Re: Input Needed for Website Improvements

Postby pitw » Mon Jun 22, 2015

Got it. Man it hurts to be stupid. :roll: :roll:

grantwoodisgold

Postby grantwoodisgold » Mon Jun 22, 2015

DRP270 wrote:
lucky43113 wrote:
joefro wrote:I think I recall someone else already suggesting this, but it would be nice if when you click a link in a thread that it would open it in a new tab instead of redirecting your current tab away from BS. I don't always remember to hit Cnrt+click to make it open in a new tab. Very minor suggestion, but if you're already working on the code... ;)

I just click the link with the scroll wheel of my mouse

+1 scroll wheel does it.

scroll wheel FTW :thumbup:
"SAUSAGE FLAVORED MEAT PELLETS, GRADE D BUT EDIBLE"

mnymgr1

Postby mnymgr1 » Mon Jun 22, 2015

I am still Greatly interested in a more normal format for PM's, so they act a bit more like emails.
Basically so I can re-read and delete them faster, without having to confirm deletion, then open the next message. I am back up to 600 messages and would love to have under 100, but don't want to delete a phone number or something else important by doing the mass deletion button/tab.
Newbie Guidelines ---> viewtopic.php?f=10&t=5335
www.cashbackmonitor.com to find the best cashback %
'EC' stands for Engelhard Corporation

grantwoodisgold

Postby grantwoodisgold » Mon Jun 22, 2015

mnymgr1 wrote:I am still Greatly interested in a more normal format for PM's, so they act a bit more like emails.
Basically so I can re-read and delete them faster, without having to confirm deletion, then open the next message. I am back up to 600 messages and would love to have under 100, but don't want to delete a phone number or something else important by doing the mass deletion button/tab.

i set up a couple of pm "file" folders with different names and moved older pm's there,

it is helping for now
"SAUSAGE FLAVORED MEAT PELLETS, GRADE D BUT EDIBLE"

TTrav
Gold Supporter

Postby TTrav » Mon Jun 22, 2015

MaxGravy wrote:
TTrav wrote:If this exists, I think I should have stumbled on it here, or I am blind. The latter is certainly a possibility.

Is there a way to mark all topics on all forums as read. I know that I can click on the mark topics read for the individual sub-forums, but I would like to have a broad and sweeping mark everything read if that's possible.

Again, I might be blind...

Go to the homepage and click "General Forums" at the top of the page.

Then at the bottom right you'll see a button that says: "Mark Forums Read"

You'll need to do this for "Marketplace" as well.

Thanks! I've never actually just clicked on General Forums that I am aware of. That explains it! :thumbup:

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Wed Jun 24, 2015

FYI: Our host will be doing Hardware Node maintenance overnight tonight between 11pm and 5am EDT. They say no more than 20-30 minutes of downtime during this period.
ImageImageImage
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

dae2dae
Gold Jester

Postby dae2dae » Wed Jun 24, 2015

MaxGravy wrote:FYI: Our host will be doing Hardware Node maintenance overnight tonight between 11pm and 5am EDT. They say no more than 20-30 minutes of downtime during this period.

not during our prime time jestering hours :cry:
“Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself.” Thomas Jefferson
ImageImageImage

javits100

Postby javits100 » Sun Nov 01, 2015

not sure if this has been asked before....

how about a reply all button in PMs. Especially helpfull when you get on a group PM and need to reply while driving :D
ImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015

I'm getting to that age where I'm starting to worry about repeating myself. It would be nice to easily see all of my posts within a certain thread, to see if I've already said something. The advanced search doesn't quite drill down to the level of detail needed for this.
Democracy Dies in Darkness

CENT1225

Postby CENT1225 » Tue Oct 25, 2016

Really liked the old format with the menu and especially the gold and silver charts right at the top.Used this site to constantly check the price of gold and silver. And to go to the gold and silver buy pages.
Now the price charts are buried at the bottom and only reached after eternal scrolling.
Why OH why do simple things have to change to become complicated??
To those that design this stuff...Think about how we use these pages...NOT how easy it is to design it!
Finally...this is constructive criticism...thanks for all you do.
Doug
Click the following link for** 1.1% CASHBACK ** on E-Bay

http://www.topcashback.com/ref/Cent

AGhead

Postby AGhead » Thu Nov 03, 2016

I listed 4) different USA stamp rolls for KSA. I used the "quick Reply" box, they all went to the same title list? :oops:
How can I fix/edit this
Proverbs 27:17 "As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."

PeacePeople

Postby PeacePeople » Fri Nov 04, 2016

AGhead wrote:I listed 4) different USA stamp rolls for KSA. I used the "quick Reply" box, they all went to the same title list? :oops:
How can I fix/edit this

Don't reply in the thread, make a new topic for each listing.
ImageImageImage

silverbender
Gold Supporter

Postby silverbender » Fri Nov 04, 2016

When at view new posts which is my home page ,have posts which I have read fall of the list when I refresh or come back to it.
It can get very cluttered requiring scanning it all again to make sure I am not missing a new post.
It gets insane during KSAs
edit: did not notice this is a very old thread ,thought it was from the recent upgrade lol.

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Wed Nov 23, 2016

I'd like to suggest an improvement that should be bumped to the very top of the list: encryption via HTTPS.

If the cost of an SSL Certificate is an issue, and this is useful info for anyone who runs a website, there is now a free (donations encouraged!) organization that solves that problem:

https://letsencrypt.org/

Let's Encrypt is a 501.3(c)(3) non-profit organization supported by the Linux Foundation. They've been in beta for about a year now, and to my knowledge they are the only reliable, official free source of SSL certificates that has ever existed.

ThePowersThatBe
Site Tech

Postby ThePowersThatBe » Wed Nov 23, 2016

Cost isn't the issue with HTTPS. It's a challenge to implement on a site like this because of all the outside content that gets embedded. Charts, photos, videos, avatars, signature images, the KSA countdown timer, etc. First all the various sites hosting that content have to have the ability to serve it over https (we would need to limit images to approved hosts), and then we need a way to force the embed link to https every time somebody posts a photo or video or whatever. Otherwise your browser will throw security warnings on every page that has a non-secure element embedded (which is just about every page of the site). Some browsers will pop up with warnings over and over and some will actually block the non-https content entirely so the site will look kind of broken.

phpBB themselves actually do run their site over https, but to do that they employ a proxy/relay server that fetches embedded content and then re-transmits it to the forum site over https so users don't get nailed with security warnings. It's a pretty involved system. If we just slapped a security certificate on here the site would end up looking less secure in the eyes of search engines and browsers because of all the non-secure embedded content.

I think there is some native functionality in phpBB to support serving just the login page over https. We would still have to do some work with the charts and some images but I think that would be doable. But trying to run the entire site over https is a MAJOR project.
(Realcent Admin)

PeacePeople

Postby PeacePeople » Fri Dec 02, 2016

There are times where it takes a very long time for a message to send to the user. IE I compose the message, click submit and it will take 30 seconds or more for it to "bite". The last one I sent the browser timed me out... just a heads up
ImageImageImage

jcz1

Postby jcz1 » Fri Dec 02, 2016

PeacePeople wrote:There are times where it takes a very long time for a message to send to the user. IE I compose the message, click submit and it will take 30 seconds or more for it to "bite". The last one I sent the browser timed me out... just a heads up

This has happened to me occasionally, but it has been going on since before the recent switch. I have found that the message itself is usually sent just fine, but the loading of the page that tells you so gets stalled. I now open a new tab and check the outbox, and if the sent message is there, I just use that new tab from that point on.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Tue Dec 13, 2016

I keep clicking PM when I mean to quote-reply in the thread, and don't realize it until after I send the message. Grrrrr. Pilot error.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Tue Dec 13, 2016

Long John wrote:I keep clicking PM when I mean to quote-reply in the thread, and don't realize it until after I send the message. Grrrrr. Pilot error.

ImageImageImage
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Tue Dec 13, 2016

Long John wrote:I keep clicking PM when I mean to quote-reply in the thread, and don't realize it until after I send the message. Grrrrr. Pilot error.

The PM button is the one that says "PM." The quote button is the one with the quotes. :mrgreen:

Return to “BS News!”