Alt-Coin PIVX

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Alt-Coin PIVX

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Mar 26, 2017

While the Alt-coin thread is great to talk about the aspects of a diverse number of alt-coins, I wanted to start a thread on my new favorite alt-coin. That way I'm not clogging the alt-coin thread just talking about one alt-coin and for anyone who wants to know more about PIVX they won't have to scour through vast pages of alt-coin threads.

First, an article describing why Dash and/or PIVX are possible solutions to the current Bitcoin problem:
https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin- ... to-satoshi

Second, a comparison of PIVX versus Dash side by side (admittedly created by PIVX team):
https://pivx.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... RAPH-2.jpg

A YouTuber analysis between PIVX, Monero & Zcash
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_HbzA ... UzMlE/view

One day, I would love to become a MasterNode for PIVX (which requires owning 10,000 PIV). I already own a wallet and have already begun staking (mining) for coin on my personal laptop. I've already received more than 10 PIV in less than a week simply by staking. Very cool.

PIVX currently #18 in overall market capitalization of all crypto coins: http://coinmarketcap.com/

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Re: Alt-Coin PIVX

PIVX technical notes explaining the see-saw payment structure between the stakers (miners) - which is anybody who actively holds coin in their wallet, and the masternodes:
https://pivx.org/wp-content/uploads/201 ... -Notes.pdf

PIVX improvements & comparison to it's sister Dash:
https://themerkle.com/pivx-provides-ins ... e-to-dash/

Current predominant exchange to acquire PIVX (need bitcoin to buy it) if one is so inclined: https://bittrex.com
There is speculation that it could be added to Poloniex in the near future but this is still guess work.

PIVX price as of this post: $0.62
PIVX price in bitcoin: 0.000638

Disclaimer: I own PIVX and am a long term holder

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Altima

Postby Altima » Sun Mar 26, 2017

I think the general saying is that anonymous/privacy coins (DASH, ZCASH, PIVX) have potential to increase in value.

100 coins will only set you back $60 at current market prices. Worth a punt.
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Sun Mar 26, 2017

The only thing I'd be careful about is using your daily laptop to do this. These hashing algorithms beat the crap outta the system CPU/got combo on laptops and they aren't very optimal to do it. It generates heat and would likely not be worth the wear to replacement of your laptop unless it blows up. Plenty of cards burn out doing crypto, just look on eBay for 295x2's that are dead.

I wouldn't mind gambling $60 though on 100. Seems interesting enough, i would trust your research to put some cash down on it. Where's a decent place to buy?

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

silverpv wrote:The only thing I'd be careful about is using your daily laptop to do this. These hashing algorithms beat the crap outta the system CPU/got combo on laptops and they aren't very optimal to do it. It generates heat and would likely not be worth the wear to replacement of your laptop unless it blows up. Plenty of cards burn out doing crypto, just look on eBay for 295x2's that are dead.

I wouldn't mind gambling $60 though on 100. Seems interesting enough, i would trust your research to put some cash down on it. Where's a decent place to buy?

I will likely find a new platform for staking, as you make a good point.

Best place to pick it up is bittrex.com

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

A fair analysis on PIVX. Gotta listen to the end.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

The PIVX logo:
PIVX Shield-min.jpg
PIVX Shield-min.jpg (319.79 KiB) Viewed 1840 times

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Mon Mar 27, 2017

A new YouTube video today highlighting PIVX:

PIVX price as of this post: $0.66
PIVX price in bitcoin: 0.000645

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Mon Mar 27, 2017

While PIVX is attempting to be an improved off-shoot of Dash, here is a quick article explaining some of the existing problems including the faux-decentralization of Dash:

https://satoshiwatch.com/hall-of-fame/e ... d-tyranny/
Last edited by SilverDoge on Tue Mar 28, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Tue Mar 28, 2017

Here is a good article that talks about Satoshi's (bitcoin inventor) original vision, and how bitcoin today has devolved from that vision. It lays out some of today's problems with bitcoin and how those obstacles are being overcome by other ventures.... like PIVX.

https://medium.com/@Spiralus/satoshis-i ... .j0w9m0xlx

PIVX price as of this post: $0.64
PIVX price in bitcoin: 0.0006145

Silversaving

Postby Silversaving » Tue Mar 28, 2017

Here's some info one updated payouts for masternodes:

http://178.254.23.111/~pub/DN/DN_master ... stats.html

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Wed Mar 29, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:It lays out some of today's problems with bitcoin

The basic problem with Bitcoin is scaling, but in order to have a scaling problem, you first must have scale.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Wed Mar 29, 2017

silverpv wrote:The only thing I'd be careful about is using your daily laptop to do this. These hashing algorithms beat the crap outta the system CPU/got combo on laptops and they aren't very optimal to do it. It generates heat and would likely not be worth the wear to replacement of your laptop unless it blows up. Plenty of cards burn out doing crypto, just look on eBay for 295x2's that are dead.

So I pulled out an old laptop that I bought about 6 years ago that was basically just sitting on a shelf after I bought my new one (14 months ago). I wiped all the old programs, did a disc cleanup, etc and wanted to see if I could stake (mine) my PIVX on that.

After 2 days it has been working great. It just sits on my desk, running my wallet and does nothing else. It hasn't heated up too bad and I'm not using it for anything else anyway. Of course I back up my wallet file any time I have a change in my PIV balance, but that is really the only interaction I have with the wallet on the computer.

So if my 6 year old basic lenovo laptop can do it, I'd say almost anything can. It has 6GB Ram, but you only need 1GB to run it, is what I've heard from some tech savvy guys.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Silversaving wrote:Here's some info one updated payouts for masternodes:

http://178.254.23.111/~pub/DN/DN_master ... stats.html

That is a helpful link that I reference daily. It shows the current number of masternodes, and about a week ago it was in the 1,700 - 1800 range. Now over 2,000. Once it hits 2,100 or so, the stakers will actually start getting a better payout percentage than the masternodes based on the see-saw algorithm of the coin which is actually quite genius. This gives the edge to the "little guy" who doesn't have 10,000 coins.

PIVX has been holding in a steady channel price-wise the last 3-4 days. There is a huge buy wall at .00045 BTC on bittrex so that seems to be a safe "floor" for now. If it drops anywhere below 50 that is a big "buy" opportunity for me.

Silversaving

Postby Silversaving » Wed Mar 29, 2017

Yeah, I'm transfering over some funds. Have a bit over 5k pivx now and decided I'm going to take the plunge and secure a masternode. Was looking to do that with DASH before the price just exploded and priced me out of ever being involved with that (i do hold some masternode shares tied up in dash). Will take me another week most likely to get it done, but looking forward to having a MN and a vote of my own in a crypto for the first time (as well as that sweet passive increase in coin).

Altima

Postby Altima » Wed Mar 29, 2017

"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Silversaving wrote:Yeah, I'm transfering over some funds. Have a bit over 5k pivx now and decided I'm going to take the plunge and secure a masternode. Was looking to do that with DASH before the price just exploded and priced me out of ever being involved with that (i do hold some masternode shares tied up in dash). Will take me another week most likely to get it done, but looking forward to having a MN and a vote of my own in a crypto for the first time (as well as that sweet passive increase in coin).

Wow, congrats on that. The price has been in a stable channel between $0.57 and $0.65 for the past 3-4 days. In my opinion a good value here in that range.

One other point though, is the governance system in PIVX is going to allow votes in some way, shape, or form to any holder of PIVX coin, and not only the masternodes. "We" are going for a truly decentralized form of organization which Dash doesn't really have based on the masternode only voting system, and the crazy number of nodes owned by only 2 guys in their core team.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Altima wrote:Sweet PIVX Chart

Altima, thanks for the great chart. I've seen it before. It is a bit misleading though because it doesn't show the "halving" that will happen in the PIVX blockchain model phases. This year, on about 18 April the rewards will go from 15 PIV per block (1 block every 60 seconds) to 10 PIV per block. And then one month later it will go down to 5 PIV per block and then stay there indefinitely. This gives a 2.6 million PIV inflation rate - which is just about perfect. If the price of PIV rises as I suspect though, 5 PIV next year could be worth much more than 15 PIV today. We'll see.

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Wed Mar 29, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:
Silversaving wrote:Yeah, I'm transfering over some funds. Have a bit over 5k pivx now and decided I'm going to take the plunge and secure a masternode. Was looking to do that with DASH before the price just exploded and priced me out of ever being involved with that (i do hold some masternode shares tied up in dash). Will take me another week most likely to get it done, but looking forward to having a MN and a vote of my own in a crypto for the first time (as well as that sweet passive increase in coin).

Wow, congrats on that. The price has been in a stable channel between $0.57 and $0.65 for the past 3-4 days. In my opinion a good value here in that range.

One other point though, is the governance system in PIVX is going to allow votes in some way, shape, or form to any holder of PIVX coin, and not only the masternodes. "We" are going for a truly decentralized form of organization which Dash doesn't really have based on the masternode only voting system, and the crazy number of nodes owned by only 2 guys in their core team.

good luck on that bullish call. That's not a trivial amount of money!

Return to “Bitcoin”