored hard top
-Body colored fenders
-standard radio
-4:1 axle
-Tow package (optional as I can add it on myself)
-Hard top headliner (not wanted but I will tolerate it as an option)

Why not just the rubicon? I want the hard rock addition mainly for the bumpers and rock rails. The regular rubicon rock rails can rub on a 35's if a rear wheal is really depressed up in the fender. You have to cut them otherwise to prevent this. So I'm thinking a 2.5-3" AEV lift and 35's will get me what I am after. AEV is a touch more expensive but you can feel the difference from a Teraflex in regular highway driving (which will be 95% of this vehicles miles).
Attachments
IMG_0165[1].jpg
IMG_0165[1].jpg (86.7 KiB) Viewed 1171 times

Kutzy
Turtle Supporter

Postby Kutzy » Sat Oct 22, 2016

I bought a 2014 Pearl Blue Freedom edition. Had the look and style I wanted without the 5-10k in unnecessary add ons. I just can't get behind the aluminum body. It seems like it won't hold up as well.

And if you are buying a Jeep I think the MPG is not high on your priority list
I accept payment through Dwolla, PPG, check or money order. Accommodation available for international orders as well.

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Sat Oct 22, 2016

Kutzy wrote:I bought a 2014 Pearl Blue Freedom edition. Had the look and style I wanted without the 5-10k in unnecessary add ons. I just can't get behind the aluminum body. It seems like it won't hold up as well.

I would think an aluminum body would be a good thing for off-roading as well. With a lighter cab the center of gravity is going to be lower. Anything that keeps the rubber side down seems like a win.
*** LOOKING FOR YPS #18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Sat Oct 22, 2016

Bhawhaha......Pootie little Jeeps-cars.

Here's the mountain goat I used to own, along with my pit crew. It was a rare bird, Suzuki only made US model hard-tops in 1986 & 1987. It also had factory a/c. 1400 cc motor and torque that just wouldn't quit.

These are still made under license in India and Pakistan. Many different body styles too....original body, pickup truck, and a hi-roof ambulance.

Bought it off ebay and had it trucked to FLA from AZ. It was nothing but fun in the Great Ocala Forest. It's good to be small, you can go all through all kinds of places where a Jeep won't fit.

Pic taken at Daytona Beach. Sold her to a snowbird who lives in Nova Scotia a couple years ago.

267676_199444056775107_5168054_n.jpg
267676_199444056775107_5168054_n.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 1144 times
Last edited by Bucketeer on Sun Oct 23, 2016, edited 2 times in total.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Engineer
Pirate Jester

Postby Engineer » Sat Oct 22, 2016

Rik Bitter wrote:
Kutzy wrote:I bought a 2014 Pearl Blue Freedom edition. Had the look and style I wanted without the 5-10k in unnecessary add ons. I just can't get behind the aluminum body. It seems like it won't hold up as well.

I would think an aluminum body would be a good thing for off-roading as well. With a lighter cab the center of gravity is going to be lower. Anything that keeps the rubber side down seems like a win.

It would be worse if lots of body flexing was involved. Aluminum tends to crack rather than yield.
The year 2017: Where words and ideas are considered too hateful to be said,
while riots and assault are considered too peaceful to be prosecuted.

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

Postby Blue Angel » Sat Oct 22, 2016

Aftermarket aluminium Jeep tubs have been available for several years. I know a very serious rock crawler that has one.

http://youtu.be/NInj8tnmKZk

H2SO4
Gold Jeeper

Postby H2SO4 » Sun Oct 23, 2016

I am rocking ( :lol: ) the steel hard rock bumpers after the stock bumpers were dented/scuffed up form rocks pretty bad. The new steel ones are great. the stock fenders are huge, great tore up real easy and are Easily pulled off by rocks or obstacles.

the hard rock edition comes with the steel bumpers AND a steel splash guard/ front end skid plate. I didn't see this documented anywhere- but it is very significant. When I went to the hard rock bumpers, the front skid came with it. It has already served its purpose multiple times. It is a huge upgrade over the regular plastic splash guard.
Always looking for BS Bars- any serial numbers. Buy/Trade

PeacePeople

Postby PeacePeople » Sun Oct 23, 2016

If you happen to own a Jeep or any other serious off road vehicle, come to Moab. There are over 40 trails here that are used for off roading on a regular basis. Some are fairly easy, some you need at least 3 vehicles, winches and experience to complete.

If you would like a flyer/magazine that has a minor explanation of the trails in the area, let me know. The cost to you would be the couple $$ postage for me to mail it.... PM box is open
ImageImageImage

MaryB

Postby MaryB » Sun Oct 23, 2016

Land Rover Defender was aluminum bodied and they held up well. Guy in town has one that saw hard service, he restored it and the body needed no work.

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Oct 23, 2016

MaryB wrote:Land Rover Defender was aluminum bodied and they held up well. Guy in town has one that saw hard service, he restored it and the body needed no work.

I did not know this. Seems that it is a hold over from post war production when steel was needed more than aluminum. I think the Defender 110's are amazing overland trail riders with far superior cargo capacity. They are very capable and only fall short of standard jeep sport in turning radius and wheel travel in flex. (im sure there are others but these are biggies for me).The backseat has about the same room but sets up much higher. (feels like you are always crouching down to see) Would I like to have one? Damn skippy, nice old school overseas right hand drive turbo diesel that drives and purs like a ford tractor.

wjruth

Postby wjruth » Sun Oct 23, 2016

Has the fit and finish gotten better? I've had an '83 CJ7 and a '97 TJ. On the TJ you could see areas that looked unfinished with spot welds and panel finish that seemed off.

Rodebaugh
Jester

Postby Rodebaugh » Sun Dec 04, 2016

Still Jeep shopping. Test drove the perfect 2017 Rubicon FRIDAY (caps for a reason). Truck literally had everything I wanted with nothing I didn't. Not my first choice on color.....but it was still sharp. MSRP'ed at 46,900. Their price to me was 44,926. That's pretty much Invoice and they grab the holdback. SATURDAY I planned to counter and try to squeeze $4-800 of that holdback my way. Instead I received a text from my salesman that it had been sold. 20 min later I receive another text from my uncle Mike. It's a picture of him squatted down opossum grin slapped across his face with double thumbs hoisted on either side of his noggin in front of his new Jeep Rubicon. Man you can't make this stuff up.

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

Postby Blue Angel » Sun Dec 04, 2016

Rodebaugh wrote:Still Jeep shopping. Test drove the perfect 2017 Rubicon FRIDAY (caps for a reason). Truck literally had everything I wanted with nothing I didn't. Not my first choice on color.....but it was still sharp. MSRP'ed at 46,900. Their price to me was 44,926. That's pretty much Invoice and they grab the holdback. SATURDAY I planned to counter and try to squeeze $4-800 of that holdback my way. Instead I received a text from my salesman that it had been sold. 20 min later I receive another text from my uncle Mike. It's a picture of him squatted down opossum grin slapped across his face with double thumbs hoisted on either side of his noggin in front of his new Jeep Rubicon. Man you can't make this stuff up.

Wow! Better not blink next time.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”