Alt-Coin Quantum Resistance Ledger (QRL)

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Re: Alt-Coin Quantum Resistance Ledger (QRL)

Postby SilverDoge » Tue Dec 12, 2017

When I read articles like this, it is easy to see why a person can be so bullish on QRL. Security is everything in crypto.

http://www.eweek.com/development/microsoft-releases-free-preview-of-quantum-development-kit

Microsoft wants developers to get an early start on quantum programming with the release of its Quantum Development Kit, currently in beta.

First announced in September during the Microsoft Ignite conference, the kit includes the Q# (Q-sharp) programming language and a simulator for developers interested in creating programs for quantum computers, even if they're not experts in quantum physics, according to the software maker. To drum up interest and lower barriers to entry, the kit allows interested developers to dip their toes into the world of quantum coding using familiar tools.

Microsoft, Google, Intel, IBM, D-Wave all these companies are working towards quantum supremacy. Only people looking forward and searching these things out are aware of this. The above article concludes with a solution...

During September's Open Source Summit in Los Angeles, Konstantinos Karagiannis, CTO of Security Consulting at BT Americas, warned in a session that quantum computing can pose risks to cryptography and Bitcoin. Quantum computing could make cracking the cryptocurrencies trivially easy, he cautioned while urging the development of new technologies like Quantum-Resistant Ledger (QRL) to safeguard data in a post-quantum world.

EDIT to add this Microsoft published video:

joefro
Site Tech

Postby joefro » Tue Dec 12, 2017

Can you not trade ETH into QRL on Bittrex? I'd like to convert about $200 in ETH into QRL so I signed up for a Bittrex account but it is a lot more confusing than plain old coinbase. I am not seeing an ETH-QRL market, or maybe I am searching wrong?

Shippeevt
Turtle Supporter

Postby Shippeevt » Tue Dec 12, 2017

joefro wrote:Can you not trade ETH into QRL on Bittrex? I'd like to convert about $200 in ETH into QRL so I signed up for a Bittrex account but it is a lot more confusing than plain old coinbase. I am not seeing an ETH-QRL market, or maybe I am searching wrong?

Yes you can. In the ethereum market place type in qrl in the search bar it should pop up. Once you get the hang of it's not bad. I was confused at first too.
Looking for graded 1/4 oz gold proof libertads 2005-09 2017

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Wed Dec 13, 2017

Shippeevt wrote:
joefro wrote:Can you not trade ETH into QRL on Bittrex? I'd like to convert about $200 in ETH into QRL so I signed up for a Bittrex account but it is a lot more confusing than plain old coinbase. I am not seeing an ETH-QRL market, or maybe I am searching wrong?

Yes you can. In the ethereum market place type in qrl in the search bar it should pop up. Once you get the hang of it's not bad. I was confused at first too.

This will take you directly there: https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=eth-qrl

Relative to bitcoin & ETH it is definitely on sale.

joefro
Site Tech

Postby joefro » Wed Dec 13, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:
Shippeevt wrote:

This will take you directly there: https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=eth-qrl

Thanks, I do see that now. I was searching for "ETH-QRL" instead of just QRL and I guess it didn't like that. So under the markets page, I see Bitcoin, Etherium, and USDT markets. I don't see a Lightcoin market. Is it possible to trade Lightcoin directly into other lightcoins or do you have to exchange it into BTC/ETH/USDT first and then to the desired coin? Sorry for the noob question. I looked around the market page but couldn't see a place to search for LTC-QRL.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Wed Dec 13, 2017

joefro wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:
Shippeevt wrote:

Thanks, I do see that now. I was searching for "ETH-QRL" instead of just QRL and I guess it didn't like that. So under the markets page, I see Bitcoin, Etherium, and USDT markets. I don't see a Lightcoin market. Is it possible to trade Lightcoin directly into other lightcoins or do you have to exchange it into BTC/ETH/USDT first and then to the desired coin? Sorry for the noob question. I looked around the market page but couldn't see a place to search for LTC-QRL.

Currently Bittrex just has those 3 market trading pairs. Another way to look quickly, without going to each exchange is to look at the "markets" tab of the coin in question on CMC.

For example: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/quantum-resistant-ledger/#markets
Here we see the volumes and trading pairs for the coin we are interested in. So if all you have is LiteCoin (LTC) you'd be best to send the LTC to Bittrex, trade it for BTC, and then use the BTC-QRL pair.

joefro
Site Tech

Postby joefro » Wed Dec 13, 2017

Copy that, thanks for the help.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Fri Dec 15, 2017

An update from the founder on QRL progress:
https://medium.com/the-quantum-resistant-ledger/statefulness-and-security-fd0a5c07e7b6

It will get here faster than we think:

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Dec 17, 2017

There are a number of crypto project that put something to the effect of "implement quantum resistance" on their Roadmaps. Sounds easy, right?

Here is an example: ADA.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cardano/comments/7k8xub/cardano_plans_to_use_bliss_as_a_quantumresistant/

Leon, the presenter below, is on the QRL team and is a PhD student of post quantum cryptography. Smart dude, who shows how BLISS is not quantum secure in this presentation.

joefro
Site Tech

Postby joefro » Thu Dec 21, 2017

QRL trying hard to bust through $2 and stay there right now. :pop:

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Thu Dec 21, 2017

joefro wrote:QRL trying hard to bust through $2 and stay there right now. :pop:

I was waiting for anyone but me to say something :clap:

QRL at $2.png
QRL at $2.png (45.05 KiB) Viewed 1412 times

joefro
Site Tech

Postby joefro » Thu Dec 21, 2017

SD, your enthusiasm about this coin is part of what convinced me to buy a position at $1.22 only 8 days ago. :shock:

Thanks!

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Tue Dec 26, 2017

Thanks to the Edward Snowden leaks, this article reveals that the NSA spent $79 million on a project to acquire quantum computing supremacy in order to break our common encryption,. This article is now 4 YEARS OLD. Meaning this all happened over 4 years ago. How far have they gotten since then?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/nsa-seeks-to-build-quantum-computer-that-could-crack-most-types-of-encryption/2014/01/02/8fff297e-7195-11e3-8def-a33011492df2_story.html?utm_term=.6e6fd522139b

the National Security Agency is racing to build a computer that could break nearly every kind of encryption used to protect banking, medical, business and government records around the world.

According to documents provided by former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, the effort to build “a cryptologically useful quantum computer” — a machine exponentially faster than classical computers — is part of a $79.7 million research program titled “Penetrating Hard Targets.”

With such technology, all current forms of public key encryption would be broken, including those used on many secure Web sites as well as the type used to protect state secrets.

Experts are not sure how soon a quantum computer would be feasible. A decade ago, some experts said that developing a large quantum computer was likely 10 to 100 years in the future. Five years ago, Lloyd said the goal was at least 10 years away.
... that would be 2020 (now 2 years away).

“The irony of quantum computing is that if you can imagine someone building a quantum computer that can break encryption a few decades into the future, then you need to be worried right now,”

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Dec 31, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:I follow 2 projects quite closely: QRL & DBET. QRL has an announcement coming out before the EOY. Nobody in the community even knows what will be announced but I have guesses: 1) 2018 marketing plan, 2) updated roadmap, 3) MainNet estimate (hopefully not a delay), 4) AMA with founder Peter, 5) Timeline for establishing the QRL foundation, 6) new team members announced, 7) potential conference attendance schedule for next year.

And here is the announcement from the QRL team on New Year's Eve from the founder:
https://medium.com/the-quantum-resistant-ledger/get-ready-for-qrl-launch-b078963d035e

1) Instead of doing a MainNet with a PoS (Proof of Stake) chain, QRL made a big decision earlier this month to launch sooner with a temporary proof-of-work(POW) algorithm — cryptonight, used on monero/XMR, and hard fork to POS in Q3 2018. Proof-of-work is battle-tested in the wild since 2009 and is massively simpler to integrate. They have already fully adapted the qrlcore to POW in the private developer testnet and aim to launch in mid Q1 2018 with an internal countdown already started. Feature freeze has occurred already. They are preparing for external audit. As part of the regular hard fork schedule, QRL will hard fork to a pure POS blockchain in Q3 2018.

2) Token migration allowing users to move their ERC20 token balance to a burn address and be automatically included in mainnet launch will open next month (January).

3) Discussions with new exchange(s) are ongoing; the team is not at liberty to reveal anything new at this time in regards to which exchange(s).

4) QRL will be announcing three new full-time members of the team working in UX, mobile and an additional core developer.

5) The team is working very hard to implement full XMSS signing on the Ledger Nano, and expect a prototype WhatsApp-style PQ-secure messaging app to be available around the time of MainNet launch to show off early Ephemeral capabilities.

6) Conference attendance schedule for the first half of 2018 is outlined with at least 4 conferences.

joefro
Site Tech

Postby joefro » Sun Dec 31, 2017

What are your thoughts on them accelerating the deployment via a PoW algorithm? Are they rushing things unnecessarily to make it to market as quickly as possible, or a wise project decision?

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Dec 31, 2017

joefro wrote:What are your thoughts on them accelerating the deployment via a PoW algorithm? Are they rushing things unnecessarily to make it to market as quickly as possible, or a wise project decision?

It is a wise project decision, even though I am a bit bummed I won't be able to stake until Q3 2018 now. If the PoS algorithm was going to take until Q3 with the audits and everything, it was smarter to launch and have the first quantum secure blockchain in the crypto space.

These guys have done a lot of work under the radar and it won't get taken seriously as an ERC-20 token (on the ETH network) by many people. So launching in February-ish, and hard-forking to the PoS protocol in Q3 is the right call. They can't do true marketing or public education, conferences, or many other aspects of crypto while being taken seriously unless they were actually running their own PQ-secure chain. Now they will be in the very near future.

SilverKing

Postby SilverKing » Sun Dec 31, 2017

Great way to start the year. QRL shows a lot of long-term promise.
https://medium.com/the-quantum-resistan ... 78963d035e
Mathematics is the music of reason.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Fri Jan 05, 2018

LiteCoin (LTC) founder Charlie Lee talks with CoinDesk and tells us about what he thinks are the 2 greatest threats to the crypto space. Can you guess what one is? Start at the 4:10 mark to skip to just that part:

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Fri Jan 05, 2018

Quantum Physics mentions something called the "free energy point". Have you ever heard that term associated with QRL?
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Fri Jan 05, 2018

Bucketeer wrote:Quantum Physics mentions something called the "free energy point". Have you ever heard that term associated with QRL?

No

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”