Whats Cooking?

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
Recluse
Gold Supporter

Whats Cooking?

Postby Recluse » Wed Jul 01, 2015

Usually I cook my whole chickens on the grill beer butt style. I wanted to try something different tonight so I did one butterfly style. I was very happy with how it turned out and think I will do it more often. For those who don't know, to butterfly you cut the back bone and neck out then flip it over like an open book and flatten it out. I used kitchen scissors. :thumbup:
Last edited by Recluse on Fri Jul 10, 2015, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

DRP270
Site Admin

Re: Butterfly Chicken on the BBQ

Postby DRP270 » Wed Jul 01, 2015

Sounds good. Did you use a lower heat level?
ImageImageImage

Recluse
Gold Supporter

DRP270 wrote:Sounds good. Did you use a lower heat level?

I have never tried low and slow for a whole chicken. I like the skin crispy. Beer butt style takes 1hr 15 min at 350 for a 4.5lb chicken The butterfly took 1hr 5min at 350. It is easier to carry to and from the grill and it is much easier to cut up while hot.
ImageImage

DRP270
Site Admin

I am not sure what your cooking setup is but if you have five hours and can add smoke put whole fryers on at about 220 but not to exceed 250 (less cooking time) and it comes out amazing. Note I say fryers; the smaller chickens frequently sold at a great price.
ImageImageImage

Recluse
Gold Supporter

I am going to try that sometime. I have smoked a couple of turkeys. I didn't have too much trouble holding 225.
ImageImage

DRP270
Site Admin

Recluse wrote:I am going to try that sometime. I have smoked a couple of turkeys. I didn't have too much trouble holding 225.

For turkeys I select the largest small turkey I can find. This will be a hen as toms at the same weight have much less meat. About 10 lbs up to 12--you should be able to see the difference. There is a brand where they breed hens for larger breasts--Honeysuckle White I believe. Same method but more hours. Get a some six-packs and tell the wife you need to watch this closely so cannot do much else. Works for me and is a great day :lol: . Plus a great product with many options for the leftovers to include bodacious turkey soup.
ImageImageImage

everything

Postby everything » Wed Jul 01, 2015

Low and slow is the only way I like chicken, I cut way back on grilling out anything a few years back, and just go with spices/herbs to garner flavor. I also save the carcass, add a couple quarts of water, and let that simmer/cook down for a day or two, then add veggies/spices/herbs for flavor, cook another half day, strain and you have bone broth. Broth is an ancient healing remedy.

Double3
Gold Supporter

Postby Double3 » Thu Jul 02, 2015

My smoker is finally coming out tomorrow.

Going to do some country style ribs.

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Postby Recluse » Thu Jul 02, 2015

everything wrote:Low and slow is the only way I like chicken, I cut way back on grilling out anything a few years back, and just go with spices/herbs to garner flavor. I also save the carcass, add a couple quarts of water, and let that simmer/cook down for a day or two, then add veggies/spices/herbs for flavor, cook another half day, strain and you have bone broth. Broth is an ancient healing remedy.

Herbs & spices are above my pay grade, but I would like to learn. I am an admitted hack at cooking. I am very interested in doing this. How do you store the broth? How do you use it? Thanks!
ImageImage

MaryB

Postby MaryB » Fri Jul 03, 2015

Low and slow chicken skin is like chewing a rubber band... unless you use a propane torch or a grill to crisp it up. I do chicken at 375, crisp skin, decent smoke ring...

As far as herbs and spice the best bet to learn is take a little of each and put t on a labeled spot on a paper plate. Taste a bit of each with your finger, eat a bite of bread in between. Once you have an idea of what goes good together start mixing to get your personal rub.

My current rub is onion and garlic powder, salt(those 3 in equal amounts) then black pepper, ground bay, ground rosemary, ground celery seed. All to taste. Great on beef!

Double3
Gold Supporter

Postby Double3 » Fri Jul 03, 2015

Double3 wrote:My smoker is finally coming out tomorrow.

and a couple pork tenderloins.

I'm about to explode.

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Re: Whats Cooking?

Postby Recluse » Fri Jul 10, 2015

Anybody make philly cheese steak sandwichs at home?
I usually make them out of cut up leftover steak. I am looking for a cast iron griddle that I can use on the grill to do this. Hoards of onions and green peppers are ready in the garden. I will most likely lose most of the onions that I can't use in the short term. All the rain beating them over early and they are getting soft necks. I have the biggest crop of softball sized Walla Walla Sweeeeeet onions I have ever raised.
ImageImage

Mechanic4hire3
Platinum Supporter

Postby Mechanic4hire3 » Fri Jul 10, 2015

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/index.php

This place is a information overload....and I love it...
EBay rcook21973
Local: Redwheel_ Numismatics

Double3
Gold Supporter

Postby Double3 » Fri Jul 10, 2015

Mechanic4hire3 wrote:

I'll have to check that out. :thumbup:

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Mechanic4hire3 wrote:

A great forum!
Coincidently it was that forum that convinced me to ditch the gas grill and try a knock off egg, the char griller acorn.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showt ... p?t=127379
ImageImage

Mechanic4hire3
Platinum Supporter

I only joined a week ago. I have not posted ,but I have a freind of my girlfriends who smokes professionally. He told me about it so I have been reading and reading and trying some of the rubs. The place seems freindly and not nut job over ran. . I have a weber smoky moutain...once you get your sauces/rubs down pat...Unbelievable how tasty the meats are...I have enjoyed it very much in a short time...
corn and Texas style ribs on top, a standing rib (ribeye) roast and pork tenderloin on bottom rack..
EBay rcook21973

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Mechanic4hire3 wrote:corn and Texas style ribs on top, a standing rib (ribeye) roast and pork tenderloin on bottom rack..

Looks good! Damm, I'm getting hungry!
ImageImage

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Fri Jul 10, 2015

Recluse wrote:Anybody make philly cheese steak sandwichs at home?
I usually make them out of cut up leftover steak. I am looking for a cast iron griddle that I can use on the grill to do this. Hoards of onions and green peppers are ready in the garden. I will most likely lose most of the onions that I can't use in the short term. All the rain beating them over early and they are getting soft necks. I have the biggest crop of softball sized Walla Walla Sweeeeeet onions I have ever raised.

That sounds pretty awesome. My wife gave me a cast iron griddle for Christmas several years ago. For the life of me , no matter how much I shook the box under the tree, I could not guess what it was ;) :lol:

It has a smooth surface side and the "ridges" on the other. I need to break it out and use it :)
ImageImageImage

Recluse
Gold Supporter

silverhead wrote: My wife gave me a cast iron griddle for Christmas several years ago. For the life of me , no matter how much I shook the box under the tree, I could not guess what it was ;) :lol:

It has a smooth surface side and the "ridges" on the other. I need to break it out and use it :)

That griddle pretty much describes what I have been finding. I kind of would like to find one without the ridges on the bottom. I know that would be great for cooking some things over an open fire, but for what I want it for my priority would be easier clean up :D
ImageImage

Mechanic4hire3
Platinum Supporter

Recluse wrote:
silverhead wrote: My wife gave me a cast iron griddle for Christmas several years ago. For the life of me , no matter how much I shook the box under the tree, I could not guess what it was ;) :lol:

That griddle pretty much describes what I have been finding. I kind of would like to find one without the ridges on the bottom. I know that would be great for cooking some things over an open fire, but for what I want it for my priority would be easier clean up :D

https://www.lodgemfg.com/serving-griddl ... y-7-75.asp
EBay rcook21973

Return to “Burgers and Beers”