The Tailgate - Sports Central

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
jcz1

Re: The Tailgate - Sports Central

Postby jcz1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017

This "we'll be back in 30 seconds" (CBS football tonight) and the World Series (a word from T-Mobile, etc), where they show commercials between plays now - really sucks. :thumbdown:
Democracy Dies in Darkness

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Fri Oct 27, 2017

It shoulda been us losing to the Dodgers!

MLB’s Joe Torre confirms that Nationals were hurt by a blown call in NLDS Game 5

chief baseball officer Joe Torre appeared on Chris Russo’s show on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Sports Radio. Russo asked Torre specifically about the application of that rule, at that moment in that game.

“You know, the whole rule interpretation — there’s rules, and then there’s instructions to the umpires,” Torre began. “There’s separate books. And what Jerry’s feeling was, that the interference didn’t take precedent over the fact that the ball was already past [Wieters] when the contact took place.

“However, the rule states — and you probably have read the rule — that when contact is made — in other words, when the bat came around and hit the catcher’s mask — it’s a dead ball,” Torre went on. “It’s a dead ball. And that’s the one thing that should have taken precedence.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc- ... a65ca2ba50

Also, Torre goes on to mention that Dusty Baker could have asked for a rule check with NY. He didn't say if he thought that failure got Dusty fired not re-signed.

(That blown call allowed 2 runs to score instead of ending the inning, in a 1-run game 5. :cry: )

Honestcoins

Postby Honestcoins » Sat Oct 28, 2017

jcz1 wrote:This "we'll be back in 30 seconds" (CBS football tonight) and the World Series (a word from T-Mobile, etc), where they show commercials between plays now - really sucks. :thumbdown:

It’s better than the alternative...full commercial break
Personal Ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/honestcoin
See something there you like? PM me, I'll be happy to work a no-fee deal.

In search of Zombucks Silver Walkers.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Sat Oct 28, 2017

MLB WS pre-game show, Dodgers Manager Dave Roberts complements A-Rod on J-Lo, comparing it to his homers, etc.

A-Rod responds: "I've overachieved in everything I've done in life, this is no exception." :lol:

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Sat Oct 28, 2017

jcz1 wrote:
Tractor Man wrote:
jcz1 wrote:Husband of Ely, MN’s Jessica Biel to perform at Super Bowl

The NFL has chosen to honor one of Minnesota’s greatest exports, Ely-born Jessica Biel, by announcing that her husband will be performing at the Super Bowl 52 halftime show in Minneapolis next February.

For months, we people of the Bold North have been speculating about how the league would celebrate our unique character. The nod to Biel, who tops IMDB’s list of “Most Popular People Born in Ely/ Minnesota /USA,” is a nice touch.

True, Biel’s family moved to a lesser state when she was young, but once a Minnesotan, always a Minnesotan. Also, she bought a Valentine’s Day card from a store on Nicollet as recently as 2014.

Though he’s known for dating non-Minnesotan stars such as Britney Spears and Cameron Diaz before he was lucky enough to wed an Iron Range gal, Biel’s husband Justin Timberlake isn’t just celebrity arm candy. He has an acting career (yes, that was him providing the voice of Boo Boo in the 2010 film Yogi Bear), and anyone who's performed with both Jimmy Fallon and the Black Eyed Peas clearly must have some singing talent -- or at least a great agent.

http://www.citypages.com/music/husband- ... /452363233

Really? This topic used to be about actual sports stuff until you showed up. :roll:

If you think my post is off-topic, you can report it. If a mod agrees, it will be moved or removed; if not, it won't.

Or ... you can get a sense of humor, and realize that the article cited was about the Super Bowl (sports!) and was supposed to be funny. :roll:

Getting back to sports, here's an interesting discussion of last night's game in the context of the new advanced stats dictating strategy, which one team followed while the other did not:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/a ... d76d9a628d

Sorry, just getting back to this. That night I noticed someone had posted an in-game World Series update in the "Drivel" thread, and your drivel was posted in this one. Nothing worth reporting to the mods, of course.

If anyone here is interested in actual sports ... how about this game 4! 1-1 going into the ninth!
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Image Image Image

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Sat Oct 28, 2017

Well, the Dodgers took that one in the 9th. 2-2 and they have Kershaw starting the last game in Houston. Big turn in this Series, which is shaping up to be an epic one.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Image Image Image

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Mon Oct 30, 2017

Now how about this game 5? Wow! 11-8 in another drama-filled wild one! And its only the 7th!

Image Image Image

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Mon Oct 30, 2017

12-12 bottom of the 9th! WHOLE EE SHlT!

Image Image Image

Bham

Postby Bham » Mon Oct 30, 2017

One of the best games I’ve ever seen. WOW WOW WOW!!! Verlander up next. As pissed as I am at Lunhow (Cards fan here) I have to give the Astros credit. Well built team. :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Mon Oct 30, 2017

NO juiced balls :roll: 6 dingers in a 10 inning game :pop:
ImageImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Mon Oct 30, 2017

MasterBlaster wrote:NO juiced balls :roll: 6 dingers in a 10 inning game :pop:

I hink it was 7. They set the single-game record with 8 earlier in this series, and they've now set the record for most in an entire world series with at least 1 game to go.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Wed Nov 01, 2017

Naturally, this World Series had to go 7 games. Predictions? Another HR derby game, or a low-scoring pitcher's duel like game 6? Who wins?

(No fair answering this after the game. :lol: )

Blue Angel
WFTW Supporter

Postby Blue Angel » Wed Nov 01, 2017

Well, we are liking how it's going so far. Going to be a very different game with the starting pitching maybe relieving.

Go Astros!

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Wed Nov 01, 2017

5-1 ASTROS 9th :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Fri Nov 03, 2017

nicksaban.jpg
nicksaban.jpg (72.16 KiB) Viewed 218 times

:P
ImageImageImage

Honestcoins

Postby Honestcoins » Fri Nov 03, 2017

Deshaun Watson :-(
Personal Ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/honestcoin
See something there you like? PM me, I'll be happy to work a no-fee deal.

In search of Zombucks Silver Walkers.

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Fri Nov 03, 2017

Brian Hoyer :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

trapperrick

Postby trapperrick » Sat Nov 04, 2017

So I just watched Oklahoma beat Oklahoma State 62 to 52. No, not on the basketball court but on the football field. Defense was not an option today.
“I, Franklin D Roosevelt…do declare that said national emergency still continues to exist and…do hereby prohibit the hoarding of gold…”

EXECUTIVE ORDER 6102, issued by US president Franklin Delano Roosevelt on April 5th 1933, banned private gold ownership .

MasterBlaster
Silver Supporter

Postby MasterBlaster » Thu Nov 09, 2017

Pat's only get stronger...Marty Bennett signs with NE, Gronk & Bennett :clap: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2135 ... tt-waivers
ImageImageImage

trapperrick

Postby trapperrick » Fri Nov 10, 2017

MasterBlaster wrote:Pat's only get stronger...Marty Bennett signs with NE, Gronk & Bennett :clap: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2135 ... tt-waivers

Kind of odd that Green Bay put Marty on injured reserve with a concussion supposedly so bad that it might jeopardize his season now all of the sudden he's back with the Pats practicing with the team. Just more shady dealings coming out of New Beanland.
“I, Franklin D Roosevelt…do declare that said national emergency still continues to exist and…do hereby prohibit the hoarding of gold…”

EXECUTIVE ORDER 6102, issued by US president Franklin Delano Roosevelt on April 5th 1933, banned private gold ownership .

Return to “Burgers and Beers”