Bitcoins - fad or trend?

Discussion of all things crypto and blockchain.
natsb88
Turtle Supporter

Re: Bitcoins - fad or trend?

Postby natsb88 » Sun Nov 19, 2017

CaptainW wrote:
Long John wrote:Got an email, ostensibly from Coinbase, saying a smartphone in Russia was trying to get access to my account. If I want to stop that access, click on a link, which took me to a page that looked like a Coinbase sign-in page. If I'd signed in there, I don't doubt I would have sent my password to some bad actors. Classic phishing attempt: Prey on your fear that someone is trying to steal your money (or Bitcoin) ... which ironically is true.

The "Coinbase" email came from this actual address (no-reply@xn--conbase-0ya.com) which hides under a spoofed Coinbase address. They can't even spell Coinbase right.

The links hiding under "I Authorize This Computer" and "Cancel Request" are identical, a long URL at grrhut.com, so no matter which you clicked you're taken to the fake Coinbase sign-in page.

Beware this scam email ! And enable 2 Factor Authentication so no one can withdraw from your account without a randomly generated code that is sent to your mobile device.

I received one of these today. Thanks to your warning, I knew immediately what it was. :clap: :clap:

I got one the other day too. Are they sending these randomly and we just happen to have Coinbase accounts, or did they somehow get a hold of the Coinbase mailing list?

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Sun Nov 19, 2017

natsb88 wrote:I got one the other day too. Are they sending these randomly and we just happen to have Coinbase accounts, or did they somehow get a hold of the Coinbase mailing list?

My guess is that they get our email addresses from some crypto-related online activity, such as signing up for a newsletter or blog updates. We're into crypto, so more than likely we have Coinbase accounts.

Marchas45 wrote:Where do you keep your $'s Long John? Coinbase or some other site?

I keep Bitcoin and the money from selling it on Coinbase/GDAX, except funds I really mean to cash out. I think eventually it will all be cashed out (and subject to taxation) but for now I plan to use that cash to buy back more BTC at a lower price. I missed the chance to increase my BTC in the last big crash. :x If I'm wrong this time and there is no lower re-entry, I guess I will just have to settle for the cash. Which wouldn't upset my wife, I can tell you. She's getting it all eventually, anyway.

Long bulls keep their booty offline, which is safe and smart, but I want to be more nimble. With 2FA in place I'm satisfied with Coinbase's security. Even if I'd fallen for that phishing email the other day, the bad guys would have been blocked by 2FA. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't dare do what I'm doing.

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Postby SilverDoge » Mon Nov 20, 2017

With bitcoin over $8,000, it is only a 25% move away from the infamous $10,000 mark. I think that will trigger the next big pullback. The $10,000 level will have a high psychological resistance. Of course, that is for Western markets. If you live in Zimbabwe you are already paying over $13,000 per bitcoin:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-11-19/bitcoin-soars-record-high-above-8000-after-mugabe-speech

Bitcoin is currently trading at $13,499 on Golix exchange in Zimbabwe. According to Golix, it has processed over $1 million worth of transactions in the past 30 days, a sharp increase from its turnover of $100,000 for the entire year of 2016.

Bitcoin isn’t just being bought by individuals, but by businesses with bills to pay.

The Bitcoin premium of almost 100 percent is not because of the political issues, rather the high demand surrounding worry of collapse. Bitcoin again shows its potential and power when the banking system again shows its potential for mass collapse and hysteria.

This is a trial run for when larger currencies fail. Take note.

MaxGravy
Site Admin

Postby MaxGravy » Mon Nov 20, 2017

ImageImageImage
Don't grow up - it's a trap!

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Got QRL? It doesn't have that same "Got Milk" ring to it though.

Perhaps a better slogan: Is your crypto quantum secure? QRL

Quantum Resistance Ledger thread here: http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=28136

My largest holdings: NEO, QRL, DBET & Bitcoin

Long John
Turtle Supporter

Postby Long John » Mon Nov 20, 2017

SilverDoge wrote: If you live in Zimbabwe you are already paying over $13,000 per bitcoin.

People in Zimbabwe can't buy Bitcoin on exchanges outside their country? Obviously not, or the arbitrage taking place would be huge.

Long John
Turtle Supporter

$8248. I was going to sell some more at $8200 but I think it's got more legs. Maybe wait for $8500. It's odd how I've become almost numb to these prices. I ought to be in a state of :shock: as it keeps climbing.

Every time it crashes, it's followed by new highs. This is maybe the 5th time this year?

Long John
Turtle Supporter

It has been suggested that a blow-by-blow account of my crypto dealings is annoying and smacks of gloating. That was not my intention, as I have admitted mistakes as well (I could easily be 2 or 3 times better off), but point taken and I will dial it down. :oops:

Long John
Turtle Supporter

An interesting opinion piece by a member of the Chicago Mercantile Exchange, responding to concerns on both sides of the pending launch of Bitcoins futures on the CME.

https://www.coindesk.com/fud-sides-defe ... ures-plan/

grantwoodisgold

Postby grantwoodisgold » Mon Nov 20, 2017

Long John wrote:It has been suggested that a blow-by-blow account of my crypto dealings is annoying and smacks of gloating. That was not my intention, as I have admitted mistakes as well (I could easily be 2 or 3 times better off), but point taken and I will dial it down. :oops:

on the other side..... i have appreciated your (and others) dealing details and have learned much about how different people use/view/etc "assets" as compared to me :thumbup:
"SAUSAGE FLAVORED MEAT PELLETS, GRADE D BUT EDIBLE"
"Better 1 or 2 years early than 1 day late"

cmiller17363

Postby cmiller17363 » Mon Nov 20, 2017

grantwoodisgold wrote:
Long John wrote:It has been suggested that a blow-by-blow account of my crypto dealings is annoying and smacks of gloating. That was not my intention, as I have admitted mistakes as well (I could easily be 2 or 3 times better off), but point taken and I will dial it down. :oops:

on the other side..... i have appreciated your (and others) dealing details and have learned much about how different people use/view/etc "assets" as compared to me :thumbup:

Ditto.
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else." -Adrian Rogers

agnostic
BS Supporter

Postby agnostic » Mon Nov 20, 2017

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YSn7Iomisyc
This fellow answers many questions I've had about Cryptos. Human nature is
Inherently greedy. AI is taking advantage of this. This video is worth your time.
"Back in '82 I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile" --Uncle Rico

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Between the ATH in bitcoin, the near high's in ETH, and the bounce of NEO over $40, I have decided to make a move. I have transitioned about 10% of my crypto portfolio and moved it onto GDAX and am now ready to buy back in during a possible big dip. I don't know how large the next big dip will be. It depends on the catalyst. However, if this USDT Tether situation takes down Bitfinex - which has the most bitcoin trading volume among all exchanges (9%), then it could be a major pullback. If you don't know what I'm referring to, see this thread: http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=29085

It is the same reason I am such a fan of QRL. I like to hedge against tail risk, and the more likely an "unlikely" tail risk becomes the more interested I get.

I was relatively new to crypto when we had the first real big crash from about $1,100 down to $220 over the course of a year plus (thanks Mt Gox). That was somewhat painful, and a collapse by an exchange should not have a similar 80% decline in price because there are so many exchanges now. But it won't be the exchange that creates the main problem, but the loss of faith in the USDT trading pair coupled with the largest exchange blowing up could cause a 50% (or more?) pullback, if it happens. The haters will come out in force if this does go down. But it will also be the absolute best time to buy back in. We don't need USDT anyway, and Bitfinex is merely one of dozens of exchanges. But if/when we see a 25-30% drop in price, those new to crypto who haven't really experienced this type of pullback will get to test their mettle. I have a buy order in at $1,001 per bitcoin at GDAX now, just in case ;)

agnostic
BS Supporter

Postby agnostic » Mon Nov 20, 2017

"Back in '82 I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile" --Uncle Rico

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

Postby Bucketeer » Mon Nov 20, 2017

Hey ya'all, I would like to suggest that you don't trust Gmail with your online wallets password or your crypto addresses. I've just lost $15,000 in gains from a $600 investment because, as far as I can consider it, it was Gmail that was the weak link in the chain. I'm not sure, and I can't prove it, but if you make a transaction, I would suggest that don't use Gmail for a large purchase. Call the other party on the telephone and give them your address. I'm not blaming Google or Gmail for this loss. It was a stupid mistake on my part, a complete lax of security. Bitcoin passwords are long and a pain in the butt, but it is totally more secure than emailing a password to a stranger.

Thanks to God for my KeepKey, all of my Bitcoins are safe and secure. Don't store Crypto on if you use a personal email address or a hot wallet. If you do buy Crypto, get a cold hardware wallet, or buy the IPO (not icos). Bullion Stackers is about making money, and not about losing it.

Good insurance is cheap. You can buy an Win 10 AcePC for $179, and when you buy Bitcoin, take the AcePC off line. Cell phones are not safe devices. Do not trust your phone for storage, they are spy devices. Buy an AcePC and keep it offline and unpowered until you want to cash out.
Last edited by Bucketeer on Mon Nov 20, 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

A $15000 loss. I look at my wallet and say "WTF Tom?" Be secure, and don't be a dummy like me.
Last edited by Bucketeer on Mon Nov 20, 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

SilverDoge wrote:Between the ATH in bitcoin, the near high's in ETH, and the bounce of NEO over $40, I have decided to make a move. I have transitioned about 10% of my crypto portfolio and moved it onto GDAX and am now ready to buy back in during a possible big dip. I don't know how large the next big dip will be. It depends on the catalyst. However, if this USDT Tether situation takes down Bitfinex - which has the most bitcoin trading volume among all exchanges (9%), then it could be a major pullback. If you don't know what I'm referring to, see this thread: http://www.bullionstacker.com/viewtopic.php?f=108&t=29085

It is the same reason I am such a fan of QRL. I like to hedge against tail risk, and the more likely an "unlikely" tail risk becomes the more interested I get.

I was relatively new to crypto when we had the first real big crash from about $1,100 down to $220 over the course of a year plus (thanks Mt Gox). That was somewhat painful, and a collapse by an exchange should not have a similar 80% decline in price because there are so many exchanges now. But it won't be the exchange that creates the main problem, but the loss of faith in the USDT trading pair coupled with the largest exchange blowing up could cause a 50% (or more?) pullback, if it happens. The haters will come out in force if this does go down. But it will also be the absolute best time to buy back in. We don't need USDT anyway, and Bitfinex is merely one of dozens of exchanges. But if/when we see a 25-30% drop in price, those new to crypto who haven't really experienced this type of pullback will get to test their mettle. I have a buy order in at $1,001 per bitcoin at GDAX now, just in case ;)

You've got a $1001 buy order on GDAX??? It makes sense to me, but I've never considered it. I don't have all that much money in Bitcoin, but Bitcoin will always have value. I'm gonna place a GDAX buy at $1003. Sorry bro!

SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter

Bucketeer wrote:Hey ya'all, I would like to suggest that you don't trust Gmail with your online wallets password or your crypto addresses. I've just lost $15,000 in gains from a $600 investment because, as far as I can consider it, it was Gmail that was the weak link in the chain. I'm not sure, and I can't prove it, but if you make a transaction, I would suggest that don't use Gmail for a large purchase.

I'm not sure how you lost the funds? Were you storing a private key somewhere on Gmail's server?

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

agnostic wrote:https://singularitynet.io

A great link. I'm a old guy, and I'll glad I'm dead before the Singularity happens. I pity my grandchildren.
Last edited by Bucketeer on Mon Nov 20, 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter

SilverDoge wrote:
Bucketeer wrote:Hey ya'all, I would like to suggest that you don't trust Gmail with your online wallets password or your crypto addresses. I've just lost $15,000 in gains from a $600 investment because, as far as I can consider it, it was Gmail that was the weak link in the chain. I'm not sure, and I can't prove it, but if you make a transaction, I would suggest that don't use Gmail for a large purchase.

I'm not sure how you lost the funds? Were you storing a private key somewhere on Gmail's server?

Yep, I was. Thieves are everywhere. Be safe and be secure. If hackers can crack the CIA, NSA, and Social Security, why would you believe that Gmail is secure?

Use a hardware wallet, or a paper wallet, but get it off the web!
Last edited by Bucketeer on Mon Nov 20, 2017, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Bitcoin/Crypto/Blockchain”