Silver Buy Brag Thread

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
mnymgr1

Re: Silver Buy Brag Thread

Postby mnymgr1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010

tinfoil and baking soda? and I spent 2 hours with those ASE's! Just wrap the tarnished coins in baking soda, then the tin foil? sounds easy, will try tonight if I find some baking soda. ty.
Newbie Guidelines ---> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5335
www.cashbackmonitor.com to find the best cashback %
'EC' stands for Engelhard Corporation

Mr. Ed
Group Buy Moderator

Postby Mr. Ed » Wed Mar 03, 2010

mnymgr1 wrote:tinfoil and baking soda? and I spent 2 hours with those ASE's! Just wrap the tarnished coins in baking soda, then the tin foil? sounds easy, will try tonight if I find some baking soda. ty.

No No that is NOT how you do it. Take a large dish. I like to use a glass cake pan. Take a piece if aluminum foil and wrinkle it up. Then kind of flatten it back out and line the pan with it including the sides. You have to wrinkle it up so you have little areas for the mixture to get under the coin or it will only clean the top. Then boil some water. When the water is boiling add about a cup of baking soda to the water but add it slowly becauseit will foam up very quickly. Stir it reeeeeal good to desolve most of the baking soda and then dump the mixture over the coins making sure to cover them completly. Wait about 15 mins. and behold the wonder of science.
Mr Ed
Vision without execution is hallucination

jnojr

Postby jnojr » Sat Mar 06, 2010

So, how did I do?

I picked up twenty silver dollars for $16.10 each

They're all rough... ten are straight-up slicks, one with a hole in it. Four more have holes. The remaining six are just five rough Morgans and one Peace that looks like it was polished. Basically, the last six look pretty much like a batch I bought at a LCS for $17 + tax each.

I also have a 10 oz. bar, a Morgan, and a roll of 90% Kennedy halves coming from a member here, and I won an auction for a roll of mixed 90% halves on fleabay for $122 including shipping.

My stack,a s pitiful as it is, is on it's way!
Sign up for Mr. Rebates and get 3% cash back for eBay purchases! http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=414861

San Diego stackers - Join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sdstackers/ to meet fellow stackers, participate in local group buys, save on shipping, etc!

apdigs8

Postby apdigs8 » Sat Mar 06, 2010

I know this is the wrong thread but can anyone recommend an acid testing kit to test purity of gold/ silver... thinking in terms of buying scrap jewelry for the most part and want to test and make sure it's real kind of thing : ) thanks in davance
"If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies soon will be in as sorry a state as the souls who live under tyranny." -Thomas Jefferson ( 1778 )

SilverRider

Postby SilverRider » Sun Mar 07, 2010

Ok...here is one that I just won today (I probably shouldn't brag before I receive them, but I just can't hold back my excitement!!)

Link

I'll end up saving about $77 with all of my rebates. At first glance you say "so what 25 oz for $485, that's like 19.42 an oz - you're crazy if you think that's a deal."

Aahhhh, but behold: there are 9 (NINE) 1996 ASES (average eBay price of 55 - 60ea)!

:!: :!: :o :o

So if I sell the 1996 ASEs for $50 ea, my average price for the other 16 would be about $2.19 ea!
Last edited by SilverRider on Mon Mar 08, 2010, edited 2 times in total.
Looking to buy Pre-2010 £2 Britannias (Proof/Regular, Graded/Ungraded, must be 69-70 BU quality)

DRP270
Site Admin

Postby DRP270 » Sun Mar 07, 2010

Great deal SilverRider :shock: .
ImageImageImage

jnojr

Postby jnojr » Fri Mar 12, 2010

I just got 7 dollars, an ASE, and a round for $134, or about $14.90 each before 3% rebate and whatever cash back my CC gives me :D

Probably won't make up for the screwing I gave myself on two other auctions, which I'll post details on after they're up so as to hopefully not jinx myself further :D
Sign up for Mr. Rebates and get 3% cash back for eBay purchases! http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=414861

San Diego stackers - Join http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sdstackers/ to meet fellow stackers, participate in local group buys, save on shipping, etc!

jnojr

Postby jnojr » Sat Mar 13, 2010

Ten Philharmonics for $17.91 each after rebates.

halfhunter
Gold Supporter

Postby halfhunter » Sat Mar 13, 2010

2 BU rolls of 1964 Kennedy halves for . . . get this . . . $184.50 shipped before 2% e-bay bux ! ! !
That's like 9X face.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170455633759&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Paid just as soon as the auction ended, however I'll bet the seller backs out. :cry:

HH
Always Searching For OBW Rolls ! ! !

NewSilverGuy

Postby NewSilverGuy » Sat Mar 13, 2010

Wow HH, nice grab. I haven't seen a braggable auction in a long time. :shock: If he doesn't go through with it, post it in his feedback so everyone knows.

halfhunter
Gold Supporter

Postby halfhunter » Sat Mar 13, 2010

NewSilverGuy wrote:Wow HH, nice grab. I haven't seen a braggable auction in a long time. :shock: If he doesn't go through with it, post it in his feedback so everyone knows.

If he doesn't, I will definately be leaving my first ever NEG! :lol:

HH

Chump_Change

Postby Chump_Change » Sat Mar 13, 2010

I made it to a coin show 3 hours east. Had a pretty good haul and I will post the booty from today when I get back. One quick question how can you tell if a Britannia is a proof or not? Thanks all. Dan
I have some that didn;t make the post. bought 3 Fleetwood medalist coins. a VFW from 1974 .999 Fine silver, a 1977 Christmas .999 Fine Silver round and a 50th Aniversary Charles Lindberg in .925 Sterlin round. Each Fleetwood was $2.00. The Two Adams County Rounds are from a county 40 miles east of here for their Centenial for 15.00 Ea. they are .999 fine. Not sure if the Britannia is a proof. First one I have seen in person to buy. Got it for 24.00The JM Bars and the Pixley bar were 19.00 each. Bought my first two Onzas and other Mexico Silver which I am really taking a liking to. :P Just had one of those days were a little digging in the bottom of Boxes. chewing the fat with Dealers was fun. Eagles were selling for 21.00, CML selling for 21.00 AGE's were going for 1200+ ANACS had a show represenative there and I tell you he was doing alot of business. I was at teh show for 3+ hours and he never did not have anyone at the table.Junk 90 % going for 13.5. Big Gallon bags of JFK 90 % and Washington Quarters were selling at 13%, well that is what they were tagged. Saw a Gentleman walk up and buy 2 100 Oz Poured JM Bars. paid Cash. Tehn walked down two more booths and purchased two more JM 100 oz. bars. Cash. 19.00 oz./100 1900.00 each. Raffle Prizes as follows. 1- 1 oz gold coin., 2- 100 old 100.00 bills from the 50's, ASE proofs. Morgan silver dollars. I beleive there is also Green seal $50.00 dollar bill as well. Over all jsut a fun day. Lots and lots of fun .

MTB bar was bought on E-Bay. Nice addition of the toning and also the COA, Was not expecting that.

Proof or no Proof? First Britannia I have seen to buy in person.

Image:D

DRP270
Site Admin

Postby DRP270 » Sat Mar 13, 2010

What a haul Chump. Thanks for the pics. 90% cheaper here by my experience.
ImageImageImage

mtforpar

Postby mtforpar » Sat Mar 13, 2010

That is a regular Britannia.
Take advantage of Mr Rebates and get cash back on tons of Internet purchases. It works, it really works!!! Hit the link below and you are on your way and you will also receive a $5 bonus for signing up.

http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=395845

Don't miss out on Free Cash for everyday purchases.

lomalu
Gold Supporter

Postby lomalu » Sat Mar 13, 2010

BEAUTIFUL pile of silver you picked up CC! We don't have those kinds of coin shows here :(
Image Image Image
formerly known as melhen26

Ember

Postby Ember » Sun Mar 14, 2010

I added a few more ounces today which brings me over the half way point to 500oz. When I started stacking about a year ago, I set a goal to reach 500oz for myself. After I reach that goal, I will add another 500oz for my fiancee, and 500oz per any future child. Only 200 more to go! :lol: I'm sure it's small potatoes to many, but I am excited :mrgreen:

halfhunter
Gold Supporter

Postby halfhunter » Sun Mar 14, 2010

Ember wrote:I added a few more ounces today which brings me over the half way point to 500oz. When I started stacking about a year ago, I set a goal to reach 500oz for myself. After I reach that goal, I will add another 500oz for my fiancee, and 500oz per any future child. Only 200 more to go! :lol: I'm sure it's small potatoes to many, but I am excited :mrgreen:

Not small potatos at all! That's one of the things I like about this site. There are more folks here, like me, who don't have the deep pockets to go out & buy Green Monsters all the time but have to go at it slow & steady. I believe that we appreciate our stacks more, and certainly have alot more FUN with it than the heavy hitters on some other coin & PM forums! JMO

CONGRATS! And of course Keep On Stacking ! ! !

HH

SilverRider

Postby SilverRider » Sun Mar 14, 2010

mtforpar wrote:That is a regular Britannia.

That is correct...that is a "regular" britannia. There weren't any proofs made in 2002. All of the Britannia proofs have frosty devices and mirrored fields. See my posting here for pics of the proof & uncirculated Britannias here.
Looking to buy Pre-2010 £2 Britannias (Proof/Regular, Graded/Ungraded, must be 69-70 BU quality)

Chump_Change

Postby Chump_Change » Sun Mar 14, 2010

Silver Rider. The one I have actually has frosty fields and mirror devices, Thanks for helpign a newb on the brittanias out. Dan

mtforpar

Postby mtforpar » Sun Mar 14, 2010

By the way, 2002 Britannia is one of the lower mintage years. I have one listed over on eBay right now and it is at $35 + $2.99 Shipping with 13 hours to go. So $24 is well below what you can score them for at the world's online marketplace.
Take advantage of Mr Rebates and get cash back on tons of Internet purchases. It works, it really works!!! Hit the link below and you are on your way and you will also receive a $5 bonus for signing up.

http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=395845

Don't miss out on Free Cash for everyday purchases.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”