BS Banter-For the drivel that belongs no where

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
jcz1

Re: BS Banter-For the drivel that belongs no where

Postby jcz1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:This has got to be fake news, right?

California Considers $1,000 Fine for Waiters Offering Unsolicited Plastic Straws

Ian Calderon wants restaurateurs to think long and hard before giving you a straw.

Calderon, the Democratic majority leader in California's lower house, has introduced a bill to stop sit-down restaurants from offering customers straws with their beverages unless they specifically request one. Under Calderon's law, a waiter who serves a drink with an unrequested straw in it would face up to 6 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.

emphasis mine

According to the National Park Service (why them I don't know) we use 500 million straws per day. There is an attempt to get away from plastic straws, which are not recyclable, and use this finite resource for things that last longer than it takes to drink a soda or whatever.

For some reason, many of these straws end up in the oceans. A video of a sea turtle with a straw stuck in the nose helped spur some action.

The "Strawless in Seattle" campaign saved 2.3 million plastic straws in about 3 months by helping businesses and restaurants switch to a paper straw that biodegrades. The CA law is likely meant to avoid plastic straws, though it doesn't seem to say that.

source:
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/14/world/pla ... index.html

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Thu Jan 25, 2018

How about people throw away their garbage properly? I'll bet that most of those straws come from fast food drive thrus rather than restaurants where food is served by waiters. But that's too complicated for the democratic majority leader. He'd rather tax and penalize instead of educate.
I'm clearly not very bright.

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Thu Jan 25, 2018

Straws can't be near as bad as the baby / butt wipes everybody is flushing today! The so-called "flushable" wipes are reaking havoc on our municipal sewer system... jamming pumps and clogging screens and aeration.
They are bad for septic tanks too. Pump trucks pump the tanks and then discharge the trucks into our sewer sys., continuing to upset our lagoons. We will soon see sewer rate increases across the board to pay for the baby adults with sensitive anus'. Legislate butt wipes!
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

Tractor Man
Gold Supporter

Postby Tractor Man » Fri Jan 26, 2018

Quit guys. Why you gotta get all logical? Just fine and imprison the waiters already ... easy peasy ... you don't have to do anything and it looks like you've done something, making a difference (as long as your constituency is simple-minded enough to buy into it). At least the corporation doesn't have to deal with it, simply pin it on the low-wage working man. :lol: :lol: How very un-leftist, but I guess that's OK as long as they're not illegals.

You too can be "California" logical! (but I don't recommend it)
Last edited by Tractor Man on Fri Jan 26, 2018, edited 1 time in total.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. Charles Bukowski
Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd. Voltaire

Image Image Image

Diggin4copper
Kraken Supporter

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Jan 26, 2018

BS.. to use 500,000,000 straws every fast food restaurant in America would need to serve 3,000+ straws a day. That’s a made up statistic.
Outstanding!

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Fri Jan 26, 2018

White House Requests to Borrow Van Gogh Painting, Museum Offers Gold Toilet Instead

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... t-instead/

:lol:

:wanted:
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

MrGaribaldi
Silver Supporter

Postby MrGaribaldi » Fri Jan 26, 2018

The white house should accept it. I'd bet there would be a waiting line to use it.
And life goes on ......

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018

Diggin4copper wrote:BS.. to use 500,000,000 straws every fast food restaurant in America would need to serve 3,000+ straws a day. That’s a made up statistic.

Americans use 500 million drinking straws every day. To understand just how many straws 500 million really is, this would fill over 125 school buses with straws every day. That's 46,400 school buses every year!

https://www.nps.gov/commercialservices/ ... w_free.htm

It can't be made up - it's from the Gov't. :lol:

Diggin4copper
Kraken Supporter

Postby Diggin4copper » Fri Jan 26, 2018

jcz1 wrote:
Diggin4copper wrote:BS.. to use 500,000,000 straws every fast food restaurant in America would need to serve 3,000+ straws a day. That’s a made up statistic.

Americans use 500 million drinking straws every day. To understand just how many straws 500 million really is, this would fill over 125 school buses with straws every day. That's 46,400 school buses every year!

https://www.nps.gov/commercialservices/ ... w_free.htm

It can't be made up - it's from the Gov't. :lol:

HAHAHA HA

Eco-Cycle is unable to provide any data to back up this number, telling Reason that it was relying on the research of one Milo Cress. Cress—whose Be Straw Free Campaign is hosted on Eco-Cycle's website—tells Reason that he arrived at the 500 million straws a day figure from phone surveys he conducted of straw manufacturers in 2011, when he was just 9 years old
Outstanding!

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018

Sometimes I read something and it just makes me think "really?" Like this: apparently, most high school kids don't use their lockers. :?

The story mostly talks about local kids, but it seems to be widespread since locker manufacturers are feeling it. Sadly, no one asked if they lug their coats around all day in the winter. And decorating lockers was a big deal for birthdays, and sports teams, and probably more. These kids are missing out. :thumbdown:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... 136a1a9bef

Not really locker-related, but I'm reminded that we used to have mini-parades on game days, with the band and cheerleaders going through the halls before classes started. And the cheerleaders wore their outfits all day long! :thumbup:

toddler81

Postby toddler81 » Fri Jan 26, 2018

jcz1 wrote:Sometimes I read something and it just makes me think "really?" Like this: apparently, most high school kids don't use their lockers. :?

The story mostly talks about local kids, but it seems to be widespread since locker manufacturers are feeling it. Sadly, no one asked if they lug their coats around all day in the winter. And decorating lockers was a big deal for birthdays, and sports teams, and probably more. These kids are missing out. :thumbdown:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ed ... 136a1a9bef

Not really locker-related, but I'm reminded that we used to have mini-parades on game days, with the band and cheerleaders going through the halls before classes started. And the cheerleaders wore their outfits all day long! :thumbup:

Backpacks and back problems. No lockers decorated in our school. Mostly still have the band on important games (homecoming, regionals, etc) ... most kids either shove their coat in their backpack or wear it all day if they even have one. :? Still have the cheerleaders, too. Also got the athletes involved now by wearing a tie or dress/skirt.
$25 off Brooklinen Sheets
https://share.brooklinen.com/x/RdX4ZK

Get $10 free at Coinbase!
https://www.coinbase.com/join/595fcda9feff9f014857eb6e

:wanted: BU GOLD LIBERTADS
1/20: 2011
1/10: 1994,2000,03

:wanted: 1998 SILVER PROOF LIBERTAD FRACTIONALS (1/20, 1/10, 1/4)

:wanted: 2007, 2008, 2012 kangaroos on card

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Sat Jan 27, 2018

For the last week or so when I select "first unread post" box for this thread I am taken to page 176 instead of this current page 194.
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

bigjohn
Turtle Supporter

Postby bigjohn » Sat Jan 27, 2018

AGhead wrote:For the last week or so when I select "first unread post" box for this thread I am taken to page 176 instead of this current page 194.

Same thing happens to me in the YPS thread, I also noticed it about a week ago and automatically get taken to a page multiple pages back :?
OPEN A COINBASE ACCOUNT AND BOTH OF US WILL GET $10
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593592a00b8e899741fd9dec

ImageImage Image

silverhead
Silver Supporter

Postby silverhead » Sat Jan 27, 2018

AGhead wrote:For the last week or so when I select "first unread post" box for this thread I am taken to page 176 instead of this current page 194.

I have had similar issues with this and a few other threads the last 2-3 days but I can live with it
ImageImageImage

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Sun Jan 28, 2018

The US is going to make streaming services pay more for music

The Copyright Royalty Board of the U.S. Library of Congress issued a written decision that altered the formulas used to determine how much of their revenue streaming companies must share with songwriters and the music publishing companies they typically hire to collect licensing fees on their behalf.

The National Music Publishers Association said the ruling, which has not yet been made public, will require streaming companies to give 15.1 percent of their revenue to songwriters and music publishers. The previous rate was 10.5 percent.

The board, which consists of three judges, held a trial last year in which the trade group squared off against Spotify, Apple, Alphabet, Pandora Media and Amazon.com, which had opposed NMPA's proposed rate increase.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/01/27/this-us ... music.html

skylersfriend
Gold Jester

Postby skylersfriend » Sun Jan 28, 2018

For you genealogists or if you need a good chuckle and something to think about 8-)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... SnI963ZzgY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qu_Y1wQ92 ... e=youtu.be

(same song; with different charting)...
;)
Don't think of me as a cynic; I am an optimist with experience!

“To think things out properly and fairly, a fellow's got to be calm and old and toothless: When you're an old gaffer with no teeth, it's easy to say: 'Damn it, boys, you mustn't bite!' But, when you've got all thirty-two teeth...” Nikos Kazantzakis..ZORBA THE GREEK

mnymgr1

We know she likes attention but really ???

Postby mnymgr1 » Sun Jan 28, 2018

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... wards.html

she has 4 kids I thought, maybe 2? hey mom, nice dress you're wearing :oops:
like she needs more guys staring at her ?????
Newbie Guidelines ---> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5335
www.cashbackmonitor.com to find the best cashback %
'EC' stands for Engelhard Corporation

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Mon Jan 29, 2018

Rousey Shifts to Wrestling with Surprise Royal Rumble Cameo

Ronda Rousey’s next bout in the ring won’t come in mixed martial arts but in the world of professional wrestling.

The biggest superstar in women’s MMA officially made the jump to WWE on Sunday night with a surprise appearance at the Royal Rumble in Philadelphia.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2018/01 ... ble-cameo/

skylersfriend
Gold Jester

Postby skylersfriend » Mon Jan 29, 2018

A bit of wisdom ;)

A drunk man who smelled of beer sat down on a subway next to a priest.

The man's tie was stained, his face was plastered with red lipstick, and a half-empty bottle of gin was sticking out of his torn coat pocket. He opened his newspaper and began reading.

After a few minutes the man turned to the priest and asked, "Say Father, what causes arthritis?"

The priest replies, "My Son, it's caused by loose living, being with cheap, wicked women, too much alcohol, contempt for your fellow man, sleeping around with prostitutes, and lack of a bath."

The drunk muttered in response, "Well, I'll be damned”, then returned to his paper.

The priest, thinking about what he had said, nudged the man and apologized. "I'm very sorry. I didn't mean to come on so strong. How long have you had arthritis?"

The drunk answered, "I don't have it, Father. I was just reading here that the Pope does."

MORAL: Make sure you understand the question before you offer your answer..
Don't think of me as a cynic; I am an optimist with experience!

“To think things out properly and fairly, a fellow's got to be calm and old and toothless: When you're an old gaffer with no teeth, it's easy to say: 'Damn it, boys, you mustn't bite!' But, when you've got all thirty-two teeth...” Nikos Kazantzakis..ZORBA THE GREEK

Mechanic4hire3
Platinum Supporter

Postby Mechanic4hire3 » Tue Jan 30, 2018

The traffic on the site has been slow since Crypto came on the scene, now they have put me back on Graveyard. It's even worse. Where is engineer when you need him?
EBay rcook21973
Local: Redwheel_ Numismatics

Return to “Burgers and Beers”