To all our members in the way of bad weather....

AKA Bar and Grill - General Discussion of any topics, does not need to be related to metal trading.
rottiesforever
Turtle Supporter

Re: To all our members in the way of bad weather....

Postby rottiesforever » Sun Aug 26, 2018

Still Raining here this morning, but at least its just a drizzle right now. Most rain in Mountain View Over 50 Inches! One of our projects is in lower Mountain View, I have not been there since Tues, just hoping everything is OK...My house is doing OK, lots of standing water in the yard, but no damage. Luckily very little wind in our area.
Turtles all the way down

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Fri Aug 31, 2018

A buddy of mine works for an agricultural equipment dealership just outside Lancaster, PA and has been sending me pictures today. A storm sat over one already saturated area and dumped 13" of rain in 2.5 hours. A few miles in any direction and the rain was only moderate, but a heavy storm stalled and sat on them all afternoon. They moved as much equipment as they could to the highest point of the property but a good portion of the lot got 6-7 feet of water. They aren't exactly on low-lying ground either, they are right off an interstate exit (the interstate got shut down for a while too). Lots of brand new equipment with water up over the axles (or worse), lots of lawn and garden equipment under water. Their flatbed delivery trailer was completely submerged. The 8' chainlink / barbed wire fence just barely kept floating tractor tires from escaping :shock:

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Sun Sep 02, 2018

Whats the chances of this one coming to La.?
Attachments
40659327_1181790205304892_3000373812643495936_n.jpg
40659327_1181790205304892_3000373812643495936_n.jpg (92.89 KiB) Viewed 577 times
ImageImageImage

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Sun Sep 02, 2018

National Hurricane Center says 90% chance of becoming a tropical storm. So . . . Something close to 90% looking at your model map. They say watch what happens once it gets past the tip of FL. Otherwise, just really wet. Really Really Wet.
“Rationality belongs to the cool observer, but because of the stupidity of the average man, he follows not reason, but faith, and the naive faith requires necessary illusion and emotionally potent oversimplifications which are provided by the myth-maker to keep ordinary person on course.”

― Reinhold Niebuhr, Moral Man and Immoral Society: Study in Ethics and Politics

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Sun Sep 02, 2018

Brick's wrote:Otherwise, just really wet. Really Really Wet.

Thats the scary ones for us, The Great La. Flood of Aug 2016 was caused by a storm that wasnt even a named tropical storm and it caused a 1000 yr flooding event :shock:
Most of the people on my road had several feet of water in their homes, i would have too if i hadnt been proactive with sand bagging and pumps at the ready + answered prayers :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

deenz
Silver Supporter

Postby deenz » Fri Sep 07, 2018

Governor Cooper just declared a state of emergency here in NC for Florence as the storm gets more predictable. Hopefully limited impact unlike Matthew for those fellows down East. I should buy another tank of gas and another chain or two for my saw... just in case. Time for annual hurricane prep.

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Sat Sep 08, 2018

deenz wrote:Governor Cooper just declared a state of emergency here in NC for Florence as the storm gets more predictable. Hopefully limited impact unlike Matthew for those fellows down East. I should buy another tank of gas and another chain or two for my saw... just in case. Time for annual hurricane prep.

Gas up all of your vehicles ( have a siphon hose and know how to use it), Fill your Propane bottles, prep your Generator and have extra oil for oil changes, have pet food and fresh batteries and candles, buy extra gas cans and have tarps ready. Right before the storm comes, lower your icebox/freezer temp and home AC to the lowest level and fill your bathtubs and sinks with water. Wash all clothes and dishes. A microwave is your friend during a power outage, doesnt pull much juice from the generator. Hoard some cash, Stock up on water and bread, always the first to go at the stores.
Hunker down and break out the Scotch

All this or just haul a$$ to a hotel in another state like my wife and daughter used to do, leaving me alone to take care of the Ponderosa by myself :|
ImageImageImage

deenz
Silver Supporter

Postby deenz » Sat Sep 08, 2018

I'm central enough to not have too much trouble- downed power lines and maybe wind damage (trees and such). Fran devastated Raleigh back in the 90s, light damage in storms since then. No flooding where my house is. Good tips!

CCC2010
Turtle Supporter

Postby CCC2010 » Tue Sep 11, 2018

That is where one of our long time members also lives Mechanics4hire (Robert). Hope all of our members directly in the path stay safe and move inland if they are near the water. God Bless you all!!!
Image WTB:6 oz YPS Golf Ball. Pls.PM me.

deenz
Silver Supporter

Postby deenz » Tue Sep 11, 2018

CCC2010 wrote:That is where one of our long time members also lives Mechanics4hire (Robert). Hope all of our members directly in the path stay safe and move inland if they are near the water. God Bless you all!!!

I got my phone out yesterday, drafted a text, and never sent it. Thanks for the reminder. I'm about an hour and a half further inland- this storm is looking bad for NC. Thanks CCC.

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Tue Sep 11, 2018

Praying for safety for my fellow Marines at MCAS Cherry Point and Camp LeJuene, N.C., the track is showing a direct hit there with Over 30 " of rain predicted. I was stationed there for school and remember how beautiful it was.
Semper Fidelis.

La. Crews are rolling out today heding towards N.C.
I think maybe they should hang around here bc Hurricane Isaac is making a beeline for the Carribean :shock:
ImageImageImage

grantwoodisgold
Gold Supporter

Postby grantwoodisgold » Tue Sep 11, 2018

saying it is going to be a wet one like we had here last year

"SAUSAGE FLAVORED MEAT PELLETS, GRADE D BUT EDIBLE"
"Better 1 or 2 years early than 1 day late"

Mechanic4hire3
Platinum Supporter

Postby Mechanic4hire3 » Tue Sep 11, 2018

I want to thank every one for their well wishes, offers to stay, shack up, park my camper, and other offers. I stay about 55 Miles inland and it's going to be a wild ride. The North East wall should Hit us Direct. I'm abut 25 Miles from Jacksonville Home our Beloved Marines. I still am at work tonight from 9 to 7 am then tomorrow I'll decide what the plan is. I will say it's Hilarious watching everything in sight get bought up and people over consume right in front of people who get notbing. Anyhow Lord Willing I will be just fine. Inconvienced but fine. Ty all Again
EBay rcook21973
Local: Redwheel_ Numismatics

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Tue Sep 11, 2018

I have posted all the things that I have done in the past to prepare for Hurricanes. I know its hard to do but The best advice is to get the Hell out of Dodge. The NE quadrant of a Hurricane is the worst part for the coast. Ive heard this thing is 300 miles wide and will be a Cat 4 at landfall and may stall out on the coast. This is bad.. Stay safe and dont take any chances.
I am hearing that the Marine Basic training base at Parris Island S.C. is evacuating, this is unheard of :shock:
ImageImageImage

SilverGOP

Postby SilverGOP » Wed Sep 12, 2018

If the Marines are bailing, it MUST be bad.

Those sitting it out, be advised to be ready for sticky fingered and unwelcome strangers.

"If you talk the talk, walk the walk."

KI7CIL, General Class

oldvegasfox@reagan.net

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Wed Sep 12, 2018

FEMA is saying Florence is going to "hit like a Mike Tyson punch" :shock: now 400 miles wide

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/y ... -florence/
ImageImageImage

trapperrick
Gold Supporter

Postby trapperrick » Wed Sep 12, 2018

I have an aunt and uncle that live in Wilmington, NC and are not evacuating. I'm praying for their safety.
“I, Franklin D Roosevelt…do declare that said national emergency still continues to exist and…do hereby prohibit the hoarding of gold…”

EXECUTIVE ORDER 6102, issued by US president Franklin Delano Roosevelt on April 5th 1933, banned private gold ownership .

CCC2010
Turtle Supporter

Postby CCC2010 » Wed Sep 12, 2018

Were praying for the safety of everyone who decided to stay and ride the storm out. Hopefully its not going to be that bad. Sometimes they say its bad and it really comes out the opposite. We hope its the same case this time as well...

CCC2010
Turtle Supporter

Postby CCC2010 » Thu Sep 13, 2018

Weather Channel reported that Florence is going to drop 8 months worth of rain within 4 days. :shock: :shock: :shock:
About 10 Trillion Gallons of Rain according to the meteorologists. One of their lakes called Okeechobee in North Carolina there holds 1 Trillion Gallons of water. So this is 10 x the water in that lake is expected.

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Thu Sep 13, 2018

There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

Return to “Burgers and Beers”