ETHEREUM

Fusion

Re: ETHEREUM $300+

Postby Fusion » Mon Jun 12, 2017

Very good article
WHY ETHEREUM IS OUTPACING BITCOIN
https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/11/why- ... g-bitcoin/
Guns kill people the same way pencils misspell wurds.

ImageImageImage

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Tue Jun 13, 2017

What a day. High $421, low $313. Now back to the $390s. What kind of correction or retracing was that?? :lol: I look forward to reading some intelligent analysis of what happened today. I've been at work and unable to follow the news.

Thank you for the articles, pro and con. Anyone who is concerned Ethereum is a bubble waiting to pop, or has no useful purpose and will fail, would be well advised to sell. It's certainly a great time to take profits. Or stay away, if you never got into it. There's plenty of other ways to be active in the crypto universe. Or just stick to Bitcoin. There are plenty of opinions of all flavors about that, too. Pick your poison, or no poison at all.

Who are these people buying Ethereum at near $400? ($392 as I type this.) Do they think it will go to $600, $800, $1000? Are they serious? I wouldn't urge anyone to buy ETH at $400. Trade BTC or Dash or something else acquired cheap, I can see it. I did that with Litecoin a few weeks ago. But I'm talking about hedge funds, deep-pocket investors, big corporations, laying out that kind of money. I guess it's a matter of scale. They see $400 ETH differently than I do. But they're nuts if they think they're tripling their money. My opinion, anyway. I think those people who generate clicks by blaring ETHEREUM $1000!!!!! or Bitcoin $10,000!!!!! don't actually believe it, they're just doing a job.

But if I'd been asked a couple months ago, what do I think, BTC to $3000 or ETH to $400, which comes first? I would have said BTC, no contest. And laughed at the idea that both would happen within a matter of weeks.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Tue Jun 13, 2017

Long John wrote: But they're nuts if they think they're tripling their money. My opinion, anyway. I think those people who generate clicks by blaring ETHEREUM $1000!!!!! or Bitcoin $10,000!!!!! don't actually believe it, they're just doing a job.

But if I'd been asked a couple months ago, what do I think, BTC to $3000 or ETH to $400, which comes first? I would have said BTC, no contest. And laughed at the idea that both would happen within a matter of weeks.

Many of them believe it.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Tue Jun 13, 2017

What happened today in Bitcoin (and Ethereum) is this.

High net-work individuals and some hedge fund managers saw Bitcoin hit $3000 and decided they wanted to get in, but wanted in at lower price. They spooked the newbies into selling out cheap. That is not illegal, especially in unregulated markets. This also happened at the $1,000 and $2000 new highs for Bitcoin.

Same thing happens a majority of the time when a stock hits a new high, like $100.

In the case of the hedge funds, buying Bitcoin improves their Sharpe Ratio, especially since Bitcoin is uncorrelated with majority of their holdings.

See "Application of the Sharpe Ratio" for an clear explanation of how this works. Later in the article, it explains how hedge fund manages "game" the Sharpe Ratio.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/s/sharperatio.asp
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

SilverDoge wrote:Many of them believe it.

Here's my naivete showing: I didn't realize until recently that many cryptoTubers are PAID by coin developers and service providers to promote their product. Sure, I knew that a lot of them have personal gain in mind when pumping or panning this coin or that one. Or an ax to grind because they sold out of a coin long ago due to problems or they expected it to fail and now it's 100X.

But I didn't know a developer could say to a Tuber: "I'd like to see my coin (or service) get some publicity on your channel. How much?" Or just offer a flat fee, in USD or their own coin. Why should these guys be any different than other reviewers? Apple or Samsung or Dell sends a laptop and asks for a review and by the way, you can keep the laptop. Wink wink.

I saw an odd video recently. There was a scam, someone set up a web-based wallet called Ethereum Chamber, and paid this Tuber to promote it, which he did. He freely admitted in his apology video he did it for the money, said many of his peers do it, and he was flattered someone thought his promoting the product was worth paying for. But Chamber was a scam, and those who put their ETH into this wallet lost it. The developer had their "private" keys and took their ETH. And the Tuber was shattered because he had urged his followers (not many, fortunately) to try out this new wallet. And he had put ETH in this scammy Chamber, too. Or said he did.

But I was disillusioned, and felt dumb for not understanding opinions on YouTube (and blogs and websites) can be outright bought and paid for. Just like in the rest of the world.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Tue Jun 13, 2017

Yahoo Finance used to be nothing more than paid pumpers back in the 1990's. To some degree, Seeking Alpha and Stocktwits has a good number of pumpers. It's pretty easy to get the Bulls running with promises of sunshine and lollipops if they buy "this stock" or "that coin".

Most financial newsletters operate in the same way, although a bit more refined than a web article. Financial websites that publish articles need daily content, the editors don't scrutinize what they publish. New articles mean more "eyeballs", and that increases advertising revenue.

A Bear kick the tires, looks under the hood, and generally run some numbers to see if it makes sense. Bears are subject to a fair degree of ridicule because the Bear has the minority opinion. However, the Bear is generally more knowledgeable about the the item in question.

Silly Bulls.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Long John wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:Many of them believe it.

Here's my naivete showing: I didn't realize until recently that many cryptoTubers are PAID by coin developers and service providers to promote their product. Sure, I knew that a lot of them have personal gain in mind when pumping or panning this coin or that one. Or an ax to grind because they sold out of a coin long ago due to problems or they expected it to fail and now it's 100X.

But I didn't know a developer could say to a Tuber: "I'd like to see my coin (or service) get some publicity on your channel. How much?" Or just offer a flat fee, in USD or their own coin. Why should these guys be any different than other reviewers? Apple or Samsung or Dell sends a laptop and asks for a review and by the way, you can keep the laptop. Wink wink.

I saw an odd video recently. There was a scam, someone set up a web-based wallet called Ethereum Chamber, and paid this Tuber to promote it, which he did. He freely admitted in his apology video he did it for the money, said many of his peers do it, and he was flattered someone thought his promoting the product was worth paying for. But Chamber was a scam, and those who put their ETH into this wallet lost it. The developer had their "private" keys and took their ETH. And the Tuber was shattered because he had urged his followers (not many, fortunately) to try out this new wallet. And he had put ETH in this scammy Chamber, too. Or said he did.

But I was disillusioned, and felt dumb for not understanding opinions on YouTube (and blogs and websites) can be outright bought and paid for. Just like in the rest of the world.

During a summer in college, I took an internship with a large financial planning firm. While there I saw mutual fund marketers and promoters show up every other week with fancy presentations, some sort of gifts or freebies, complicated (for the clients) incentives for the brokers to make high commissions for selling their products, and on and on. What I didn't see were the possible kickbacks or other perks - that was probably back room deal stuff.

That one summer was enough for me to know that I didn't want to be in that business. I had this vision of one day helping people with their finances who just weren't very financially savvy and wanted to trust somebody to have their best interests at heart. It is possible to do that, but the conflict of interest was VERY high. And that was even before I was into PMs. Oh yeah, and what does a planner make when he recommends a client hold 10-20% of their portfolio in gold = zero.

YouTube can be great for educating oneself but always asking, why is this person making this video, and who benefits - are good questions to keep in the back of one's mind. Even my own advice here on BS has a bias :shh: but I do put my money where my mouth is though.

silverbender
Gold Supporter

Postby silverbender » Tue Jun 13, 2017

What is the bounty is the first thing asked at bitcointalk when a Dev posts there new coin thread.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

SilverDoge wrote:
Long John wrote: Even my own advice here on BS has a bias :shh: but I do put my money where my mouth is though.

Yeah, which counts more with me than heckling from the bleachers. Speaking as a former heckler. :lol:

The Ethereum explosion ($383 as I type this) has me thinking of selling enough to cover my investment in my current position. Then the rest, a substantial amount, would be free and the gloom and doomers can have a party and invite me if they want. :lol:

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Long John wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:
Long John wrote: Even my own advice here on BS has a bias :shh: but I do put my money where my mouth is though.

Yeah, which counts more with me than heckling from the bleachers. Speaking as a former heckler. :lol:

The Ethereum explosion ($383 as I type this) has me thinking of selling enough to cover my investment in my current position. Then the rest, a substantial amount, would be free and the gloom and doomers can have a party and invite me if they want. :lol:

ETH may crash, but I think it hits $500 first. Don't lynch me if it hits $499, then crashes to $150 though! :lol:

silverbender
Gold Supporter

Long John wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:

I sold my eth from trading dice at 286 before it ran up to over 400 on Kraken but I had staked the dice venture with $95 eth so I did very well.
Now I fell conflicted to buy some back since the original plan was to buy it back cheaper lol I`m thinking of trying it again but not sure what eth is going to do next.
Last edited by silverbender on Tue Jun 13, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

SilverDoge wrote:ETH may crash, but I think it hits $500 first. Don't lynch me if it hits $499, then crashes to $150 though! :lol:

I would not argue with that, except maybe the $150 part. I think $225-$250 is more like it, in the crash scenario. The hedge funders and deep pockets who are biding their time won't let it fall farther than that. So I'm wearing my rose-colored glasses and sending a strategic number of ETH to Coinbase so that if it reaches $450 I will sell. That would please the wife.

silverbender
Gold Supporter

I think the floor is in the mid 250 range but with btc issues, ICOs and the China meeting on the 14th it may keep moving up.So many volatile influences.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

And I don't want to bet on the whims of South Korea. I'm content to assume this run cannot be sustained, though it may for awhile longer.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Wed Jun 14, 2017

https://cointelegraph.com/news/ethereum ... -june-8-13

This is a link to CoinTelegraph's price analysis of Ethereum (and Classic, too). Some of it seems to have been written before ETH skied to the $400 zone, thus some of the points in the analysis have already come true. I have excerpted the most updated and relevant part for those (like me) with short attention spans.

The current growth may be partially connected to the fact that this version can increase the demand. It’s worth mentioning that the demand is higher at $400 than it was at the previous $270 peak. All of this indicates that Ethereum is still considered to be a good investment move. Provided this interest continues, the $1000 mark for Ethereum is quite probable by the end of August. As for the current trend key level, the $300 point is the most likely correction peak for the upward trend. If the trend moves to this area and the demand stays the same, there will be a new growth wave.

The trend break
If the trend goes down to $300, the growth is quite unlikely. The price can even go down to the starting point in the $250 area.

I am glad to see this analyst agrees with my much less researched belief that a "crash" would be no lower than the $250 range. Of course I am very skeptical of the "$1000 by August" scenario, but then one month ago I was not only very skeptical of $350+ by mid-June, I would have laughed in derision. I'm still skeptical of extravagant scenarios, though.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Thu Jun 15, 2017

Bought some ETH at $335 and at $313. Will $300 hold? We'll see. I needed some ETH for some upcoming ICOs anyway so this dip was perfect timing for me.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Re: ETHEREUM

Postby Long John » Thu Jun 15, 2017

$300? What is this strange currency of which you speak?

Silverkid
Gold Supporter

Postby Silverkid » Thu Jun 15, 2017

I am a buyer at about $250
I prefer payment in crypto: LTC, ETH AND BTC. Also accept Google Wallet, Wells Fargo SurePay, Postal Money Orders, and Personal Checks. Shipping prices do not include insurance. If you want insurance/registered mail, it's always extra.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Thu Jun 15, 2017

Silverkid wrote:I am a buyer at about $250

This is the chart from GDAX today. So if you had funds ready to go there, it looks like it hit $253. Get any?

ETH dip.png
ETH dip.png (96.12 KiB) Viewed 734 times

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Thu Jun 15, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:This is the chart from GDAX today. So if you had funds ready to go there, it looks like it hit $253. Get any?

No, I'm all set on ETH, in fact looking to sell a bit near the top of the next arc if I can time it right. Today I was focused on Bitcoin, trying to get some spending money on the cheap. Didn't quite hit the bottom of $2050, but I traded for a total of about 2.2 BTC in the mid $2100s. It looks to be climbing back now.

Sorry, this is the ETH thread. So ETH is climbing back too! $327 now on CoinMarketCap. Wonder if ETH and BTC will go back to those majestic heights of $400 and $3000. Color me skeptical, but I hope so.

Return to “Bitcoin”