Alt-Coin NEO (formerly Antshares)

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Re: Alt-Coin NEO (formerly Antshares)

Postby SilverDoge » Mon Jan 29, 2018

Did the APEX ICO (running on NEO) just get hacked? Not a good look for us.

Silversaving
Platinum Supporter

Postby Silversaving » Mon Jan 29, 2018

SilverDoge wrote:Did the APEX ICO (running on NEO) just get hacked? Not a good look for us.

Hacker hacked their website and substituted in his personal NEO address. Got a bit over 1k neo before they caught it and took their website down. They did the rest of the ICO though their telegram and twitter. APEX was real professional about it and will give anyone that sent their NEO to the wrong address the full APEX tokens they would have received.
Seeking a few Rodebaugh Bars. Looking for a series #1, Fat Boy, 2015 100g, & 2012 classic bar. Also collecting the #9 serial on any of his other pieces.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Mon Jan 29, 2018

That hack method, which has nothing to do with Neo specifically, is both the easiest and the safest for the hacker. Instead of invasively stealing crypto from a protected wallet or exchange, find the weakest point (a website's top layer) and trick people into sending the crypto to a wrong address. The price we pay for one of crypto's key features is that decent, honest people are not the only ones who can stay anonymous.

Silversummit
Turtle Supporter

Postby Silversummit » Wed Jan 31, 2018

For anyone wanting to move NEO off bittrex they have opened the wallet a short bit ago for transfers. I got my last few off there.
Get $10 in bitcoin when you spend $100 with the link below.
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593f314703c4930098573eed

save 10% on all trade fee's for 6 months at gate exchange.
https://gate.io/signup/955279

binance
https://www.binance.com/?ref=13221361
thank you to any who use these links as I get referral bonuses also :thumbup:

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Wed Jan 31, 2018

Silversummit wrote:For anyone wanting to move NEO off bittrex they have opened the wallet a short bit ago for transfers. I got my last few off there.

Bittrex can't do math :roll:

neo1.JPG
neo1.JPG (21.7 KiB) Viewed 980 times

neo2.JPG
neo2.JPG (19.59 KiB) Viewed 980 times

Silversummit
Turtle Supporter

Postby Silversummit » Wed Jan 31, 2018

natsb88 wrote:
Silversummit wrote:For anyone wanting to move NEO off bittrex they have opened the wallet a short bit ago for transfers. I got my last few off there.

Bittrex can't do math :roll:

neo1.JPG

neo2.JPG

Huh I didn't have to add that last 1 and still got the whole transfer.
Get $10 in bitcoin when you spend $100 with the link below.
https://www.coinbase.com/join/593f314703c4930098573eed

save 10% on all trade fee's for 6 months at gate exchange.
https://gate.io/signup/955279

binance
https://www.binance.com/?ref=13221361
thank you to any who use these links as I get referral bonuses also :thumbup:

Silversaving
Platinum Supporter

Postby Silversaving » Thu Feb 01, 2018

saw this and thought some of you might like it.
https://www.neoico.io/
Seeking a few Rodebaugh Bars. Looking for a series #1, Fat Boy, 2015 100g, & 2012 classic bar. Also collecting the #9 serial on any of his other pieces.

Southpaw
Gold Supporter

Postby Southpaw » Thu Feb 01, 2018

Silversaving wrote:saw this and thought some of you might like it.
https://www.neoico.io/

Interesting one of the ICOs is called THOR which VeChain is also using.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Feb 04, 2018

SilverDoge wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:
Silversaving wrote:There isn't an argument at hand....
NEO Devs (expecially CoZ folks) are a damned good group of folks. Intelligent and engaging. Feel free to drop buy NEO discord anytime and ask them...they will answer you best they can. I have zero "cred" there, I'm just a guy. I would not understand the technicals if they explained it to me.

I don't understand why you are so upset about an ICO moving to NEO to be more quantum resistant. Seems smart to me.

I am not at all upset about an ICO moving to NEO. That was merely one of several reasons the project switched to NEO. My concern is if NEO is really QC-secure or not - and is it now or is it a claim for the future of the blockchain? I'm guessing you underestimate your "cred" over there, but I will give it a try again and see if I can get some resolution in Discord in the dev-general channel. More to follow.

Update: The last 3 days I have posted the below in the NEO dev-general channel. The only response I've received is "maybe erik can answer". I've watched as nearly all other questions other people are asking are getting answered. So I post the same question again. I've posted this 4-5 times in the channel and received no response of any substance. Now I am going to switch to the NEO support channel (even though it isn't a support issue) but it is getting frustrating. Seems like some dev ought to be able to answer this question.....

Can anyone point me to more information on answers on NEOQS?
I've read this paragraph about NEO: "The emergence of quantum computers poses a major challenge to RSA and ECC-based cryptographic mechanisms. Quantum computers can solve the large number of decomposition problems (which RSA relies on) and the elliptic curve discrete logarithm (which ECC relies on) in a very short time. NeoQS (Quantum Safe) is a lattice-based cryptographic mechanism. At present, quantum computers do not have the ability to quickly solve the Shortest Vector Problem (SVP) and the Closest Vector Problem (CVP), which is considered to be the most reliable algorithm for resisting quantum computers."
Which lattice based cryptographic mechanism is currently (or in the future?) being utilized?

Finally got a response. I've asked at least 8-10 times now and this was the convo:

ME: Can anyone point me to more information on answers on NEOQS? Which lattice based cryptographic mechanism is currently (or in the future?) being utilized?
Glancing at the Github page, it seems like NEO is using SHA256 with RIPEMD160 (The same thing that Bitcoin is using). Are there any additional references stating that something new will be implemented? Thanks. https://github.com/neo-project/neo/blob/master/neo/Cryptography/Crypto.cs

Response from CoZ DEV Shargon: I think that the team are currently work in this proposal and is not defined yet, as you can see in the proposals page https://github.com/neo-project/proposals Until the specific specifications of that proposal are defined, I am sorry I can not help you in that regard. I'm sure NEO will choose the safest of them.

Conclusion: NEO is in a similar boat to ADA. Both are considering the best methods for becoming quantum secure in the future. While this is a good step, it does confirm my belief that none of them will be QC-safe from genesis block, and therefore some portion of coin will be at risk for those who don't eventually upgrade their wallet/software to the newest stuff. A good first step anyway by the NEO team and I hope they are successful.

I have about an equal amount (in USD) in NEO & QRL so I want both projects to succeed.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Mon Feb 05, 2018

MaxGravy wrote:
texmex66 wrote:Binance also gives you GAS but once a month.

Thanks. I only have three that I picked up on the dip so will leave them be.

NEO gave me GAS today so now I'm looking for some BEANO. :P
Image Image Image
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Wed Feb 07, 2018

NEO is back to being tied as my largest holding (with QRL) again after this dip when I traded a couple BTC for some NEO. I use to be able to get four or five hundred NEO per BTC, but those days are long gone. Now just to get 100 NEO per BTC is a win.

NEO January update: https://neo.org/blog/details/3060

fmsfms2003

Postby fmsfms2003 » Wed Feb 07, 2018

I finally got the neo I bought on Bittrex out of there. I missed the last couple of times they opened the wallet.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Wed Feb 07, 2018

SilverDoge wrote:NEO is back to being tied as my largest holding (with QRL) again after this dip when I traded a couple BTC for some NEO.

Did NEO dip more than BTC? I wish I'd been paying attention. I was focused on BTC/ETH and BTC/LTC.

Fabio

Postby Fabio » Wed Feb 07, 2018

Long John wrote:Did NEO dip more than BTC? I wish I'd been paying attention. I was focused on BTC/ETH and BTC/LTC.

I don't think it dipped as bad as BTC.
"LiteCoin, the original shitcoin" - Fabio 2018

joefro
Site Tech

Postby joefro » Wed Feb 07, 2018

NEO is still more than double what it was at the beginning of December. BTC is currently less than it was at the beginning of Dec.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Fabio wrote:
Long John wrote:Did NEO dip more than BTC? I wish I'd been paying attention. I was focused on BTC/ETH and BTC/LTC.

I'm glad. Many alts did tank worse than BTC. Which makes sense. If you're going to panic-sell Bitcoin, you probably have even less faith in your alts. But NEO has had a stronger base of believers than most alts.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Long John wrote:
Fabio wrote:

I'm glad. Many alts did tank worse than BTC. Which makes sense. If you're going to panic-sell Bitcoin, you probably have even less faith in your alts. But NEO has had a stronger base of believers than most alts.

I was merely referring to this dip here. I got some more in the white box.

When measured in dollars (USDT) it appears like a greater dip because obviously BTC was crashing too:

Long John
Turtle Supporter

SilverDoge wrote:I was merely referring to this dip here. I got some more in the white box.

Is that perfect timing or what? :thumbup: In that small window, at least, it did crash harder than BTC. And I wasn't watching. :cry:

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Wed Feb 07, 2018

SilverDoge wrote: <snip> Conclusion: NEO is in a similar boat to ADA. Both are considering the best methods for becoming quantum secure in the future. <snip>

Are ANY of the Cryptocurrencies Quantum resistant? IOTA? QRL in time?

Should this be in a different discussion?
"You pompously call your selves Republicans and Democrats. There is no Republican Party. There is no Democratic Party. There are no Republicans or Democrats in this house. You are Lick-Spittlers and panderers, the creatures of the plutocracy".
- Jack London

"It is a government of corporations, by corporations, and for corporations."
- Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Brick's wrote:
SilverDoge wrote: <snip> Conclusion: NEO is in a similar boat to ADA. Both are considering the best methods for becoming quantum secure in the future. <snip>

Are ANY of the Cryptocurrencies Quantum resistant? IOTA? QRL in time?

Should this be in a different discussion?

IOTA isn't a blockchain, it is a Tangle (DAG). QRL will be quantum resistant after MainNet launch (Q1 2018). Ideally NEO will also get there one day, but it will require a hard fork or conversion of all wallets (but the problem is you never get 100% of coin to migrate).

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”