Alt-Coins

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby SilverDoge » Sat Sep 09, 2017

Long John wrote:Edit: I've discovered there is a thread about this under Burgers & Beers, but I'll leave this post, as crypto folks might be interested.

We've all heard that Equifax was breached,, hackers stole private info of 143 million people and are demanding a ransom of 600 Bitcoin, worth more than $2.4 million. Many also know that Equifax stock plunged 13.7% yesterday after the breach was announced. Presumably Friday was chosen in order to limit the damage in the marketplace, but the plunge might just resume Monday.

What may not be so widely known is that three Equifax executives sold $1.8 million worth of stock AFTER the company knew of the breach but BEFORE the public did. Thus avoiding the bloodbath that other stockholders suffered. I don't much about stock trading, but isn't this kind of trading on insider knowledge illegal?

Yep. I think Martha Stewart did 6 months in the big house for something similar. Or perhaps it was about lying to the feds in regards to her insider trading. Either way, it is a big no-no.

Marchas45
Turtle Supporter

Postby Marchas45 » Sat Sep 09, 2017

What pisses me off is: Equifax knew of this months ago. :evil:
Be Prepared Keep Stacking

Image Image Image

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sat Sep 09, 2017

Here is an excellent report about the summary of the "State of the Blockchain" 2nd Quarter 2017 from Coindesk. A lot of great information.

https://media.coindesk.com/uploads/2017/09/state_of_blockchain_q2_2017.pdf

I will highlight a few things from the report. First, performance:
Returns 2017.png
Returns 2017.png (112.69 KiB) Viewed 581 times

Second, often people who are new to blockchain and bitcoin thing that every crypto is just an offshoot (or fork) of bitcoin trying to copy it and be an alternative currency. But that simply isn't the case. See below:
Blockchains.png
Blockchains.png (183.8 KiB) Viewed 581 times

And to expand on just one of those DAPPS (Ethereum) to drill down further:
ETH Dapps.png
ETH Dapps.png (135.99 KiB) Viewed 581 times

I encourage those interested to give this a look.

Silversaving

Postby Silversaving » Sun Sep 10, 2017

Brutal night in the markets as btc and all altcoins dump. Just saw on OKCoin btc selling for $3400....oof!

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Sep 10, 2017

Silversaving wrote:Brutal night in the markets as btc and all altcoins dump. Just saw on OKCoin btc selling for $3400....oof!

There is such an amazing arbitrage opportunity for a dual US/Chinese citizenship holder who has both USD and CNY with accounts on both exchanges. I imagine that is a very small number of people, but they could be raking it in.

Either way, this is a nice little dip for all those who were on the sidelines looking for an entry position. I continue to add at some very decent prices. I know NEO & Qtum are a bit riskier due to the murky China market picture and the unknown future, but they are a good value play at this point too if it all works out in the end. I also like QRL (of course) and a few others.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

SilverDoge wrote:Here is an excellent report about the summary of the "State of the Blockchain" 2nd Quarter 2017 from Coindesk. A lot of great information.

https://media.coindesk.com/uploads/2017/09/state_of_blockchain_q2_2017.pdf

In this Quarterly report, CoinDesk conducted a survey of 1,300 respondents. They asked who had ever participated in an ICO and 39% said yes. When asked, what have you done with those tokens since then, here was the response:

ICO graph.png
ICO graph.png (86.24 KiB) Viewed 544 times

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Sun Sep 10, 2017

In general, I think if you buy something and it loses half of its value, you tend to find yourself "long" in hopes of better days -- whether that was your original plan or not. Not everyone panic-sells when the chips are down.

That doesn't mean the survey was wrong or even misleading. I'm assuming everyone who said they are still holding their ICO coin was telling the truth, that absolutely nobody was concealing they were a "weak hand." :? I just mean the reason for still holding may run beyond a continuing faith in that coin. It can sometimes be that selling at a huge loss just made no sense and they will sell as soon as it is no longer a loss. I know whereof I speak.

But that may be a small fraction of those who claimed they were still holding, there's no way to tell.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Long John wrote:In general, I think if you buy something and it loses half of its value, you tend to find yourself "long" in hopes of better days -- whether that was your original plan or not. Not everyone panic-sells when the chips are down.

That doesn't mean the survey was wrong or even misleading. I'm assuming everyone who said they are still holding their ICO coin was telling the truth, that absolutely nobody was concealing they were a "weak hand." :? I just mean the reason for still holding may run beyond a continuing faith in that coin. It can sometimes be that selling at a huge loss just made no sense and they will sell as soon as it is no longer a loss. I know whereof I speak.

But that may be a small fraction of those who claimed they were still holding, there's no way to tell.

The best part of that graph is the final bar.... "sold it into fiat"

That shows the belief in the overall crypto markets, and the fact that people aren't investing with the money they need for rent next month. Which is good for the crypto economy as well.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Sun Sep 10, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:The best part of that graph is the final bar.... "sold it into fiat"

That shows the belief in the overall crypto markets, and the fact that people aren't investing with the money they need for rent next month. Which is good for the crypto economy as well.

No argument there. Though I would guess that recent ICO buyers are the least likely of all crypto holders to have sold into fiat already. ICOs in their current large numbers is a new phenomenon. It's like asking owners of a 2017 model car how many of them have sold it already.

It must also be noted that selling an ICO coin for fiat usually means selling it into BTC first.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Thu Sep 21, 2017

It is entertaining to watch the Pump & Dump teams in action from day to day on Bittrex. They seem to pick 2 or 3 coins to drive up and then pull the rug out after the herd has crowded in and pushed it up the volume chart. The P&D folks can even fake heavy volume themselves, until others jump on the bandwagon. A couple days ago Edgeless was atop the chart, today not even on the first page. Yesterday it was Internet Of People and StartCoin going from massive green to massive red. Today it seems to be Vertcoin and Transfer Coin leading the charge in gains. Deep red tomorrow, I'm guessing. If you have a coin that's been in the doldrums for a long time, patience, perhaps the P&D'ers will get around to it eventually.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Thu Sep 21, 2017

Long John wrote:It is entertaining to watch the Pump & Dump teams in action from day to day on Bittrex. They seem to pick 2 or 3 coins to drive up and then pull the rug out after the herd has crowded in and pushed it up the volume chart. The P&D folks can even fake heavy volume themselves, until others jump on the bandwagon. A couple days ago Edgeless was atop the chart, today not even on the first page. Yesterday it was Internet Of People and StartCoin going from massive green to massive red. Today it seems to be Vertcoin and Transfer Coin leading the charge in gains. Deep red tomorrow, I'm guessing. If you have a coin that's been in the doldrums for a long time, patience, perhaps the P&D'ers will get around to it eventually.

This definitely occurs. The groups usually pick lower volume coins because you can really spike the price with a small volume coin.

As to Edgeless, the team announced they were going to launch by the end of Q3 (end of September), but then followed up days later saying that the launch would be a testing ground of only 800 participants (volunteers) with a max bet of 0.2 EDG per bet. That is by definition a beta testing and not a launch and when the public realized it the price crashed. So there were fundamental reasons for that one at least.

Silversaving

Postby Silversaving » Thu Sep 21, 2017

Anyone else get in on the ICON ICO? "Korean ethereum" (ok, I just made that up), but probably one of the first actual Korean blockchain teams entering the market with some impressive partners. Was pretty Impressed they filled their ICO in 6 hours with No USA, China, or Singapore all the while limiting each account to a 30 ETH maximum contribution. Nice to see an ICO with zero whales in it

silverpv
Gold Supporter

Postby silverpv » Thu Sep 21, 2017

Silversaving wrote:Anyone else get in on the ICON ICO? "Korean ethereum" (ok, I just made that up), but probably one of the first actual Korean blockchain teams entering the market with some impressive partners. Was pretty Impressed they filled their ICO in 6 hours with No USA, China, or Singapore all the while limiting each account to a 30 ETH maximum contribution. Nice to see an ICO with zero whales in it

I saw them at one of the conferences in LA. Nice team. I did not get in there. were you able to?

Altima

Postby Altima » Thu Sep 21, 2017

Silversaving wrote:Anyone else get in on the ICON ICO? "Korean ethereum" (ok, I just made that up), but probably one of the first actual Korean blockchain teams entering the market with some impressive partners. Was pretty Impressed they filled their ICO in 6 hours with No USA, China, or Singapore all the while limiting each account to a 30 ETH maximum contribution. Nice to see an ICO with zero whales in it

I was able to get in the presale. Amazing how it sold out that quickly. Though I only invested 4 ETH :lol:

Another one I was excited to get in was SmartContract's LINK. I'm LONG on this one. Already trading above its ICO price. :thumbup:
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

Silversaving

silverpv wrote:I saw them at one of the conferences in LA. Nice team. I did not get in there. were you able to?

Yep, in for the 30 ETH cap. I've been looking for "Korea coin" for a while now. Hopeful this one is it.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Thu Sep 21, 2017

Silversaving wrote:
silverpv wrote:I saw them at one of the conferences in LA. Nice team. I did not get in there. were you able to?

Yep, in for the 30 ETH cap. I've been looking for "Korea coin" for a while now. Hopeful this one is it.

By the way, you're supposed to notify the crew here BEFORE the ICO is already sold out. If you did, and I missed it - my apologies.

Silversaving

SilverDoge wrote:
By the way, you're supposed to notify the crew here BEFORE the ICO is already sold out. If you did, and I missed it - my apologies.

I was on the fence researching till the last minute. Was also out of town and a bit busy. If i'd been a bit more "definite"" about it I'd have posted. This is a larger token issuance, so I'm sure you'll be able to pick some up at a cheap price in the near future if you are interested in them.

On the bright side, you don't have to go through all the BS KYC process they have. passports, pics of you with passport lol...man ICOs are getting annoying

Altima

Postby Altima » Fri Sep 22, 2017

Silversaving wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:

I was on the fence researching till the last minute. Was also out of town and a bit busy. If i'd been a bit more "definite"" about it I'd have posted. This is a larger token issuance, so I'm sure you'll be able to pick some up at a cheap price in the near future if you are interested in them.

On the bright side, you don't have to go through all the BS KYC process they have. passports, pics of you with passport lol...man ICOs are getting annoying

Wait a minute, I thought ICON has a KYC implemented that will start on October 2? Says that USA, China and Singapore citizens can't participate.

https://medium.com/helloiconworld/kyc-b ... 1b3f626f9b
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

Silversaving

Postby Silversaving » Fri Sep 22, 2017

Altima wrote:
Silversaving wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:

Wait a minute, I thought ICON has a KYC implemented that will start on October 2? Says that USA, China and Singapore citizens can't participate.

All true. The ICO happened on the 19th. KYC started on 2nd of Oct. After your approved your tokens will be activated on the smart contract. And those said countries cannot participate. In my case, my wife is from a country that CAN participate.

Altima

Postby Altima » Fri Sep 22, 2017

Silversaving wrote:
Altima wrote:
Silversaving wrote:
SilverDoge wrote:

All true. The ICO happened on the 19th. KYC started on 2nd of Oct. After your approved your tokens will be activated on the smart contract. And those said countries cannot participate. In my case, my wife is from a country that CAN participate.

Benefits of having a spouse that actually can still participate in ICOs (same here) :lol:

Return to “Bitcoin”