Bitcoins - fad or trend?

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Re: Bitcoins - fad or trend?

Postby Bucketeer » Wed Jan 23, 2019

Threebody Capital: There will be Blood. The Future of Asset Management.

The title accurately describes the content of the article. I posted it because in the middle the the repot, there is a link to an article about Bitcoin mining (mentions 77% of electricity used are from renewable sources), and also a few paragraphs about Bitcoin as an asset.

The author appears to be mostly positive about the future of Bitcoin. This article is fairly technical, and not really written for Bitcoin newbs.

https://threebody.capital/blog/2018/12/30/there-will-be-blood-the-future-of-asset-management
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.
Bitcoin: PRApWhTMjV5KyyPpC6nAErYPzFmCaX3fs

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Wed Jan 23, 2019

"They Will Not Silence Me": McAfee Vows To Wage Presidential Campaign From Venezuela As He Flees Tax-Evasion Charges

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01- ... odging-tax

:lol:
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Wed Jan 23, 2019

tdtwedt wrote:"They Will Not Silence Me": McAfee Vows To Wage Presidential Campaign From Venezuela As He Flees Tax-Evasion Charges

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01- ... odging-tax

:lol:

John McAfee is the 21st Century International Man of Mystery.

Being on the run from the Feds is going to give him tremendous press coverage for his political and economic viewpoints! C'mon John, pull back the curtains and show the American public the hypocrisy of the US Federal Government.

Last edited by Bucketeer on Wed Jan 23, 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Mercuryman

Postby Mercuryman » Wed Jan 23, 2019

I love McAfee, he has definitely lived an exciting life.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Thu Jan 24, 2019

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

EWN: Blockchain Investor Claims Bitcoin (BTC) Will Plunge To $0.
https://ethereumworldnews.com/blockchain-investor-claims-bitcoin-will-plunge-zero/

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

tdtwedt
Gold Supporter

Postby tdtwedt » Sun Jan 27, 2019

Bitcoin investors are running from the crypto to invest in gold this year

Signs show that bitcoin investors are moving toward a more traditional commodity, says Jan Van Eck, CEO of Van Eck Associates.

"I do think that Bitcoin pulled a little bit of demand away from gold last year, in 2017," Van Eck told CNBC's "ETF Edge" on Wednesday. "Interestingly, we just polled 4,000 bitcoin investors and their number one investment for 2019 is actually gold. So gold lost to bitcoin and now it's going the other way."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/26/bitcoin ... odity.html
There are more ways than one to skin a cat.

trapperrick
Gold Supporter

Postby trapperrick » Sun Jan 27, 2019

SilverDoge wrote:
tdtwedt wrote:The opinion of Warren Buffett matters to me a lot more than your opinion.

Warren Buffet admits he missed the tech stocks in the early days like Apple & IBM because he didn't understand them. Probably a bad guy to take next level tech advice from. Perhaps a better public face would be Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. What is his opinion on crypto?

Dump facebook. Ethereum is a platform that was just like Apple's and could become as influential as his company became. Woz was "extremely upbeat" about ETH.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/montymunford/2018/05/18/apples-steve-wozniak-dumps-facebook-and-thinks-ethereum-could-be-the-new-apple/#cfc62683de5c

About a year ago the media took notice to Bitcoin and it's daily skyrocketing advances. It seemed like everyone wanted to jump in on the bandwagon and I have to admit that I was one of those. I obviously missed the boat on Bitcoin due to the high cost so I decided to start studying all crypto before jumping in and found Ethereum Classic (ETC) as a good low cost alternative and started with a small amount of $100.00 to invest in this just to see how it would work out. After holding steady for about 6 weeks or so it started to drop quickly and I bailed once my investment went below the $50.00 mark. It continued to drop and that total of $100.00 would have went as low as $9.00 but has been slowly rising again since then as on this date would be worth $22.50 which is still a 77.5% drop since August.
One of the more proponents against the Bitcoin phenomena was Warren Buffet. Most people basically rebutted saying that he was just old and out of touch. These days I tend to pay more attention to people like that. I still follow along but I am out as a player because it's just way too volitile and believe in my opinion was a fad. I know it's here to stay but I highly doubt the "get rich overnight" days of one year ago will happen again.
“I, Franklin D Roosevelt…do declare that said national emergency still continues to exist and…do hereby prohibit the hoarding of gold…”

EXECUTIVE ORDER 6102, issued by US president Franklin Delano Roosevelt on April 5th 1933, banned private gold ownership .

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Sun Jan 27, 2019

SilverDoge wrote:Warren Buffet admits he missed the tech stocks in the early days like Apple & IBM because he didn't understand them. Probably a bad guy to take next level tech advice from. Perhaps a better public face would be Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak. What is his opinion on crypto?

Woz owned quite a bit of Bitcoin, sold it at between $1-2K, and now holds exactly 1 Bitcoin.

trapperrick wrote:I know it's here to stay but I highly doubt the "get rich overnight" days of one year ago will happen again.

Bitcoin has had 10 "peak to trough" runs during its' short 10 year history. On a historically-adjusted basis, mid-summer 2020 should begin a run into the $40-$60K range.

I'm hardly an expert, but I (and another BS member) called the start of the previous run on BS in Sept 2016, at the $600 level. I expected $1200, it ran to almost $20K. If you're gonna be wrong, it's nice to be wrongly surprised at the results.

You mentioned ETC. I owned 1,000 ETC because I bought mine during the initial funding of ETH (31.5 cents). My 1,000 ETH cost me $317, and at the peak, was worth over $400,000. My ETC was FREE, since it was forked from ETH.

The crypto adoption phase has just started. I can understand your disillusionment, but I also encourage you to hang on your holdings, if you have any.

By the way, I was always leery of the Alt-Coins. The future outlook is bleak for the majority of those issues.
Last edited by Bucketeer on Tue Jan 29, 2019, edited 1 time in total.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Mon Jan 28, 2019

NYT: Despite Bitcoin’s Dive, a Former Soviet Republic Is Still Betting Big on It.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/business/georgia-bitcoin-blockchain-bitfury.html

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Tue Jan 29, 2019

Gemini.png
Gemini.png (314.94 KiB) Viewed 184 times

Hello,

In 2018, Gemini engaged with Big Four auditor Deloitte & Touche LLP (Deloitte) to execute a SOC 2® - SOC for Service Organizations Type 1 examination. After months of preparation and an in-depth external review, we are pleased to announce that Gemini has successfully completed its SOC 2 Type 1 examination. This makes Gemini the world’s first cryptocurrency exchange and custodian to demonstrate this level of security compliance in protecting customer data and funds.

Providing you with a safe and secure platform to buy, sell, and store your cryptocurrency is paramount to our mission to build the future of money. In the traditional financial and technology industries, SOC 2 reviews have become an industry standard for demonstrating security compliance. Our SOC 2 review — coupled with our digital asset insurance — is another step we’ve taken towards raising the bar for consumer protection, safeguards, and industry best practices.

Gemini’s exchange and custody platform was built with a “security-first” mentality from the start. Continuing that approach, Deloitte performed an independent evaluation of the design and implementation of Gemini's security controls. These controls have been independently inspected to meet the trust services criteria set by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA). This included a review of Gemini’s exchange application, infrastructure, and underlying customer database, as well as its institutional-grade cryptocurrency storage system that custodies the private keys of Gemini’s online and offline wallets.

We feel strongly that this standard of compliance is what all retail and institutional consumers should expect of their cryptocurrency exchange and custodian. We know what’s at stake when you trade and store crypto. That is why, in addition to our SOC 2 Type 1 review, we are also committed to obtaining our SOC 2 Type 2 review in 2019. This additional level of assurance will further validate the effectiveness of our internal controls.

Going forward, we will perform a SOC 2 examination on an annual basis in order to demonstrate our ongoing commitment to safeguarding your data and cryptocurrency.

For questions, please reach out to: support@gemini.com.

Yusuf Hussain, Head of Risk

If you ever receive a suspicious email from Gemini or the Gemini support team - or someone claiming to be us - please immediately forward it to security@gemini.com, and we will investigate it promptly and confidentially. Thanks for doing your part to help keep Gemini safe!

Copyright © 2018 Gemini Trust Company, All rights reserved.
600 Third Avenue, 2nd Floor, New York, NY 10016

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Kraken.png
Kraken.png (743.25 KiB) Viewed 178 times

You know Kraken. We have a genuine passion for crypto and we’re not afraid to speak our mind or have a unique point of view -- even if it gets us into trouble sometimes. We don’t blindly conform, even when it’s popular or safe to do so. Like crypto, we’re not afraid to be different.

Our branding should strongly reflect our values and personality.

We reveal today (to our more than 4,000,000 clients across nearly 200 countries) new branding, including a website redesign.

Your Guide to Experiencing the New Look of Kraken

We are Kraken. Don’t worry -- we’re not changing our name. Kraken is two syllables, fun to say, memorable, resonates with you emotionally, conjures strong mental imagery, doesn’t restrict our future offerings (e.g., no “bit”, “coin”, “block”, “chain”, “crypto”, etc.), contains an inherent sense of suspense and excitement, and plays on trading themes like liquidity, depth, dark pools, etc.

Kraken stands out in a sea of boring blue. A lot of companies, especially tech and financial services, like to use the color blue. It’s a safe and popular color, as well as associated with trust, honesty and dependability. The problem is that too many companies and brands use this color. As a result, blue then may as well be a boring beige. Bye-bye blue! Today we welcome a bolder color that is more unique, better represents our personality and is guaranteed to grab your attention. This new main color evokes feelings of richness and prestige, which is fitting considering Kraken has handled over $140,000,000,000 in trades and is one of the oldest and most respected crypto exchanges.

A colorful industry deserves a colorful palette. Something we really like about the crypto industry is its people. There’s something about this space that attracts the outspoken, devoted, opinionated, and eccentric. Our clients and team members are no different -- they are the most bright, colorful and interesting minds. In addition to the bold crypto community, the industry itself is constantly evolving -- it is alive, vibrant, fresh, and impactful. We have chosen to drape Kraken in a deliciously fitting and bold color scheme.

Crypto is a rabbit hole, and we are all Alice. Since learning about and experiencing crypto you may feel that you’ve been living a much more exhilarating, suspenseful, dramatic, and purposeful life. I guess that’s what happens when you join a global revolution. Crypto is a grand adventure that keeps you on the edge of your seat. It beckons the creative, rebellious and determined dreamers to rise and take action. This provocative spirit of crypto is brought to life in our new, adventure-themed illustrations. As you move around our site, allow your eyes to linger and get lost in the beautiful and quirky illustrations.

Are you ready for us, consumer market? Since 2013, we’ve been one of the most popular places to buy, sell, or trade crypto. A popular segment for us has always been pro traders who wield our advanced trading features and charts to turn profits. Our plan has been and will be to always keep our traders top of mind while expanding our appeal to all other segments and markets. In particular, we have known that our brand, personality and company mission have great potential in resonating with the consumer market. We haven’t been shy about stating our purpose. Kraken is here to pave the way for mass adoption of crypto and digital assets so that everyone can have financial freedom and inclusion. You will see our tone of voice, look and feel, products, UX, and interactions become more approachable, streamlined, easy-to-consume, and more cool and fun. Crypto is really freakin’ cool after all. It’s about time that the world knows this, too.

Kraken will continue to evolve. Expect more improvements made and illustrations added to the website, as well as advancements in trading interfaces and products. Go to our blog to learn more about our rebranding efforts.

Now you’re prepared for your crypto journey. Go to Kraken and get pulled into the intoxicating adventure that awaits you.

Thank you for choosing Kraken, the trusted and secure digital assets exchange.

The Kraken Team

This communication is a commercial message and its contents are intended for the recipient only and may contain confidential, non-public and/or privileged information. If you have received this communication in error, do not read, duplicate or distribute. Kraken does not make recommendations on the suitability of a particular asset class, strategy, or course of action. Any investment decision you make is solely your responsibility. Please consider your individual position and financial goals before making an independent investment decision.
Distributed by: Kraken.com, 237 Kearny St #102, San Francisco, CA 94108

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Tue Jan 29, 2019

Marketing, meh.
"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" Voltaire

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Color me embarrassed - I'll proof the material with more scrutiny before posting. :roll:

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Wed Jan 30, 2019

NYT: How Bitcoin Could Help Iran Undermine U.S. Sanctions
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/29/world/middleeast/bitcoin-iran-sanctions.html

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter