ETHEREUM

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Re: ETHEREUM

Postby Long John » Fri Jun 16, 2017

Back to pre-massacre levels ($350 range), but not to uneasy-making $400 level, which is fine with me.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sat Jun 17, 2017

Long John wrote:Back to pre-massacre levels ($350 range), but not to uneasy-making $400 level, which is fine with me.

What dip.

:lol:

Fabio

Postby Fabio » Sat Jun 17, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:What dip.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Fabio wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:What dip.

Nice! I was in Rome last night, and ironically we ate at a Mexican restaurant. Amazing guacamole and margaritas.

I knew ETH was going to be coming back strong, just didn't realize it would be so quick. I needed to load up on some more but now I have to pay full price again.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Sat Jun 17, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:I knew ETH was going to be coming back strong, just didn't realize it would be so quick. I needed to load up on some more but now I have to pay full price again.

Why not wait for the next dip, guacamole or otherwise? Unless you're converting something you didn't pay a lot for. I did that awhile back with LTC. In fact that's when I started this thread. That LTC is looking damn good now, worth 3X what I paid in USD. ETH's performance since then is some small consolation :lol:

Full price? What is full price? Today's price might something to laugh about in a month. I see crazy predictions. Since the crazy predictions from April have come true (well, not the craziest ones, yet) I can't dismiss them entirely.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Long John wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:I knew ETH was going to be coming back strong, just didn't realize it would be so quick. I needed to load up on some more but now I have to pay full price again.

Why not wait for the next dip, guacamole or otherwise? Unless you're converting something you didn't pay a lot for. I did that awhile back with LTC. In fact that's when I started this thread. That LTC is looking damn good now, worth 3X what I paid in USD. ETH's performance since then is some small consolation :lol:

congrats on that LTC, it will continue to do well at least until the August 1st bitcoin upgrade.

I am picking up ETH and bitcoin for upcoming crowdsales, so it will be deployed in the near future.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Sat Jun 17, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:congrats on that LTC, it will continue to do well at least until the August 1st bitcoin upgrade.

I sold it all last month to buy ETH. I did buy some back with ETH profit, but not enough it seems. I wonder if the upcoming BTC fork is what's driving interest in LTC.

texmex66

Postby texmex66 » Wed Jun 21, 2017

Coinbase: Ethereum transactions on hold while we investigate issues. 6/21/17. :pop:

Altima

Postby Altima » Wed Jun 21, 2017

I would advise against sending or receiving ETH at the moment, until miners clear out that backlog.
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Wed Jun 21, 2017

texmex66 wrote:Coinbase: Ethereum transactions on hold while we investigate issues. 6/21/17. :pop:

It is back near the $329 mark on Bittrex...

https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-ETH

But at $306 on GDAX

Interesting.

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Wed Jun 21, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:
texmex66 wrote:Coinbase: Ethereum transactions on hold while we investigate issues. 6/21/17. :pop:

It is back near the $329 mark on Bittrex...

https://bittrex.com/Market/Index?MarketName=BTC-ETH

But at $306 on GDAX

Interesting.

Ethereum Flash Crashes By 96% After Status ICO Clogs Network

While Bitcoin, and recent Chinese and Korean momentum favorite, Litecoin, have been relatively stable for much of the day, Ethereum suffered dramatic losses on Wednesday, sliding from $360 to $260 before rebounding, in the process experiencing what may have been its first flash crash, when it plunged by 96% from $315 to $13 on massive volume, before rebounding.

What catalyzed today's crash?

According to one explanation posted on the Ethereum reddit, the reason was an ICO, or initial coin offering, gone very wrong. As user emansipater explained around noon, or shortly before the selling onslaught began, the catalyst for the selling was the "badly designed" Status ICO.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-06-2 ... gs-network
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Wed Jun 21, 2017

It never got below $300 on Bittrex. It did fall into the $270s briefly on Coinbase, but I could do no business there at that moment. I did trade some BTC for just-under-$300 Ether on CB. I just couldn't resist, though my need is for BTC more than ETH at this point. I bet lots of people tried to buy ETH in the $270s on Coinbase but found it unresponsive at that price point.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Sat Jun 24, 2017

Regarding the "flash crash" of Ethereum on 6/21 (which happened only on GDAX), the vice president of GDAX has said they will credit back Ethereum to the victims of that event.

I'm of two minds about that. On one hand, if you have set margin calls and stop-loss orders that can drop almost to zero with no safety valve, well, that's the way you choose to play. On the other hand, nobody deserves to get the snot kicked out of them by a bizarre event that's almost like a lightning strike rather than a normal trading process. The stock exchanges will cancel flash crashes that fall far outside their standard-deviation models, so I suppose it's not so strange that a crypto exchange would do so.

But GDAX didn't have to. It's totally unregulated, and the only thing forcing them to do it is the horrible PR and the likelihood that people would run away from GDAX if they didn't.

Fusion

Postby Fusion » Sun Jun 25, 2017

I need an expert on Ethereum to contact me.
I had a call with the CEO of LIBRA this week for a FinTech project I'm doing for Goldman and I believe he confused me even more.
They have aligned with MONAX for smart contracts and I'm not certain either has longevity for this project.
Guns kill people the same way pencils misspell wurds.

ImageImageImage

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Jun 25, 2017

Fusion wrote:I need an expert on Ethereum to contact me.
I had a call with the CEO of LIBRA this week for a FinTech project I'm doing for Goldman and I believe he confused me even more.
They have aligned with MONAX for smart contracts and I'm not certain either has longevity for this project.

Bucketeer has been into ETH since its ICO.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Sun Jun 25, 2017

Wish I could help, but I'm no expert.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Wed Jun 28, 2017

Things were looking dicey during the crash, and Ethereum was hit harder than Bitcoin, but ETH has been boosted from a low of about $227 into the $290s at this hour. Woe to those who sold at the bottom, kudos to those who bought there.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Wed Jun 28, 2017

Long John wrote:Things were looking dicey during the crash, and Ethereum was hit harder than Bitcoin, but ETH has been boosted from a low of about $227 into the $290s at this hour. Woe to those who sold at the bottom, kudos to those who bought there.

I often wonder who are these people selling during a large dip. Do they not know how crypto markets work? :lol:

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Wed Jun 28, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:I often wonder who are these people selling during a large dip. Do they not know how crypto markets work? :lol:

The crypto markets go up, up, only up. There is infinite money coming in, everybody gets rich, nobody gets hurt ever, and unicorns frolic under rainbows.

That is the sort of belief that gets shattered and shaken out by a big drop. The reality-based trader sees big drops as part of the process, no less natural than big spikes, and an opportunity generously provided by panicked sellers. If I had loads of liquid cash and didn't already have a core position in ETH, I would have been buying left and right as the price plunged. In my situation the best I could do was convert some BTC to ETH, as the latter had crashed harder and made a favorable buying ratio. It got as low as .092,and is now back up to .112. I may convert some back to BTC (and LTC) now that the ratio makes that attractive, though ETH may not be done increasing against BTC. Also, being so ETH-heavy is not comfortable. I will be glad when Aug. 1 has come and gone and we have a better idea of what will happen with BTC.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Wed Jun 28, 2017

Long John wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:I often wonder who are these people selling during a large dip. Do they not know how crypto markets work? :lol:

The crypto markets go up, up, only up. There is infinite money coming in, everybody gets rich, nobody gets hurt ever, and unicorns frolic under rainbows.

That is the sort of belief that gets shattered and shaken out by a big drop. The reality-based trader sees big drops as part of the process, no less natural than big spikes, and an opportunity generously provided by panicked sellers. If I had loads of liquid cash and didn't already have a core position in ETH, I would have been buying left and right as the price plunged. In my situation the best I could do was convert some BTC to ETH, as the latter had crashed harder and made a favorable buying ratio. It got as low as .092,and is now back up to .112. I may convert some back to BTC (and LTC) now that the ratio makes that attractive, though ETH may not be done increasing against BTC. Also, being so ETH-heavy is not comfortable. I will be glad when Aug. 1 has come and gone and we have a better idea of what will happen with BTC.

Yeah doesn't look like it's done yet. I have sell orders on eth set at 0.15 to btc for a handful. It's hard to say which direction it'll go though. $90 swings overnight is a traders dream though

Return to “Bitcoin”