BS under attack

Announcements and Info
MaxGravy
Site Admin

BS under attack

Postby MaxGravy » Thu Jul 16, 2015

Russians are hammering our server attempting to break in to the back end. Since last night we've received almost 100 of these notices, 20 in the last hour:

A device at the “178.141.173.8” IP address has made a large number of invalid login attempts against the account “bullionstacker.com”. This brute force attempt has exceeded the maximum number of failed login attempts that the system allows. For security purposes, the system has temporarily blocked this IP address in order to prevent further attempts.

These attacks happen from time to time but this one is especially hard core. I'm posting as an FYI in case we go down or if some members get blocked from the site. If you're unable to log in, please let us know here: bullionstacker@ymail.com. You might want to save that email for future reference.

Иди к черту русских!
I'm clearly not very bright.

dbm300

Re: BS under attack

Postby dbm300 » Thu Jul 16, 2015

Damn hackers! I hope they get their fluffy kicked someday!
... and Bob's your uncle.

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Thu Jul 16, 2015

all of your gold it belong to us

DAH!
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

Purple and Gold

Postby Purple and Gold » Thu Jul 16, 2015

Thanks for the heads up. Excuse my ignorance but What exactly do the hackers want from BS?
ImageImageImage

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Purple and Gold wrote:Thanks for the heads up. Excuse my ignorance but What exactly do the hackers want from BS?

Spammers try to make accounts and post ads but we have a pretty good system to keep them out.

These hackers are trying to take over the server. They're using brute force to hack the main password. In the last hour they've really stepped it up, about 50 attempts. The server automatically blocks their IP but they seem to have unlimited resources. It's usually the Chinese but these recent attacks are all coming from Russia and Ukraine.

vanquish
Gold Supporter

Postby vanquish » Thu Jul 16, 2015

Might be time to upgrade the main password to 3 digits. :lol:

Purple and Gold

Such sad countries that China and Russia are. Thanks to the admin for all the work that you do.
Recently i saw where almost any password can be hacked in a matter of seconds, using some kind of program that can randomly try tens of thousands of possible PW's per second
ImageImageImage

MaxGravy
Site Admin

vanquish wrote:Might be time to upgrade the main password to 3 digits. :lol:

We added a 4 to the end: password1234 :lol:

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Purple and Gold wrote:Such sad countries that China and Russia are. Thanks to the admin for all the work that you do.
Recently i saw where almost any password can be hacked in a matter of seconds, using some kind of program that can randomly try tens of thousands of possible PW's per second

Our server security only allows 5 attempts and then that IP gets blocked. Also, they dont know the login name so they have to guess at that as well.

Purple and Gold

MaxGravy wrote:
Purple and Gold wrote:Such sad countries that China and Russia are. Thanks to the admin for all the work that you do.

Our server security only allows 5 attempts and then that IP gets blocked. Also, they dont know the login name so they have to guess at that as well.

Good Job :thumbup:
ImageImageImage

shinnosuke

Postby shinnosuke » Thu Jul 16, 2015

I propose a BS meet-up at the Russian embassy in Washington, District of Criminals.

Recluse
Gold Supporter

Postby Recluse » Thu Jul 16, 2015

It had been a while since I tried to calculate the possible combinations for a password. If you can use all 128 ascii characters and use a password 8 characters long you have 128^8 combinations. If you calculate that then divide it by 20,000 tries per second it would take 114246 years to try every possible combination. IF my math is right.

Edited once because my math was wrong
Edited twice because I was right the first time
ImageImage

dae2dae
Gold Jester

Postby dae2dae » Thu Jul 16, 2015

MaxGravy wrote:

We added a 4 to the end: password1234 :lol:

“Paper is poverty, it is only the ghost of money, and not money itself.” Thomas Jefferson
ImageImageImageImage

Silversaving
Platinum Supporter

Postby Silversaving » Thu Jul 16, 2015

BS = Last bastion of freedom and liberty. Under attack from the forces of evil :angel:
ImageSeeking Rodebaugh Serial #'s 9 & 23.

BarsandStars
Turtle Supporter

Postby BarsandStars » Thu Jul 16, 2015

The password is ...

"that's amazing...that's the same combination on my luggage!"

EDIT: damnit, Dorean beat me to the spaceballs reference. lol
Joining Binance to trade cryptos? Click my referral link below!
www.binance.com/?ref=20981136

InfleXion

Postby InfleXion » Thu Jul 16, 2015

There's no guarantee the hacker is from the country where the IP address indicates. Any hacker who doesn't tunnel through other compromised boxes will get caught in a hurry.

If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to e-mail the logs to the ISP.
Silver: the Rodney Dangerfield of precious metals.

Be wary of he who would deny you access to information,
for in his heart he dreams himself your master.

http://search.lores.eu/indexo.htm

CCC2010
Turtle Supporter

Postby CCC2010 » Thu Jul 16, 2015

Can we hire some Whitehat badass hacker of our own to develop some sort of a defense to the BS system so that if they try to breach our walls again that we can launch a counter attack or something that will infect and breach their system like Termite eating their servers and burning everything in its path causing them catastrophic systems failure? :shh:
Image WTB:6 oz YPS Golf Ball. Pls.PM me.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

InfleXion wrote:If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to e-mail the logs to the ISP.

We have a great host. They've been emailing me the logs. ;)

joefro
Site Tech

Postby joefro » Thu Jul 16, 2015

t458
Turtle Supporter

Postby t458 » Thu Jul 16, 2015

I think other countries can also route through Russian ISPs to attack elsewhere. No long ago the US shutdown the North Korean internet for several hours (in retaliation for their attack on Japanese company Sony), by hacking through Chinese ISPs, since the North Korea's internet is only through China. So it's entirely possible and has been done before. There may also be foreigners in Russia using ISPs there to hack other countries.

I wouldn't trust ISP addresses to determine who the attackers are. After all, IP addresses are furnished by the routers of sender at each hop, per IP protocol guideline, like the address a sender prints on the envelope of a letter. Both the hardware router and software can be changed to provide false information. A sophisticated attacker can even design their own router with builtin back-doors to defeat the tracking protocol. This is not high tech nowadays.

Only unsophisticated attackers write their real address on the envelops.

Actually the only sure way to know where the attack comes from is through real intelligence. For example, the US knows certain attacks came from certain China military org because they have themselves hacked into the Chinese military computers, located the very building where the attackers worked, AND actually planted surveillance cameras in that office to actually view the attacks taking place. One "insider" joked that if the Chinese were daring enough people to attack the US sites, at least they should dress respectfully, and not wear their pajamas while doing it! I watched a China Forum (American) interview on Youtube that talked about how this is done. The moral is that everybody attacks, the less sophisticated ones get caught and exposed.

Personally I think if there's a government interested in our BS forum, that would most likely be our own government. If it's an individual or a private org, then it doesn't matter what country they operate from. There're sneaky people every where.

Return to “BS News!”