Any Vegetarians here?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Re: Any Vegetarians here?

Postby tdtwedt » Tue Jun 11, 2019

There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Tue Jun 11, 2019

My family and I voluntarily ate our first completely vegetarian dinner last night even though an excellent pork loin was available. I consider this welcome progress given my wife is on a paleo-keto no carb esque diet and my daughter is a sometimes picky eating teen where hot sauce and ketchup are staples. Slow and steady persistent attrition eventually wins.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

iratebob
Platinum Supporter

Postby iratebob » Tue Jun 11, 2019

Not a vegetarian. I'm not against the eating choice. Definitely health benefits to eating veggies and to minimizing meat intake especially with hormone and growth injections normalized now. Hate that militant vegetarians. Humans are designed to eat meat (canines, digestive system, nutritional requirements, and our physiological make up). That said, we are also designed to eat plants. Modern man has engineered and cultivated the plants necessary to make a 100% plant based diet possible. Is it better or worse ... maybe! LOL. I'll try the beyond meat burger. But I will never give up meat.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Sun Jun 23, 2019

ZH: Fake Meat: Big Food's Attempt To Further Industrialize What We Eat.
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-06-22/fake-meat-big-foods-attempt-further-industrialize-what-we-eat
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Sun Jun 23, 2019

Bucketeer wrote:ZH: Fake Meat: Big Food's Attempt To Further Industrialize What We Eat.

Thanks again for another great post Brother Bear. Found the author and original article. I've read some of her stuff before. For me, it's more evidence why I don't trust corporations and spend time facilitating my local organic CSA farm. I know the farmers, hired hands, customers they serve, and the land, soil, and process/protocol our food is raised from. It's a community of people they have welcomed me into with open arms and it pleases me to be a part of it as much as this community does. Just as the future is with "real money", so it is also with community.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

ChrisRx
Silver Supporter

Postby ChrisRx » Sun Jun 23, 2019

Due to high cholesterol that runs in the family I will say I try to have "vegetarian days." Its just so hard to commit fully.

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Thu Jul 04, 2019

Joey Chestnut, Miki Sudo relish repeat Nathan’s hot dog eating titles

Joey Chestnut and Miki Sudo remain top dogs in a 103-year-old Fourth of July holiday tradition: Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest on Thursday on Coney Island’s famed boardwalk in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Chestnut, 35, of San Jose, Calif., won his 12th title by consuming 71 hot dogs in 10 minutes, defeating 17 opponents. He has consumed at least least 70 hot dogs four times: 74 in 2018, 72 in 2017 and 70 in 2016.

Sudo, 34, of Las Vegas, won her sixth title in a row in the women’s competition, chowing down 31 dogs. Last year she ate 37.

https://www.breitbart.com/news/joey-che ... ng-titles/

:mrgreen:

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Wed Jul 24, 2019

Dunkin’ adds Beyond Meat’s sausage to its menu, starting in New York

Dunkin’ is the first U.S. restaurant chain to add Beyond Sausage to its menu.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/23/dunkin- ... -york.html

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Mon Aug 12, 2019

Burger King went nationwide last week with the Impossible Whopper, so I finally got to try one myself. Definitely better than any so-called veggie burger, but I'm not sure how close it really is to real beef, since it's been about 4 years since I had one. As for cost, it was about 50 cents more than a double Whopper, but I think the size of the patty is more in line with the normal (single?) Whopper.

Anyone else had a chance to try one at BK yet?

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Wed Aug 14, 2019

Red Lobster will not be selling ‘terrible’ plant-based seafood

“Yes, we have looked into plant-based seafood — it was terrible. And no, we’re not introducing it,” Red Lobster CEO Kim Lopdrup said in an interview.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/13/red-lob ... afood.html

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Thu Aug 15, 2019

Simon Cowell looks different after going vegan

"You feel better," he said. "My memory's better, I feel better, so I didn't find it difficult.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/15/entertai ... index.html

Personally, I didn't notice any changes.

"If I was on a one to 10 scale of being handsome, I was an eight and now I've gone to an 11," he reportedly told The Sun earlier this year.

This DEFINITELY didn't happen for me. Maybe I need to go vegan instead of vegetarian. :lol:

PennyToad

Postby PennyToad » Fri Aug 16, 2019

I'll go vegetarian tomorrow

silverpv
Platinum Supporter

Postby silverpv » Sat Aug 17, 2019

After moving to a plant based diet with exercise, not fully vegetarian I still have animal based protein 8-10oz per day, some days vegan, other days pescatarian, other days paleo, Keto, or vegetarian. Every day the food is different but balanced 2-3 oz of protein, 90g-120g carbs, 90-120g of veggies 4-5x/day. After 2 years I dropped 45 lbs, stopped taking high blood pressure meds, high cholesterol meds, and control my autoimmune issue with diet vs biologic. Cut 3/4 meds have more energy, feel lighter, arthritis is reduced. I tried vegan/vegetarian proper but lost too much muscle mass, I probably didn’t do it correctly as I did it for 3-4 months. I highly recommend it if you have health issues or just want more energy and want to feel lighter. Way better than being constantly medicated but giving up gluttony is hard.

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Fri Aug 23, 2019

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Thu Aug 29, 2019

jcz1 wrote:
tdtwedt wrote:KFC is considering plant-based fried chicken but has no plans to test right now, executive says

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/30/kfc-is- ... t-now.html

I hope they do, I think it would be awesome. It seems likely that most of the flavor comes from the 11 herbs and spices in their breading, so if they can find something that can generate enough grease, it could be great, :thumbup: although likely still really bad for us :thumbdown:

The above was from May 31, 2019. It would seem that the "no plans to test" was a lie, unless KFC can go from "no plans" to an actual test, while coordinating with Beyond Meat, in less than thre months. The single-restaurant test was two days ago. :roll:

Likely, this was in the works and they had not finalized test details, and for some reason chose to mislead. No matter, I just want them to hurry up and roll out nationwide. Because I would think this test must be considered successful. Why do I say that? This is why:

In less than 5 hours, not only did they sell out, but guests purchased the amount of Beyond Fried Chicken KFC would normally sell on average of popcorn chicken in a week.

https://www.beyondmeat.com/whats-new/be ... d-chicken/

The two items tested were nuggets and boneless wings. Something tells me they won't be doing bone-in versions. :lol:

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Fri Aug 30, 2019

PennyToad wrote:I'll go vegetarian tomorrow

She must be frigid.

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Fri Aug 30, 2019

silverpv wrote:<snip> Way better than being constantly medicated but giving up gluttony is hard.

Way to tell it like it is. Gratz BTW, on everything before the <snip>.

iratebob
Platinum Supporter

Postby iratebob » Fri Aug 30, 2019

Decided to try the Impossible burger at Hopdoddy Burger Bar.

The way they bill it is to ring up a regular burger plus a $4.75 upcharge.
Decided to get a regular burger instead.
I tried to try it.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Fri Aug 30, 2019

iratebob wrote:Decided to try the Impossible burger at Hopdoddy Burger Bar.

The way they bill it is to ring up a regular burger plus a $4.75 upcharge.
Decided to get a regular burger instead.
I tried to try it.

Maybe try it at Burger King instead? It's only about $1 more there, IIRC.

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Tue Sep 03, 2019

‘Devastated’ Vegan Takes Neighbor to Court over BBQ Smoke and Odor

A “devastated” Australian vegan has taken her neighbors to court alleging they deliberately waft barbecue smoke rich in meat and fish smells across their shared boundary fence and into her property.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019 ... -and-odor/

Return to “Burgers and Beers”