>>Snakes, Chickens and Coops!<<

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
AGhead

>>Snakes, Chickens and Coops!<<

Postby AGhead » Sat Aug 13, 2016

Back in 2014 I posted:
My wife's chicken coop was raided yesterday! The serpent ate 3 eggs and near gave her a heart attack as she was fetchin' eggs :shock: - It was near 6 ft long. Fortunately, I work 5 min from house. I sped home and rescued all. RIP egg suckin' 'cobra' :thumbup:
snake eyes.jpg
snake eyes.jpg (35.52 KiB) Viewed 1573 times

That is its eyes lit from camera flash. It is in the nest box. (I have a pic of it dead...longer than a shovel- can't find it)

meanwhile, Aug 2016:
3' + long snake skin wife found in her chicken coop yesterday. It hasn't got any eggs yet but it sure has made her 'snake-shy'. The serpent must be comfortable in the coop since it shed in there. :twisted:
skin1.jpg
skin1.jpg (45.3 KiB) Viewed 1573 times

The pic below is from this morning. We decided to clean-up around the coop. Under the coop were 2 more skins! I pulled the skins out w a stick, over a foot of each broke off staying under coop. - both salvaged skins were over 4' long! :o These snakes could be 6' :shock: long.

ski.jpg
ski.jpg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 1573 times

I set a trap with a chicken cage w some ceramic eggs in it. Theoretically the serpent will crawl in, swallow egg(s), try to leave, but its egglarged body can't fit back through the wire cage. :twisted:
to be cont...
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

threeblindmoose

Re: >>Snakes, Chickens and Coops!<<

Postby threeblindmoose » Sat Aug 13, 2016

Eagerly awaiting the conclusion! :pop:

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Sat Aug 13, 2016

3skins.jpg
3skins.jpg (45.35 KiB) Viewed 1548 times

These are all 3 of above mentioned snake skins found this week.

snake.dead.jpg
snake.dead.jpg (59.15 KiB) Viewed 1548 times

This is the chix snake killed in 2014. It had 3 eggs in its belly :evil:

rottiesforever
Turtle Supporter

Postby rottiesforever » Sat Aug 13, 2016

OMG !!!

Good Luck, Sure hope trap works :thumbup:
:pop:
Turtles all the way down

Brucifer
Silver Supporter

Postby Brucifer » Sun Aug 14, 2016

When you bag one of those things, do you make a belt, hatband or wall hanging out of the skin?

93 OCTANE
War Eagle Supporter

Postby 93 OCTANE » Sun Aug 14, 2016

Found a 4 foot chicken snake in mom's bathroom last year, had to get a straight edged hoe and trap him against the wall in order to get the rascal out of house,, they give off a putrid smell when scared that will take you to your knees
Life is hard, it's harder if you're stupid

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Mon Aug 15, 2016

93 OCTANE wrote:Found a 4 foot chicken snake in mom's bathroom last year, had to get a straight edged hoe and trap him against the wall in order to get the rascal out of house,, they give off a putrid smell when scared that will take you to your knees

:o :shock:
10 yrs back I was in living room chillin', along crawls around 24" long king snake :shock:
I $h1t, then caught it and released it outside. I hardly could walk through house or was afraid to go into closet, get in bed, etc. My house was fairly new then so I was stumped on snakes access.
I finally found a small hole at the bottom outside back wall. I assume it followed a mouse in (and not a poisonous snake). I sealed the hole and crawled around whole house looking for more holes.
I still haven't told my wife about that. :shh:

DRP270
Site Admin

Postby DRP270 » Mon Aug 15, 2016

King snakes are harmless to humans

What you need to remember is Red Yellow--Dead Fellow; nothing more as that is the coral snake which actually has a hard time biting a human with his back turned teeth unless you just let him come on to you but just stay away if you see this guy.

Milk snake not a problem.

ImageImageImage

stumpdust
Gold Supporter

Postby stumpdust » Mon Aug 15, 2016

Was told as a kid
Red touch Yellow a Deadly Fellow
Red Touch Black a Friend of Jack

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Tue Aug 16, 2016

Coral snakes are indigenous to here (Ark.) I have never seen one.
We also have rattlers,cotton-mouths, and copperheads in abundance. I've experienced all these.
I saw either a 'milk snake' or a "striped king snake' as a kid.

We commonly have the 'speckled' king snake here. They wad up into a ball and shake their tail like a rattler but are gentle and harmless. I have caught them and released them at my house. (NOT in my house!)
They hunt and eat mice as well as poisonous snakes :clap: I don't think they eat eggs.
I hope the skins around our coop are from king snakes.

Speckled-Kingsnake.jpg
Speckled-Kingsnake.jpg (120.82 KiB) Viewed 1416 times

pitw
Gold Supporter

Postby pitw » Tue Aug 16, 2016

I'd move. :shock:

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Tue Aug 16, 2016

We haven't had any issues with snakes getting at our chicken or eggs, but I have had hawks, bobcats, coons, opossum, skunks and the neighbors dog get them. Just lost our Lavender Orp. the other day.
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Tue Aug 16, 2016

Last summer I stepped on a huge speckled King snake hiding in my grass,, stepped on him with my bare feet :shock: Scared the ^&*( out of me. thank goodness it wasnt a moccasin that i see on my land sometimes
ImageImageImage

AGhead

BarsandStars wrote:We haven't had any issues with snakes getting at our chicken or eggs, but I have had hawks, bobcats, coons, opossum, skunks and the neighbors dog get them. Just lost our Lavender Orp. the other day.

I watched a huge hawk swoop down to get a chicken in our 'chicken run'. I guess it didn't see that it is fully covered in fence wire. It crashed hard and flew off wobbly. :lol:

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Tue Aug 16, 2016

AGhead wrote:
BarsandStars wrote:We haven't had any issues with snakes getting at our chicken or eggs, but I have had hawks, bobcats, coons, opossum, skunks and the neighbors dog get them. Just lost our Lavender Orp. the other day.

I watched a huge hawk swoop down to get a chicken in our 'chicken run'. I guess it didn't see that it is fully covered in fence wire. It crashed hard and flew off wobbly. :lol:

A few months ago we had a monster hawk swoop down, grab our rooster by one of his feet and attempt to fly off with it. Our property is separated from the neighbors by an old stone wall. Well the hawk apparently couldn't achieve proper liftoff and didn't quiet clear the stone wall during it's escape. I heard the roosters head crack off the stone wall and thought it was dead. As I was carrying it back to the house, I thought "might as well clean this thing and make soup" Well it evidently read my mind b/c it woke up immediately and started thrashing in my arms....before I dropped it....on it's head...again. :lol:

Yep, whitey the rooster is no longer with us. He survived the hawk attacks but not the bobcat.
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

Justfishin

Postby Justfishin » Tue Aug 16, 2016

May be cold as hell up here, but only garter snakes!
ImageImage ImageImage
KCCO

AGhead

BarsandStars wrote:
AGhead wrote:

A few months ago we had a monster hawk swoop down, grab our rooster by one of his feet and attempt to fly off with it. Our property is separated from the neighbors by an old stone wall. Well the hawk apparently couldn't achieve proper liftoff and didn't quiet clear the stone wall during it's escape. I heard the roosters head crack off the stone wall and thought it was dead. As I was carrying it back to the house, I thought "might as well clean this thing and make soup" Well it evidently read my mind b/c it woke up immediately and started thrashing in my arms....before I dropped it....on it's head...again. :lol:

Yep, whitey the rooster is no longer with us. He survived the hawk attacks but not the bobcat.

:lol: :lol: ...RIP Whitey :angel:

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Postby Recluse » Tue Aug 16, 2016

I took a picture of these a few years ago in my back yard. This was mid June during mating season. It is the only time of the year that I could get one to strike at me. I guess they want to be left alone when they are looking for action. Any other time they will evade contact. I once used a wiffle ball bat to roll one over on it's back so I could try to identify it. It would not strike. It put it's head down and curled coils over it's head to protect itself. To the best of my ability I have identified them as a grey rat snake. I don't allow anybody to kill them.
ImageImage

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Thu Aug 18, 2016

No snake caught in 'trap' yet. I found some pics of my Wife's coop build. The coop is made of 98%
recycled junk that I scored off some of my job sites etc.
The lumber came from dead pine trees on our property. I cut and hauled to mill for the lumber.

logs.jpg
logs.jpg (45.08 KiB) Viewed 1290 times

It was cold winter of 2011. I built walls in my shop. I hauled them w my backhoe and set on the coop floor. The floor is a steel flatbed off an old truck of my late grandpa. He'd be proud :thumbup:

in.shop.mfg.jpg
in.shop.mfg.jpg (58.1 KiB) Viewed 1290 times

Walkabout

Postby Walkabout » Thu Aug 18, 2016

Killing a non-venomous snake is illegal in the state of Georgia, and for good reason. They dont hurt anything and they serve important ecological purposes. Jesus said if a man steals your shirt, offer him your jacket too. Why not let the snake have a few chicken eggs. Get one more chicken?

Return to “Burgers and Beers”