Bitcoins - fad or trend?

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Re: Bitcoins - fad or trend?

Postby SilverDoge » Tue Mar 21, 2017

jcz1 wrote:
You can probably use paypal to save money even in this case. Paypal now owns Xoom, which can be used to send money to a bank account in Italy, using your paypal funds. Even with a fee and possible exchange rate differences, it can't cost $45!

You can check it out right now - go into your paypal account, and select Send Money, then International. Choose Italy from the drop down and go from there, you should be able to get a cost of doing this if you have bank account details.

I will give this a try in the near future and see how/if it works. It appears as though they accept my Italian bank so we'll see. Fingers crossed.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Tue Mar 21, 2017

Long John wrote:Your friendly neighborhood devil's advocate here. Bank BTC uses different technology and terminology than Bank ABC to store the numbers representing your holdings, but that doesn't mean Bank BTC is forever immune from internal corruption or outside interference -- or surveillance. Ordinary citizens and investors are not the only ones attracted by the anonymous benefits of BTC, and the intelligence agencies know it.

Not exactly sure this analogy is working. There is no bank that holds my bitcoin long term. I might acquire bitcoin through an exchange (some based in US, others not) but I hold my own bitcoin. Currently it is on a KeepKey device which is smaller than a cell phone. One could hold it on that, or a Trezor, or Nano, etc. It is the private keys that hold the value. A "BTC bank" only holds the private keys if you let them. So sure, a BTC "bank" like Coinbase is subject to all US regulations, and in fact they are fighting the government right now who want all records of their members. Doesn't matter for those who hold their own bitcoin. If the cops seize my KeepKey it also doesn't matter. They don't know the PIN and I'm not giving it to them. I can simply buy another KeepKey, re-initialize it with my 12 word passphrase, and I have my bitcoin. The cops have nothing.

If intel agencies want to stop bitcoin, what do they do? Try to tell Congress to make mining crypto illegal? Fat chance. Even if they did, mining would still continue (both "illegally" in the US, and legally in 200 other countries). The gatekeepers of high finance will throw up many scary objections to the masses about crypto. Do you think it is because they have your best interests in mind, or their own?

Altima

Postby Altima » Tue Mar 21, 2017

Congrats to those who bought the dip at 950 ish. Seems like it's on the uptrend again.
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

agnostic
BS Supporter

Postby agnostic » Wed Mar 22, 2017

"Back in '82 I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile" --Uncle Rico

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Wed Mar 22, 2017

agnostic wrote:The hard fork issue... http://www.silverdoctors.com/headlines/ ... unlimited/

Yup. I like the YT channel Cryptoverse. Here is a quick episode talking Core vs Unlimited.

iron-pyrite
Zombie Apocalypse Supporter

Postby iron-pyrite » Thu Mar 23, 2017

Haven't seen the answer to this question yet.

After all the coins have been mined, what would the motivation be for large scale hashing of the blockchain?
ImageImageImage

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Thu Mar 23, 2017

iron-pyrite wrote:Haven't seen the answer to this question yet.

After all the coins have been mined, what would the motivation be for large scale hashing of the blockchain?

Transaction fees back to the miners to keep the blockchain updated. Tom alluded to this earlier in the thread and it makes sense to me as well.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Thu Mar 23, 2017

Bitcoin transmissions going slow today. I've sent 3 transactions on the network between .25 and .50 BTC each, and 2 of the 3 took about a half hour, and 1 is still not through after an hour. Ugh.

I can see why Dash and up and coming alt-coin PIVX are doing well in the last few weeks.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Fri Mar 24, 2017

Bitcoin under $1,000

iron-pyrite
Zombie Apocalypse Supporter

Postby iron-pyrite » Fri Mar 24, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:Bitcoin under $1,000

Dam! I just spent my $ on more gold! Maybe next week. Seems to be volatile to no end!
ImageImageImage

Brick's
Supporter

Postby Brick's » Fri Mar 24, 2017

iron-pyrite wrote:

Dam! I just spent my $ on more gold! Maybe next week. Seems to be volatile to no end!

KInda reminds me of silver.
"You pompously call your selves Republicans and Democrats. There is no Republican Party. There is no Democratic Party. There are no Republicans or Democrats in this house. You are Lick-Spittlers and panderers, the creatures of the plutocracy".
- Jack London

"It is a government of corporations, by corporations, and for corporations."
- Rutherford B. Hayes, 19th President

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Fri Mar 24, 2017

iron-pyrite wrote:

Volatility is back. The BTC dominance is at a very low level right now at 67%. Meaning that people are selling the bitcoins and shifting into alt-coins right now due to the slower transaction times, the higher network fees, and uncertainty about a possible bitcoin fork. It will be very interesting to see this play out and how the future of crypto will proceed.

Altima

Postby Altima » Fri Mar 24, 2017

Altima wrote:Congrats to those who bought the dip at 950 ish. Seems like it's on the uptrend again.

Oups I said too soon. Now it's back to buying territory.

Money seems to be flowing out of Bitcoin into ETH and other alt-coins at the moment. Lots of uncertainty of the forking issue.
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Sat Mar 25, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:Yet another reason to own bitcoin or crypto. I often think about international travel, but how about cops deciding you are a criminal for having "large" amounts of cash, valuables (precious metals), and seizing your assets with civil asset forfeiture laws without even charging you for a crime.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-2 ... b-us-blind

More property was seized by cops in 2014 than burglars. Let that sink in for a second.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... last-year/

Corrupt cops can't steal my bitcoin, and corrupt banks can't bail-in themselves or put capital controls on my bitcoin either. USA - the land of the free, until you've got cash or valuables on a federal highway. Got crypto?

Don't keep large amounts on your phone. Cops and many crooks know all about about Bitcoin.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Sun Mar 26, 2017

Altima wrote:
Altima wrote:Congrats to those who bought the dip at 950 ish. Seems like it's on the uptrend again.

Yes, down about $300 from the last time I was almost persuaded to buy in. But still not where I want to be for entry. Not sure exacty where that is :lol: but it wasn't $1250.

On the theory that the Fast Freddie Crypto Coins of the world will be weeded out, dotcom-style, presumably BTC will eventually gain some of this back.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Sun Mar 26, 2017

Long John wrote:
Altima wrote:

Yes, down about $300 from the last time I was almost persuaded to buy in. But still not where I want to be for entry. Not sure exacty where that is :lol: but it wasn't $1250.

On the theory that the Fast Freddie Crypto Coins of the world will be weeded out, dotcom-style, presumably BTC will eventually gain some of this back.

I am really only buying BTC currently for trading into Alt-coins until the BU versus Core debate has been resolved. BTC is a decent buy under $1k but could definitely go lower the longer this debate and in-fighting lasts. As for me, I will be doing most of my crypto gambling in some other coin and come back to BTC upon conclusion of the debate and possible fork.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Mon Mar 27, 2017

$1031 at the moment.

GDAX now has margin-trading.

Available Leverage

Market/Leverage/Margin Funding Limit
BTC/USD 3x $10,000
BTC/EUR 2x €3,000
ETH/USD 3x $5,000
ETH/BTC 2x 1 BTC
LTC/USD 2x $500
LTC/BTC 2x 0.5 BTC

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Tue Mar 28, 2017

SEC Denies SolidX Bitcoin ETF Proposal.

No real surprise here.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Wed Mar 29, 2017

Bucketeer wrote:SEC Denies SolidX Bitcoin ETF Proposal.

No real surprise here.

Yep. The surprise would have been an approval. Market yawn on this one.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Thu Mar 30, 2017

Anybody see this?

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bitcoin- ... men-tokens

Apparently you can get free stellar lumnens (alt coin) if you hold any bitcoin on 26JUN17.

Interesting.

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”