Alt-Coins

User avatar
SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter
Posts: 2426
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014
Location: Italy

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby SilverDoge » Thu May 18, 2017

silverpv wrote:
Bucketeer wrote:Don't forget to mention that Ethereum has had 5 hard forks in its' short existence.


When i read about the last hard fork, with the DAO attack where Ethereum split between ETH and ETC Ethereum Classic. This was interesting because it does point to Vitalik, the creator of Ethereum as the centralized authority of a decentralized system. It showed that there can be very costly flaws in smart contracts where would be hackers can legitimately 'steal' based on an error in the contract.


My hope is that Quantum (Qtum) may present a solution for this issue. But it is so technologically advanced that I'm not really able to make that case.
ImageImageImage
Proverbs 21:19-20 Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife. The wise store up choice food and olive oil, but fools gulp theirs down.

silverpv
Gold Supporter
Posts: 792
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby silverpv » Thu May 18, 2017

Just read the whitepaper on qtum and no this would not have helped because the smart contract still could've had an issue which they could've taken advantage of. It would still be possible to do the DAO attack. A few issues of what qtum bases their framework on will be addressed when Ethereum goes to POS, section 4.3. Also, flawed logic is flawed logic. From what i've read it wouldn't have stopped something like that but it does offer a framework. But there's nothing to say that the QSCL would be correct either. A flaw in a contract is a loophole, that has to be closed. Doesn't matter the language, the difference is it is not congress, developers will fix it a lot faster.

User avatar
Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014
Location: Warily watching the herd.

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby Bucketeer » Thu May 18, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:
silverpv wrote:
Bucketeer wrote:Don't forget to mention that Ethereum has had 5 hard forks in its' short existence.


When i read about the last hard fork, with the DAO attack where Ethereum split between ETH and ETC Ethereum Classic. This was interesting because it does point to Vitalik, the creator of Ethereum as the centralized authority of a decentralized system. It showed that there can be very costly flaws in smart contracts where would be hackers can legitimately 'steal' based on an error in the contract.


My hope is that Quantum (Qtum) may present a solution for this issue. But it is so technologically advanced that I'm not really able to make that case.

Qtum is, as I understand it, a bridge between Bitcoin and Ethereum contracts.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

User avatar
SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter
Posts: 2426
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014
Location: Italy

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby SilverDoge » Fri May 19, 2017

Here are the current ICO's that interest me, in order of when they go live. I like the ideas behind both Storj and NVO, but I think I like the final 3 might be better. Therefore I may have to pass on the first two and save for the final 3.

Storj - 19 MAY (starts in 5 hours) - https://storj.io/tokensale

NVO - 23 MAY http://nvo.io/

Bancor - 30 MAY https://bancor.network/

BAT - 31 MAY - Chris Coney believes this could be a game changer. He has 3 separate YT vids discussing this one. More to follow.

Tezos JUNE - https://www.tezos.com/static/papers/Tezos_Overview.pdf
ImageImageImage
Proverbs 21:19-20 Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife. The wise store up choice food and olive oil, but fools gulp theirs down.

Altima
Posts: 886
Joined: Sat May 10, 2014
Location: Canada/Singapore

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby Altima » Fri May 19, 2017

I don't like Ethereum-based crowdsales cos the hype is REAL.

I barely made it for the Aragon crowdsale and now the price is still around $1.50. Wish I could have thrown more ETH that way. Easy 50% profit! nd I hope I jinx this cos I want the price to go lower so I can buy more! :lol:
"Two things define you. Your patience when you have nothing, and your attitude when you have everything."

User avatar
Long John
Turtle Supporter
Posts: 2617
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016
Location: Northeast

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby Long John » Fri May 19, 2017

The pragmatist in me says the number of cryptos will condense by 75% in a few years, by elimination and consolidation. In 10 years there might be less than 50 different coins total, compared to nearly 700 now. Of course some of the coins have something going for them, but a lot are designed to make money in the short term and that's all. Even the ones with a good story, good model, good goals, good dev team, good press... not all will make it.

I am not altruistic, I know some of the coins I hold are not long-term winners. For me they are a means to build Bitcoin, Litecoin and Ethereum, the foundation. On the second tier is PIVX, XEM, and one or two others I think will survive and thrive. Others I'm using in a quite mercenary and cynical manner, such as Ripple. (And they're using me, sometimes, but no need to dwell on that. :shh: ) I'm under no illusion that every coin I speculate on is a "good" one. If you have to pick one blindly, I'd pick one recommended by Travis. :thumbup:

silverpv
Gold Supporter
Posts: 792
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2015
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby silverpv » Fri May 19, 2017

ETH $130!!

User avatar
Long John
Turtle Supporter
Posts: 2617
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016
Location: Northeast

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby Long John » Fri May 19, 2017

silverpv wrote:ETH $130!!

You know, a few weeks ago I was deciding what to allocate to ETH and LTC. This was even before LTC appeared on Coinbase. I thought ETH was overpriced and overforked, and LTC had more room to grow. So only got a handful of ETH and put more money into LTC. For awhile LTC was looking like the better choice, but now ETH is kicking azz. I'm still liking the gains for LTC, but wishing I had more of ETH.

User avatar
SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter
Posts: 2426
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014
Location: Italy

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby SilverDoge » Sat May 20, 2017

Long John wrote:
silverpv wrote:ETH $130!!

You know, a few weeks ago I was deciding what to allocate to ETH and LTC. This was even before LTC appeared on Coinbase. I thought ETH was overpriced and overforked, and LTC had more room to grow. So only got a handful of ETH and put more money into LTC. For awhile LTC was looking like the better choice, but now ETH is kicking azz. I'm still liking the gains for LTC, but wishing I had more of ETH.


Ok, so over the next 10 days, which is going to outperform... BTC or ETH?

I'm going to need ETH for the upcoming ICO, but I'm currently holding some funds as BTC. Should I change it out now, or closer to ICO time?
ImageImageImage
Proverbs 21:19-20 Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife. The wise store up choice food and olive oil, but fools gulp theirs down.

User avatar
Long John
Turtle Supporter
Posts: 2617
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016
Location: Northeast

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby Long John » Sat May 20, 2017

BTC at this moment is $2050, ETH is $125. So the B/E ratio is 16.4. I'm thinking it could rise a little higher, more due to a ETH pullback than BTC outpacing it upward. I've been thinking of converting a little BTC to ETH, I only had few of the latter for the quick runup. But I'm waiting for an ETH dip... (noob wisdom!) :lol:

User avatar
silverbender
Gold Supporter
Posts: 881
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015
Location: Ohio

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby silverbender » Sat May 20, 2017

SilverDoge wrote:
Long John wrote:
silverpv wrote:ETH $130!!

You know, a few weeks ago I was deciding what to allocate to ETH and LTC. This was even before LTC appeared on Coinbase. I thought ETH was overpriced and overforked, and LTC had more room to grow. So only got a handful of ETH and put more money into LTC. For awhile LTC was looking like the better choice, but now ETH is kicking azz. I'm still liking the gains for LTC, but wishing I had more of ETH.


Ok, so over the next 10 days, which is going to outperform... BTC or ETH?

I'm going to need ETH for the upcoming ICO, but I'm currently holding some funds as BTC. Should I change it out now, or closer to ICO time?


I like to pull out to cash to preserve the gains, in your case I would look to cash out the btc near this ath then anticipate eth dropping at the moment the meetings results hit. There should be a short time frame drop and recovery. Not sure how btc will react to good eth news.Buy the rumor sell the news seems to usually happen.

I do have trouble myself executing well thought out plans though lol
Image

User avatar
SilverDoge
Constitutional Supporter
Posts: 2426
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2014
Location: Italy

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby SilverDoge » Sat May 20, 2017

Altima wrote:Nice run for Bitcoin and Ethereum (new all time highs). I decided to do another possible scenario as I have limited funds and need to make a calculated risk.

Some pundits are saying Bitcoin will run up to $2000, while I personally think Ethereum should not have a problem reaching $100 one day. However, I noticed that PIVX just needs to hit the previous high in order to more or less achieve a good profit.

Decisions decisions... :?

Image


I hereby concede on being completely wrong on this one. BTC to $2,000 and ETH above $100 both have now hit according to your earlier predictions. PIVX still only $1.15 (lower price than the time of your post).
ImageImageImage
Proverbs 21:19-20 Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and nagging wife. The wise store up choice food and olive oil, but fools gulp theirs down.

User avatar
Long John
Turtle Supporter
Posts: 2617
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016
Location: Northeast

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby Long John » Sat May 20, 2017

ETH is actually down a bit, if you call $123 "down" ... and BTC is steaming ahead toward $2100. This is crazy. I sold some shitcoin and 5 minutes later the BTC return for it was worth $28 more. This is exciting stuff, but it makes me uneasy.

Since ETH is dipping a bit and BTC is climbing, the ratio is up to 16.8 and I'm wavering on converting a little. I feel woefully thin on ETH. Of course the time to buy more was when it was $75, not now, but that ship sailed. Maybe the ratio was about the same then, I haven't checked.

User avatar
JDawg
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby JDawg » Sat May 20, 2017

I'm really green when it comes to cryptos. I would like to start trading them. I only know of Coinbase to do so. Is that what you guys use? I saw where you can link a bank account to it. I'm not so sure about that, but I do have a secondary account that I rarely use. Just wondering what you guys use to trade? I was going to get into Ether and watched it triple from when I started following. Any opinions on another good low priced crypto for short term potential?
https://r.capitalone360.com/qbaeJ7aqX6

Use my above link to open a Capital One 360 account and we both get $20. Great account -highly recommend!

Great way to get cash back for shopping online! Use my referral link and we both get cash back - https://www.ebates.com/r/JDAWG121

User avatar
Silversaving
Posts: 428
Joined: Wed May 20, 2015
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby Silversaving » Sat May 20, 2017

JDawg wrote:I'm really green when it comes to cryptos. I would like to start trading them. I only know of Coinbase to do so. Is that what you guys use? I saw where you can link a bank account to it. I'm not so sure about that, but I do have a secondary account that I rarely use. Just wondering what you guys use to trade? I was going to get into Ether and watched it triple from when I started following. Any opinions on another good low priced crypto for short term potential?


Coinbase is just your entry point into a crypto. From there you'll want to open an account on a trading platform. I use Bittrex. Others prefer Poloniex (they have some issues though). After your account is open, you can send any crypto that exchange has to fund your account and then trade/convert to what you want there.

As for "short term potential", what's short term for you? I'm personally looking about two months out. I'm a fan right now of Golem, NEM, Gamecredits, & Stratis. But you'll likely find a million different opinions from a million people. Just read, watch, and research a bit and you'll be fine. This is a HUGE bull market. About everything will give you a decent profit if you just hold it long enough. Just in the last few months I've watched the total market cap go from $30 billion to over $70 billion....it's hard to lose money in those conditions.

User avatar
Bucketeer
Bearish Supporter
Posts: 1727
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014
Location: Warily watching the herd.

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby Bucketeer » Sun May 21, 2017

Silversaving wrote:it's hard to lose money in those conditions.


Being Bearish, that is music to my ears. Just keep talking, we're fueling the steam-roller right now.
Gentlemen prefer Engelhard.

User avatar
Long John
Turtle Supporter
Posts: 2617
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016
Location: Northeast

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby Long John » Sun May 21, 2017

Silversaving wrote:It's hard to lose money in those conditions.

Hard, but not beyond our abilities. Practice, work diligently at buying green and selling red, and you will soon be losing money like a pro. Some natural skill at the craft is helpful, but not required. If you're good at losing money in precious metals, you've already got a head start.

User avatar
JDawg
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby JDawg » Sun May 21, 2017

Silversaving wrote:
JDawg wrote:I'm really green when it comes to cryptos. I would like to start trading them. I only know of Coinbase to do so. Is that what you guys use? I saw where you can link a bank account to it. I'm not so sure about that, but I do have a secondary account that I rarely use. Just wondering what you guys use to trade? I was going to get into Ether and watched it triple from when I started following. Any opinions on another good low priced crypto for short term potential?


Coinbase is just your entry point into a crypto. From there you'll want to open an account on a trading platform. I use Bittrex. Others prefer Poloniex (they have some issues though). After your account is open, you can send any crypto that exchange has to fund your account and then trade/convert to what you want there.

As for "short term potential", what's short term for you? I'm personally looking about two months out. I'm a fan right now of Golem, NEM, Gamecredits, & Stratis. But you'll likely find a million different opinions from a million people. Just read, watch, and research a bit and you'll be fine. This is a HUGE bull market. About everything will give you a decent profit if you just hold it long enough. Just in the last few months I've watched the total market cap go from $30 billion to over $70 billion....it's hard to lose money in those conditions.


Thanks for the response! I appreciate the input. I am looking into opening an account with Coinbase and Bittrex. Short term to me is about the same 2-3 months out. I'm going to get reading and researching and hopefully can figure this stuff out. :lol:
https://r.capitalone360.com/qbaeJ7aqX6

Use my above link to open a Capital One 360 account and we both get $20. Great account -highly recommend!

Great way to get cash back for shopping online! Use my referral link and we both get cash back - https://www.ebates.com/r/JDAWG121

User avatar
Long John
Turtle Supporter
Posts: 2617
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2016
Location: Northeast

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby Long John » Sun May 21, 2017

Hey JDawg. Recommend you start small, so you don't lose your shirt (and your shorts, pants, socks) when you make mistakes. It's tempting to go all in when you think you have some hot info, but try it a few times with a small amount to learn the ropes. Buy the tall red candle, sell the tall green candle. If that doesn't make sense now, it will soon. :lol: It basically translates to buy low, sell high. Brilliant advice, eh? As our fearless leader might say, I just invented it today. Good luck!

User avatar
JDawg
Posts: 250
Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2014

Re: Alt-Coins

Postby JDawg » Sun May 21, 2017

Thanks John!

I intend to start small. If I can ever get my account funded, what a pain in the @ss. Cryptos have had a hell of a run in the last month. It seems like they should correct a bit, but the momentum is certainly there to continue going up. I wish I had got into the game a few years ago. I tended to stay away because I didn't truly understand how they work (and still don't), but figured it is time to get in. I like to be diversified. :D
https://r.capitalone360.com/qbaeJ7aqX6

Use my above link to open a Capital One 360 account and we both get $20. Great account -highly recommend!

Great way to get cash back for shopping online! Use my referral link and we both get cash back - https://www.ebates.com/r/JDAWG121


Return to “Bitcoin”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests