The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
CaptainW
Platinum Supporter

Re: The Bitcoin (crypto) Beginner's Guide

Postby CaptainW » Mon Sep 24, 2018

Silversaving wrote:
CaptainW wrote:
Silversaving wrote:When I swapped phones, I just logged into the site using my laptop, turned off 2fa. Took out my new phone and turned 2fa back on using it. Took 15 seconds

Sounds simple enough.
So just load the 2FA apps on the new phone and turn it back on? Do you have to re-scan bar codes?

Yeah, that's how i remember it. I logged into the site using my old phone with it's 2FA on. I then went to settings and disabled 2FA. I then got my new phone (after D/Ling 2FA app for it) and turned 2FA back on for the site. it had me go though the whole process of scanning the code again for the new phone app but simple enough. Then done!

Many thanks! Much simpler than described in my internet search.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Fri Oct 05, 2018

Silversaving wrote:
CaptainW wrote:
Silversaving wrote:When I swapped phones, I just logged into the site using my laptop, turned off 2fa. Took out my new phone and turned 2fa back on using it. Took 15 seconds

Sounds simple enough.
So just load the 2FA apps on the new phone and turn it back on? Do you have to re-scan bar codes?

Yeah, that's how i remember it. I logged into the site using my old phone with it's 2FA on. I then went to settings and disabled 2FA. I then got my new phone (after D/Ling 2FA app for it) and turned 2FA back on for the site. it had me go though the whole process of scanning the code again for the new phone app but simple enough. Then done!

I did this same thing before leaving Italy and getting a new US cell phone and number. I had to do this on 8 different exchanges! :lol:

CaptainW
Platinum Supporter

Postby CaptainW » Fri Oct 05, 2018

SilverDoge wrote:
Silversaving wrote:
CaptainW wrote:

Sounds simple enough.

I did this same thing before leaving Italy and getting a new US cell phone and number. I had to do this on 8 different exchanges! :lol:

I’ve been traveling so I still haven’t made the switch. Does it work with Bittrex too? I ask because the reply I got from their support team indicated a much more complex process. I’m guessing they didnt understand the situation. Regardless, it’s forcing to do what I should’ve already done,,,,,empty the account as a precaution against getting locked out.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Fri Oct 05, 2018

CaptainW wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:
Silversaving wrote:
CaptainW wrote:

Sounds simple enough.

I’ve been traveling so I still haven’t made the switch. Does it work with Bittrex too? I ask because the reply I got from their support team indicated a much more complex process. I’m guessing they didnt understand the situation. Regardless, it’s forcing to do what I should’ve already done,,,,,empty the account as a precaution against getting locked out.

Right before I left Italy I cancelled all 2FA on all exchanges because I knew I wouldn't have access to my old Italian phone or number. Then when I got a new US phone and number I re-activated 2FA after downloading google authenticate on my new phone. It worked with Bittrex and all the others.

CaptainW
Platinum Supporter

Postby CaptainW » Fri Oct 05, 2018

SilverDoge wrote:
CaptainW wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:
Silversaving wrote:
CaptainW wrote:

Sounds simple enough.

Right before I left Italy I cancelled all 2FA on all exchanges because I knew I wouldn't have access to my old Italian phone or number. Then when I got a new US phone and number I re-activated 2FA after downloading google authenticate on my new phone. It worked with Bittrex and all the others.

Thanks!

Walkabout

Postby Walkabout » Wed Apr 17, 2019

ok here is a dumb question.

regarding cold storage.

lets say I buy bitcoin on coinbase.

i want to store cold. i need the "private key."

how do I get my private key from coinbase without them also having access to it and knowing what it is?

like I said dumb question, but help is appreciated.

Silversaving
Platinum Supporter

Postby Silversaving » Wed Apr 17, 2019

You'd have to transfer said bitcoin off coinbase to a private wallet only you control the keys to. Most prefer to use solutions such as trezor or keepkey etc to store their own coins
ImageSeeking Rodebaugh Serial #'s 9 & 23.

CaptainW
Platinum Supporter

Postby CaptainW » Thu Apr 18, 2019

Anyone having issues exporting tokens from MEW using ledger nano?
I keep getting an error message. I tried two browsers and neither worked.
Firmware is up to date.

gramcracker
Turtle Supporter

Postby gramcracker » Thu Apr 18, 2019

CaptainW wrote:Anyone having issues exporting tokens from MEW using ledger nano?
Firmware is up to date.

I am not sure if this is related but I also have had no luck using ledger to export eth. Of course that now requires integration with MEW. I contacted support who has given up on me. Ever since ledger live was introduced my portfolio balance (USD) has been wildly incorrect but number of coins is ok. For now I have just given up. I am considering moving to another wallet but that will take some research. 24 word seed should work in any wallet with 24 word seed. I have had no problems with btc code based coins like ltc and dash. If you find a solution send up a flare to give me hope.
Don't believe everything you think.

CaptainW
Platinum Supporter

Postby CaptainW » Thu Apr 18, 2019

gramcracker wrote:
CaptainW wrote:Anyone having issues exporting tokens from MEW using ledger nano?
Firmware is up to date.

I am not sure if this is related but I also have had no luck using ledger to export eth. Of course that now requires integration with MEW. I contacted support who has given up on me. Ever since ledger live was introduced my portfolio balance (USD) has been wildly incorrect but number of coins is ok. For now I have just given up. I am considering moving to another wallet but that will take some research. 24 word seed should work in any wallet with 24 word seed. I have had no problems with btc code based coins like ltc and dash. If you find a solution send up a flare to give me hope.

I finally received a response from MEW support.
This is what they suggested:

"Please try these steps.

First, make sure your device's firmware is updated to the latest version!

Go onto your Ledger hardware wallet device and unplug, then plug it back in and unlock it.

Make sure no other apps using the Ledger are open, (Ledger Live automatically opens when you connect the Ledger, so make sure you close out of it!)

Head into the Ethereum section on your device, and then go into 'Settings'.

Make sure Contract Data is turned to 'Yes'.
(If you see 'Browser Support', then your device is not updated.)

Now you should be all set! If that still doesn't work, please try another cable.

If this doesnt work. Then I would suggest contacting ledger."

I'm not sure what "ledger live" is but I'll see if I can find it when I connect. Disregarding that step, I've tried all of their suggestions without success. My next step will be to contact Ledger support.

Edit: Not sure what it means, but when I first started the process of trying to get DBET tokens to a wallet, I was able to transfer ETH between MEW accounts. Now I cannot.
And I do not see "ledger live". Therefore I can't close it out. :evil:
Any idea what they are talking about?

Edit #2: So I changed cables and was able to transfer both ETH and DBET between MEW wallets. Unfortunately, I am traveling and just realized I didn't bring my DBET wallet passphrase. Ugh!!
But at least I have some hope now of making the transfer. Not sure what could be wrong with the cable that came with the ledger nano.

gramcracker
Turtle Supporter

Postby gramcracker » Fri Apr 19, 2019

CaptainW wrote:
gramcracker wrote:
Firmware is up to date.

"Please try these steps.

Go onto your Ledger hardware wallet device and unplug, then plug it back in and unlock it.

Make sure no other apps using the Ledger are open, (Ledger Live automatically opens when you connect the Ledger, so make sure you close out of it!)

Now you should be all set! If that still doesn't work, please try another cable.

I'm not sure what "ledger live" is but I'll see if I can find it when I connect. Disregarding that step, I've tried all of their suggestions without success. My next step will be to contact Ledger support.

Edit: Not sure what it means, but when I first started the process of trying to get DBET tokens to a wallet, I was able to transfer ETH between MEW accounts. Now I cannot.

Edit #2: So I changed cables and was able to transfer both ETH and DBET between MEW wallets. Unfortunately, I am traveling and just realized I didn't bring my DBET wallet passphrase. Ugh!!
But at least I have some hope now of making the transfer. Not sure what could be wrong with the cable that came with the ledger nano.

This is a bit different than the instruction I got. As far as Ledger Live: Ledger has discontinued Chrome apps, which seems a good thing. I downloaded and installed Ledger Live, a while back, for desktop but suspect you need a mobile or I would provide link. My guess is Ledger Live was a bit hasty and has some bugs. All my apps work fine in LIVE except ETH. It seems your cable has resolved your issue except possibly exporting eth and mew out of ledger to exchanges? Let us know. Perhaps smarter users of Ledger could help. I do not count myself in that group.
Don't believe everything you think.

satosan
Platinum Supporter

Postby satosan » Fri Apr 19, 2019

I was able to transfer ETH from my Ledger to my Keepkey via vintage.myetherwallet
http://www.satosanmetals.com "Limited Mintage Silver"
Accepting: Bitcoin(BTC), BitcoinCash(BCH), Etherum(ETH), LiteCoin(LTC), DASH, Dogecoin(DOGE), VertCoin(VTC).
ImageImageImage

CaptainW
Platinum Supporter

Postby CaptainW » Fri Apr 19, 2019

Bucketeer wrote:
gramcracker wrote:
CaptainW wrote:
gramcracker wrote:
Firmware is up to date.

"Please try these steps.

This is a bit different than the instruction I got. As far as Ledger Live: Ledger has discontinued Chrome apps, which seems a good thing. I downloaded and installed Ledger Live, a while back, for desktop but suspect you need a mobile or I would provide link. My guess is Ledger Live was a bit hasty and has some bugs. All my apps work fine in LIVE except ETH. It seems your cable has resolved your issue except possibly exporting eth and mew out of ledger to exchanges? Let us know. Perhaps smarter users of Ledger could help. I do not count myself in that group.

This conversation should be in the Alt-Coins topic. Thanks. :thumbup:

I realize you fancy yourself as the resident expert in all things but I would think the "beginner's guide" is the appropriate place for people that don't know what they are doing. And conversely, if you're not going to offer any assistance, it's the wrong place for someone with your vast knowledge and expertise.

CaptainW
Platinum Supporter

Postby CaptainW » Fri Apr 19, 2019

satosan wrote:I was able to transfer ETH from my Ledger to my Keepkey via vintage.myetherwallet

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Fri Apr 19, 2019

CaptainW wrote:
satosan wrote:I was able to transfer ETH from my Ledger to my Keepkey via vintage.myetherwallet

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

I feel bad boys, I have only used a KeepKey and a Trezor. I know the ledger is the more popular device but I have no experience with it. Trezor is my preferred device now.

DanRitz
Turtle Supporter

Postby DanRitz » Sun Apr 21, 2019

It's been 2 weeks now and I still can't start up a coinbase account. I've talked with customer service. Started up a new bank account. Now I just got locked out of my account for seven days to put in a new bank account. This maybe should be in the ranting section but dam so far cryptos suck for me.

Ps I'm still have a lot to learn with computers and all but I was told it should take 10 minutes max to set up an account.

Dan

CaptainW
Platinum Supporter

Postby CaptainW » Sun Apr 21, 2019

DanRitz wrote:It's been 2 weeks now and I still can't start up a coinbase account. I've talked with customer service. Started up a new bank account. Now I just got locked out of my account for seven days to put in a new bank account. This maybe should be in the ranting section but dam so far cryptos suck for me.

Ps I'm still have a lot to learn with computers and all but I was told it should take 10 minutes max to set up an account.

Dan

Hang in there. It will get easier.

And then likely a lot more difficult :twisted:
The constant changes and upgrades are a PITA. I’m now wishing I’d only bought BTC to avoid these headaches.

Rik Bitter
Gold Jester

Postby Rik Bitter » Mon May 13, 2019

I need a cold storage wallet. Could someone explain the differences between the Trezor One and the Trezor Model T? I'm still too noob to understand the descriptions properly. Amazon has the One on sale for $40 (reg $80) but the T is $159.
*** LOOKING FOR YPS #17 & 18s. Please contact me if you have any for sale.***

ImageImage

Silversaving
Platinum Supporter

Postby Silversaving » Mon May 13, 2019

Rik Bitter wrote:I need a cold storage wallet. Could someone explain the differences between the Trezor One and the Trezor Model T? I'm still too noob to understand the descriptions properly. Amazon has the One on sale for $40 (reg $80) but the T is $159.

The regular old trezors (of which i have 2) plug into your computer via a usb port and access a program on your computer to get to your btc.
The new Trezors(from what I hear) connect directly into your cellphones charging port to access your btc from phones
ImageSeeking Rodebaugh Serial #'s 9 & 23.

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”