Alt-coin Qtum

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Re: Alt-coin Qtum

Postby Bucketeer » Sun Oct 29, 2017

The author of the calculator replied to my question about ROI.

QTUM Explorer 19 hours ago
That's true, I think it makes more sense to have the calculator based on the current value as default. I'm planning to do another iteration of the calculator that would take compound interest in consideration and probably add the option to say what price you paid per QTUM.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Nov 05, 2017

My QTUM update:

Many here know I like the idea behind QTUM and what it has done thus far. That said, I had to sell the remainder of my QTUM position. I have a staking-only computer I use for POS coins. I am constantly running anti-virus on this computer and do not do ANY online searching/surfing beyond going to a github to download wallet software. Sometimes, wallet software will trigger a false positive for viruses for some crypto wallets. This is the case for QTUM for me. Unfortunately while I was out of town, my computer shut down my QTUM wallet and wiped it from my computer as it detected a malicious attack. Oddly it did this after staking for several days, and after I'd already received a QTUM stake of 4 QTUM.

Now, I did not lose my QTUM coins because I made a proper wallet.dat backup and saved it on a USB stick off my computer. So I can re-load a new QTUM wallet (after turning off my anti-virus), and reload my wallet.dat file. This is a perfect lesson in ensuring one has proper backups of their coin. This could have been a larger loss for me if things had gone a different way and had I not made a proper backup.

Again, crypto is a new field and we need to take the proper precautions when holding our own wealth. One of those precautions is having backups, strong passwords, good anti-virus, etc. Now could I find a way to make QTUM work, using a sort of work-around with the anti-virus? Maybe. But I'm just putting my QTUM into bitcoin for now and we'll see where I go from here.

Again, this isn't the fault of QTUM or the team. Sometimes these wallets trigger false positives. But I can't have my anti-virus shutting down my wallet, and I can't just turn off my anti-virus. So at least until a new wallet is developed that doesn't trigger a false positive for me, I'm moving to bitcoin.

Marchas45
Turtle Supporter

Postby Marchas45 » Sun Nov 05, 2017

You scared the crap out of me, I thought you lost your QTUM, glad to see you didn't. As for me I'm stacking all the QTUM I can as I see it taking off after all this BTC split or fork happens. Backup is a must if you have it in a wallet. Good Luck Travis
P.S. I can't sell my QTUM anyway or I'll be selling at a loss. Lol I just see the value going down. Lol
Be Prepared Keep Stacking

Image Image Image

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Sun Nov 05, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:So at least until a new wallet is developed that doesn't trigger a false positive for me, I'm moving to bitcoin.

There are worse places to store your wealth right now. To say the least.

I'm sorry about your wallet mishap, but glad you had taken precautions. A lesson for everyone that even offline wallets with private keys are not 100% safe, if they are connected online for staking. You must have a way to restore the coin in the event of a mishap, such as someone stealing your staking computer, or it just crapping out beyond repair. Besides, the way things are going, you may be able to buy back QTUM cheaper than you sold it, if you are so inclined later on.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Sun Nov 05, 2017

I been setting up my mini PC for a staking computer/Kodi Box, so I haven't actually staked anything yet.

Yesterday, I noticed that the Qtum app was updated to 0.14.5 from 0.14.3. I downloaded the new version from Github, installed it, and transferred my coins in 0.14.5.

About 2 hours later, I checked the computer and Avast had red-flagged 0.14.3. Perhaps I should have removed it before I installed 0.14.5. The older version wasn't running, and had been scanned before.

Have you had any problems with PIVX or any other coins that you are staking?

Sorry to hear you're out. You were bold, choose wisely, and were well rewarded for your risks.

natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Postby natsb88 » Sun Nov 05, 2017

It's easy enough to tell anti-virus software to ignore certain processes and files. That functionality exists for precisely this type of case, where you want to run a legitimate process that the AV just doesn't recognize.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Thanks, I just discovered that in Avast. It detected 0.14.3 a second time as malware.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Ink Pre-sale successfully ended!
Pre-sale has successfully received 800,000 QTUM

https://medium.com/@inklabsfoundation/ink-presale-has-successfully-concluded-crowdsale-will-start-soon-8b1a302f0113

Marchas45
Turtle Supporter

Bucketeer wrote:Ink Pre-sale successfully ended!
Pre-sale has successfully received 800,000 QTUM

https://medium.com/@inklabsfoundation/ink-presale-has-successfully-concluded-crowdsale-will-start-soon-8b1a302f0113

It's a pity we couldn't get involved in the crowdsdale because we are located in the States but then again I didn't know anything about this one. Lol
Thanks for keeping us updated on these Bucketeer it's the first I've heard of this one. :thumbup:

Image Image Image

Altima

Postby Altima » Sun Nov 05, 2017

That's interesting. I believe there's also another QTUM ICO happening.

https://www.vevue.com/?source=qtumexplorer.io
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

I'm not really interested in participating in the ICOs, but I am pleased to see that they are accepting Qtum as payment. That shows the credibility, growing confidence, and acceptance of Qtum.

Marchas45
Turtle Supporter

This is kind of looking good for us holding QTUM's. Why all of a sudden all this interest in QTUM? Any ideas?

Image Image Image

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

It's a good team, a good project, good angels, many operational sites, and lots of committed 3rd party developers. The interest has been there since the white paper.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Mon Nov 06, 2017

I mined my 1st stake in less than 24 hours. I have 1 receiving address with 1900 QTum.

Altima

Postby Altima » Mon Nov 06, 2017

Bucketeer wrote:I mined my 1st stake in less than 24 hours. I have 1 receiving address with 1900 QTum.

Congrats! :clap:
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

I remember now talking to Travis about Kaspersky Anti-Virus before he had his wallet removed. He was using Kaspersky.

I bought Kaspersky at Walmart for $7, on a close out. I had been using Avast (free version) and getting a lot of false-positives, and I was unable to get Avast to exclude Qtum Core. So, I decided this morning I'd install Kaspersky.

During the installation process, Kaspersky decided that Qtum was malware, and it deleted my wallet. It did not give me an option to choose if I wanted to delete it or not. Fortunately, I had run a backup, un-installed Kaspersky, and downloaded a new wallet.

Everything is fine now, no coins were lost. I don't recommend Kaspersky if you have a Qtum wallet on your system. I can live with Avast flagging Qtum, because you have the option to cancel the alert.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Mon Nov 06, 2017

Bucketeer wrote:I remember now talking to Travis about Kaspersky Anti-Virus before he had his wallet removed. He was using Kaspersky.

I bought Kaspersky at Walmart for $7, on a close out. I had been using Avast (free version) and getting a lot of false-positives, and I was unable to get Avast to exclude Qtum Core. So, I decided this morning I'd install Kaspersky.

During the installation process, Kaspersky decided that Qtum was malware, and it deleted my wallet. It did not give me an option to choose if I wanted to delete it or not. Fortunately, I had run a backup, un-installed Kaspersky, and downloaded a new wallet.

Everything is fine now, no coins were lost. I don't recommend Kaspersky if you have a Qtum wallet on your system. I can live with Avast flagging Qtum, because you have the option to cancel the alert.

Exactly correct.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Bodhi is developing China's Prediction Market for the World, and it is powered by Qtum. In the White Paper, the author specifically states that they are launching on Qtum because of too many existing problems with Ethereum.

The token sale starts November 20th at 10AM (UTC +8). I didn't see any notices that US citizens are excluded.
http://www.bodhi.network/

The Bodhi White Paper
http://www.bodhi.network/file/whitepaper/Bodhi_English_White_Paper.pdf

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Mon Nov 06, 2017

That is scary, that an anti-virus program could delete a crypto wallet without notice. What if you hadn't made a backup? You're SOL.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Mon Nov 06, 2017

Long John wrote:That is scary, that an anti-virus program could delete a crypto wallet without notice. What if you hadn't made a backup? You're SOL.

Always make a backup!

The issue is that it wasn't just the wallet interface that was gone, it was the whole QTUM folder (including the wallet.dat file) that was erased. So if I had not made a backup, or if I had not downloaded a copy of my private key (for each UTXO) - if I hadn't done at least one of these 2 things - my QTUM would have been gone.

Now is it possible that I could have contacted some QTUM experts on the Slack support channel and they worked some magic to find a file hidden in my computer possibly somewhere, or that I could have restored my computer to a certain point where the wallet still existed? Possibly. But having a simple wallet.dat backup file removed that necessity and worry. Even after figuring out what happened, I did not freak out knowing all I needed to do was re-download the wallet software and upload my backed up file.

Return to “Bitcoin”