Anyone use Uber?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
didochili

Re: Anyone use Uber?

Postby didochili » Wed Jun 07, 2017

Me and my family has 100% switched to Uber. I've also introduced this to my parents and they love it.
In almost all my use, Uber is less expensive than taxi.
In most cases, Uber drivers are more friendly, provide better service than taxi drivers do.
Over the years I've had some bad experience with taxi drivers.

Also in China, they had Uber, it's since been sold to Didi, but still the same type of ride service. In China, it's common for taxi drivers to refuse service because they feel they could wait and get better fare business. But Uber/Didi can not refuse service due to their service model.

didochili

Postby didochili » Wed Jun 07, 2017

jcz1 wrote:This just in... your next Uber driver may be a convicted felon:

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2016/0 ... er-felons/

This may only apply to California, article isn't really clear about that.

This is an interesting point. I ran into the same argument in China when riding a taxi there.

BTW, when I was in China last year, I rode both taxi and Uber due to situational convenience. There was a huge "war" between taxi drivers and Uber/Didi drivers in China at that time. Taxi drivers face the same challenge as their license, which used to value hundreds of thousand yuan, now deflates greatly in value. Also at the time Uber was not legalized by the Chinese government yet - not that Uber was illegal. It was a grey area in China. In one reported incident, 3 taxi drivers in my city baited an Uber driver and beat him up when the uber driver went to provide ride service. Then the Uber driver called his social media group and ~100 Uber cars went to the incident location, but ~200 taxi drivers also drove to the incident and it became a large incident.

So when I rode a taxi car, the driver told me how Uber drivers could be rapist and criminals. And I remember I was thinking to myself: do you think I am an idiot? I know where he comes from which is why I didn't argue with him. but seriously any population could have bad people. There is something called common sense, any successful business better follow common sense to a certain degree.

everything

Postby everything » Tue Jun 13, 2017

Uber is using every last one of it's drivers to establish a foothold to monopolize the markets, eventually it will have its own fleet of driverless cars.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Tue Jun 13, 2017

Personally I prefer Lyft. The drivers are a bit nicer and its cheaper than Uber. They're usually in the same markets as Uber too.

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Mon Mar 19, 2018

Uber's self-driving car killed a pedestrian in Arizona — company is now halting self-driving car tests

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/03/19/uber-se ... -says.html
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Mon Mar 19, 2018

Ive never used Uber but my daughter has. There were 3 robberies around the LSU campus area this weekend by fake uber drivers. Be careful.
ImageImageImage

everything

Postby everything » Tue Mar 20, 2018

silverpv wrote:Personally I prefer Lyft. The drivers are a bit nicer and its cheaper than Uber. They're usually in the same markets as Uber too.

It's just as likely or possible that these two big boys will merge at some point, or just try to bankrupt each other, whatever works.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Tue Mar 20, 2018

everything wrote:
silverpv wrote:Personally I prefer Lyft. The drivers are a bit nicer and its cheaper than Uber. They're usually in the same markets as Uber too.

It's just as likely or possible that these two big boys will merge at some point, or just try to bankrupt each other, whatever works.

Doubt it, their culture is very different. I would think a different entity would buy one or the other vs. consolidate. Maybe a private equity buyout.

t458
Turtle Supporter

Postby t458 » Tue Mar 20, 2018

A taxi driver told me once that Uber drivers are foreigners and temps, and that when they drive you away from your home, especially to an airport, and they would call a friend to burgle your house.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”