Alt-Coin BAT

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Re: Alt-Coin BAT

Postby Long John » Wed May 31, 2017

Taylor at MyEtherWallet told me the BAT ICO this morning really slammed the Ethereum blockchain. All wallets and exchanges were bogged down. I couldn't withdraw ETH from MyEtherWallet, ETH on Bittrex was locked down, etc.

So for many people it wasn't that the concert was sold out when they got there, it's that they couldn't even get out of the driveway. Their buy orders never made it onto the blockchain. Freakin' bots pounding that ICO address...

Altima

Postby Altima » Thu Jun 01, 2017

Going forward, if developers are smart, they would leave it uncapped and just watch the silly money coming into the project.

Just look at MobileGo raising over 50 million. I bet Tezos and Bancor can do better.
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Fri Jun 02, 2017

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Sun Jun 04, 2017

BAT is on Bittrex. Bought 5,000 at about a quarter each and watching the price, currently going for $0.30 to $0.35. I haven't calculated how much over ICO that is. 8 or 10x? Just jumped, having already done my doo diligence. It's already #7 in volume on Bittrex.

Edit: Price is actually dropping back toward where I bought in. Might grab some more.

Edit: So I ended up with 10,000 BAT for just under 1 BTC. Now the adventure begins...
Last edited by Long John on Sun Jun 04, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Altima

Postby Altima » Sun Jun 04, 2017

Only got 1000 at 0.15 cos I'm still mad at myself for missing out on the ICO :lol:
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Jun 04, 2017

Altima wrote:Only got 1000 at 0.15 cos I'm still mad at myself for missing out on the ICO :lol:

Don't be mad at yourself - be mad at the system.

The Wagerr ICO is really well done, and I might comment further on it later on, but the BAT ICO was a joke.

Marchas45
Turtle Supporter

Postby Marchas45 » Sun Jun 04, 2017

Darn people now I had to go and buy some. Lol
Be Prepared Keep Stacking

Image Image Image

Altima

Postby Altima » Sun Jun 04, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:
Altima wrote:Only got 1000 at 0.15 cos I'm still mad at myself for missing out on the ICO :lol:

Don't be mad at yourself - be mad at the system.

The Wagerr ICO is really well done, and I might comment further on it later on, but the BAT ICO was a joke.

Well I'm mad cos I could have gotten a decent amount, if not for me messing up settings in my parity wallet :lol:

Long John
Turtle Supporter

The BAT ico was indeed a joke. Someone(s) had their bots loaded up and ready to swarm the one and only Ether address until it was sold out. Plus there was that "cut in line" thing with a ridiculous gas fee, or bribe. What a mess.

But the premise for wanting to be part of it is still true. It would have been nice to get it at 3.6 cents, but that ship has sailed. From an an investor's viewpoint, is 31 cents (current price) a viable entry point? That's a personal judgment call. I was OK with 25 cents, even though the !@#$% whale made like 7X on the ICO price. If it becomes as big as we believed it would before the ICO fiasco, 25-30 cents won't feel like so much.

Charlie, the Parity buys didn't get through, either, from what I saw in the PIVX slack. They went through some trouble to set it up, and they couldn't get through the bot attack.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Still hovering around 30 cents, hasn't moved much since the initial runup. But a lot of it is changing hands; BAT is #3 in volume on Bittrex. It's only available on 4 markets, Bittrex being the largest and only being on Bittrex for 1 day, and it still manages to be #20 on CoinMarketCap. A lot of interest.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Mon Jun 05, 2017

I'm waiting on BAT for now. I still need to get the bad taste out of my mouth after that ICO. Also, Eich was on the slack channel answering questions about the ICO in regards to the increase in ETH price while they had locked in the value at $155 while ETH was over $215 a coin at ICO release date. He had given options, suggested a vote, and then said "we will answer this question after the ICO is over" which was unsatisfying. I was still willing to purchase at ICO time even with the price disparity.

Unfortunately what he ought to have said was, it won't matter what we do because this ICO is going to sell out in 30 seconds and none of you are going to get any coin anyway ;)

For now, I'm choosing other projects like Tezos, Bancor, and currently Wagerr (partly as a hedge to my Edgeless position).

I might be convinced later, but today I wait and see.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Mon Jun 05, 2017

I hope it dips low enough (but only briefly!) to wash away that bad taste, Travis. Remember why you presented this to us in the first place. If the mismanagement of the ICO indicates a systemic problem with the BAT team, that is one thing, and please warn us about that. But it strikes me more as failing to foresee a vulnerability that a small group of arbitrageurs could take advantage of. Probably not the only ICO it has happened to. There was the getting greedy bit before that, but as you said, that was only enough to reduce your investment.

Suppose the ICO had proceeded normally, but I still was unable to fight my way through the crowd, a likely enough scenario since I couldn't even get my order up onto the blockchain. Many of those who did succeed would still have immediately listed their BAT at 5-10X what they paid (and thus hold some for free) and I still would be faced with buying or waiting. I hesitated but decided 25 cents might be the lowest it would ever be available to me. It has not skyrocketed at this point, which may indicate I was wrong. But it is only day 2 on Bittrex, it has a market capitalization of $329 million on CoinMarketCap, three times that of PIVX, and is still not widely available or widely known. So we'll see.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Wed Jun 07, 2017

Long John wrote:I hope it dips low enough (but only briefly!) to wash away that bad taste, Travis.

We are getting there. Under 20 cents and I will think about it. Under 15 cents and I might have to pull the trigger.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Wed Jun 07, 2017

You guys need to learn a simple concept. You need to buy high and sell higher. Run with the LEADERS.

Buy low and sell high.....is a joke. It might take forever to start a run-up, and in the meantime might fail.

William J. O'Neill. Read his book, "How to Make Money In Stocks". Study the cup and handle formation charts.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_O%27Neil

Bill developed CAN SLIM, a sound methodology for picking investment winners.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAN_SLIM

I'll answer any questions by email. His CAN SLIM methodology applies to stocks, mutuals, crypto or any other investments.

All I did was lose money until I began to study Bill's methodology in the late 1980's.

Bottom-fishing is risky and expensive. The Bulls run for a reason.

Free advice from a weary old Bear, who sometimes runs with the herd.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Marchas45
Turtle Supporter

Postby Marchas45 » Wed Jun 07, 2017

"You need to buy high and sell higher. Run with the LEADERS." Heck bucketeer that's all I've been doing lately well at least the buy Higher part becuase it seems like everything I have, XBY, BAT, QTUM not including the BTC and ETH all have taken a dip on me, so when do I sell high? :lol:

I know: "Patience Grasshopper" :lol:

Image Image Image

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Wed Jun 07, 2017

Marchas45 wrote:"You need to buy high and sell higher. Run with the LEADERS." Heck bucketeer that's all I've been doing lately well at least the buy Higher part becuase it seems like everything I have, XBY, BAT, QTUM not including the BTC and ETH all have taken a dip on me, so when do I sell high? :lol:

I know: "Patience Grasshopper" :lol:

Read Bill's book. The man is a sage.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Altima

Postby Altima » Wed Jun 07, 2017

Came across this article:

Newspapers try to block Brave browser’s ad-substitution business model

No doubt what BAT is trying to do is disruptive to the current industry, but I doubt Google will just sit idly and let them cut into their cash cow. Interesting times ahead.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Thu Jun 08, 2017

BAT dropping. I've got an order in between $0.15 and $0.20 cents. Might hit, might not. Only 5 times ICO price!

Marchas45
Turtle Supporter

Postby Marchas45 » Thu Jun 08, 2017

I believe you just missed out Travis. :P

Image Image Image

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Thu Jun 08, 2017

Everything in my folio this morning is green except for BAT. But it's only been a few days since it hit a major exchange. Patience.

Return to “Bitcoin”