Silver Buy Brag Thread

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
recyclersteve

Re: Silver Buy Brag Thread

Postby recyclersteve » Sun Sep 23, 2018

jareksdad wrote:
recyclersteve wrote:This one goes way back- to January, 2009. I was visiting a friend in Florida and happened to be near the West Palm Beach area where something like 1/3 of the country club members had accounts with Bernie Madoff (who had been arrested a month earlier for one of the biggest frauds in history).

These clients stood to lose a lot of money, so there was a local pawn shop on national TV (CNBC) saying how much high end stuff they were receiving because of this.

I saw that they had some Kennedy halves in there. There were a bunch that had no silver, but they were mixed in with 40% silver coins in the same tub for $1 each. I created 3 stacks of coins, a total of about 50 coins. On top of each stack I placed a non-silver coin. Under the top coin, all the others were 40% silver. I was able to get all of them for $1 each. They always talk about how pawn shops rip people off and so forth. It was nice to actually get a bargain from one for a change.

Didn't you post this on RC with not so flattering results.....

Should be the same results. Can you find the post and quote it? Maybe I'm being confused with someone else?

recyclersteve

It wasn't like I made $100,000 on the deal. But the concept of buying something from a pawn shop for well less than it was worth was especially appealing to me.

recyclersteve

Purple and Gold wrote:
recyclersteve wrote:This one goes way back- to January, 2009. I was visiting a friend in Florida and happened to be near the West Palm Beach area where something like 1/3 of the country club members had accounts with Bernie Madoff (who had been arrested a month earlier for one of the biggest frauds in history).

These clients stood to lose a lot of money, so there was a local pawn shop on national TV (CNBC) saying how much high end stuff they were receiving because of this.

I saw that they had some Kennedy halves in there. There were a bunch that had no silver, but they were mixed in with 40% silver coins in the same tub for $1 each. I created 3 stacks of coins, a total of about 50 coins. On top of each stack I placed a non-silver coin. Under the top coin, all the others were 40% silver. I was able to get all of them for $1 each. They always talk about how pawn shops rip people off and so forth. It was nice to actually get a bargain from one for a change.

Just Wondering, if they were in a $1 ea tub why try to hide them?

Because the person coming over to take my money could have been different from the person who put them in the tub.

deathradio

Postby deathradio » Wed Sep 26, 2018

:asold: :asold: I just ordered the last two Mk Barz buccaneers........ https://www.apmex.com/product/155767/2- ... -buccaneer

Silver Art

Postby Silver Art » Thu Oct 18, 2018

I did buy two 2018-P ATB Cumberland Island Uncirculated 5-oz silver quarters for $99 each from a LCS..................and turned around and sold them for $137 each on Ebay.
DISCLAIMER: I am not a '70's silver art bar expert but I try my best to play one on the Internet. :)

Walkabout

Postby Walkabout » Fri Oct 19, 2018

I love Nevada and these Nevada silver bars. #silverstate

jareksdad

Postby jareksdad » Fri Oct 19, 2018

Just picked up a $100 face in dimes, mostly mercs for a grand off a jeweler. Said he didn't check so Maybe in can find some 3-5$ ones. Still happy either way!
D

rktect

Postby rktect » Sat Nov 10, 2018

Not sure if I got a good deal or not yet at my LCS

1. 2013 panda in very nice condition in capsule $20
3. 1982 libertad loose with slight toning. $15.50 ea
1. 1986 libertad loose slight toning. $15.50
1. 10 gram JM bar toned $5

Total. $87. I think it was a good deal. Thoughts?
"Less is more." Ludwig Meis van der Rohe
to which Wright replied
"Less is more where more is no good." Frank Lloyd Wright

wavebender

Postby wavebender » Sat Nov 10, 2018

rktect wrote:Not sure if I got a good deal or not yet at my LCS

1. 2013 panda in very nice condition in capsule $20
3. 1982 libertad loose with slight toning. $15.50 ea
1. 1986 libertad loose slight toning. $15.50
1. 10 gram JM bar toned $5

Total. $87. I think it was a good deal. Thoughts?

I'd say that's a very good deal. I only wish we had coin shops with those kinda prices where I'm at. It's a whole different ball game with metals, the exchange rate, the choices up here in Toronto.

texmex66

Postby texmex66 » Sun Dec 02, 2018

Picked up a nice group of morgans. Upon closer look when i got home i was stunned to find 2 CCs in the group 1878 and 1891. I think there are more beauties in it as well just have to do a little research on them. :clap:

AndeanCat

Postby AndeanCat » Mon Dec 03, 2018

I bought ten 1/10th ounce silver Rambo fractionals for $20.
ImageImage

Return to “Burgers and Beers”